PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady: Mich vs Mich St 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pisa

Rookie
Reaction score
They just replayed this contest under the Big Ten's Greatest games on channel 613 on directv.

I still wonder Tom Brady lasted so long in the draft. I just watched this game between two undefeated teams, State being coached by Nick Saban. Michigan State won the game with a great performance from Plaxico Burress, 255 reception yards. Michigan had the good offensive line with Backus and Hutchinson and featured the running of Touchdown Thomas. The played the phenom QB Drew Henson along with the senior vet Tom Brady.

With Michigan State leading 27 to 10, Lloyd Carr decided to go with Brady at QB and he almost brought his team back all the way. He finished with 30 of 41 for two touchdowns and on the last two drives was 18/20. He made a star of David Terrell and his other receivers were Knight, Walker and Johnson. He threw every type of pass, long and short, touch and power. He was under great pressure because Saban was always sending somebody, once two CB's. He showed a good release, tremendous poise and good leadership. He also took a couple of big hits. He threw one ball nearly 60 yards on one incompletion. The concern about him according to Joel Buchsbaum was that he was rail thin at 6'4 +, 193 and not athletic.

Brady also had a tremendous game in college finale when he led Michigan to victory over a good Alabama team and had stellar stats. I would guess that a lot of people at the Mich-Mich St game would not have been surprised by Brady's subsequent success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes