PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady lost the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 34, I wasn't 23 anymore. That said, he's just the one of the best in the game now, with people hanging on to the need for him to still be the best, just as, when he was the best, people were hanging on to reasons that he wasn't that special.

He's a very good QB. He lost.

I have to say, this one stings less than the grandiose 08 coronation season screw-up. We were supposed to be a sort of "meh" team, pretty good but definitely with all sorts of holes. Not "perfect." I would not have been shocked by a win and I'm not shocked by a loss.

I can piss and moan about Brady, but he was right on target most of the game. I could piss and moan about the Welker drop. But it's a game. Welker is a very good player. Brady is a very good player. Lots of other building blocks, no suicide watch here. But it hurts, and when it hurts you go looking for a "reason."

Reason is, they played a better game than us.

Been watching Patriot football long before Brady got here. This game was there to be won and this offense was shutout in the 4th qtr. Don't want to hear a word about the defense. This Patriot D kept the Patriots in the game in the 1st half when Tom had his head up his bum and they held the Giants to freakin' FG's as Tom was re-inserting his head up him bum in the 3rd and 4th qtrs.
A BIG part of the problem is the offense is left to Brady. Starting next season the coaching staff has to gain control of the playcalling and it has to stay with them. Brady has shown he can no longer deliver in the big moments therefore he needs to go back to being a game manager (that's when we were winning SB's) and the coaches need to control the gameplan.
This team has failed to win ANYTHING since it became all about Tommy.

Brady was the best player we had on the field today.

This loss is on

Welker
Brady
& Mankins

in that order!

No, it's not. Mankins had almost nothing to do with the loss. Especially when you factor in the drops by Branch and Hernandez.

I gritted my teeth and watched the replay of the Welker drop.

To me it looked like Brady put the ball to the side of Welker it needed to be to beat the coverage, but Welker turned the wrong way on the ball and so ended up having to twist all the way around.

What satisfaction do fans get blaming a single person for a loss?

Tom Brady didn't lose the game. The New England Patriots lost the game, and the New York Giants won the game. Why isn't that acceptable?

Does pointing the figure, partitioning blame, and suggesting ludicrous changes soften the punch to the gut?

Come on guys. The Patriots fought hard all season and they were in the game until the very end.

It sucks. I f*cking hate this feeling, but it'll be August soon.

Go Pats.

Yup......he lost the game. He got the ball twice with a chance to go up 2 scores which would have put this game away........between the fact that he really can't make the long throw anymore, and the fact that he could not get the ball in front of branch instead of behind him, he lost this game. He had it.....and he lost it.

Kudos to the defense

Brady did nothing against the ravens and now the giants.
Face it; its not the old Brady we are seeing.
Defense did their job!

HUH? So, it's Brady's fault that he hit's Branch and Hernandez and they drop the ball. It's Brady's fault that Welker gets both hands on the ball and drops it before he even hits the ground?

:rolleyes:

I know this is going to get some heat from you guys, but yes, it is Brady. He's not the best ever. This was his defining moment and he made inexplicable mental errors on the first possession with the safety and then again with the bomb to Gronk which was like watching a slow motion car crash again, except this time it wasn't Slater trying to get a rainbow ball in the deep middle against reed and pollard it was Gronk over the deep middle gimping for a ball on a stub of a leg. I've had season ticket for 18 years and I hate to say this but I've seen him choke in person over and over in the big games since 07. The ticket prices are insane and reflect the success of the past. The bottom line is our 15th ranked defense played well enough to win tonight but the Brady of old is gone and its time to look the the future at the position.

You need to give your season tickets up ASAP. It's downright scary how someone can actually attend games and come up with such moronic conclusions.

What satisfaction do fans get blaming a single person for a loss?

Tom Brady didn't lose the game. The New England Patriots lost the game, and the New York Giants won the game. Why isn't that acceptable?

Does pointing the figure, partitioning blame, and suggesting ludicrous changes soften the punch to the gut?
Go Pats.

it's what simple minds do

Tom Brady lost the game in the first quarter. But then Tom Brady also won us the game for the next 2. And then I still think he played well in the 4th quarter and on the final drive. And there were a lot of other players that cost and won us the game, as well as coaches decisions.

I honestly think the clock rushed the receivers into making those rushed catches. I didn't think he was rushing his passes. I thought he did a lot of great footwork in the pocket, some nice roll outs to escape pressure, hung in there and delivered great throws, especially on 4th down.

But when you are at the 50 yard line have 9 seconds left, there's not much even a clutch QB can do. You put it up and hope someone comes down with it. That's all Eli did last time.

In their case they had a guy that came down with it. In our case, we didn't.

But in the end, I was very happy to see Brady play the way he did. Big boneheaded play in the first quarter. Other than that, I think he did fine and fought tooth and nail to bring us back.

Way to go Tom. You still have my utmost respect.

The ENTIRE NFL will laugh at this franchise if they follow the advise of many in here, and cut their starting QB. Be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Yep, in hindsight this looks like a missed pick. Smith would definitely look good on the Pats, assuming Brady would have thrown the ball to him. I'm not convinced Smith would have spent much time on the field.

Both barrels of hindsight coming for the next what, 4 months?

Christ, not this again.

Hey Augustus, ya genius, who were the fu(ktards on the other 31 squads who whiffed on Hernandez and Gronkowski?

Moronic draftites coming out early...

Packers fans went through something very similar. Favre is a legend & sure hall of famer. Favre stops committing to the offseason program for years at a time. Favre has great regular seasons. Favre plays sub par in the playoffs consistently year after year as he ages. Packers fans attack each other as the fan base divides into two camps ( keep him forever vs. he's past his prime ).

As the Patriots reach 8 years without a Superbowl win, and Brady turns 35, I expect the same division to occur in Patriots nation.

Excellent comparison. Lets hope Ryan Mallet can be the next Rogers.

Purple drunk and swimming in my own vomit, I wouldn't make that comment. Equally stupid as the "Trade Brady, Cassel is the future" threads/posts.

Think rationally people. I know it's hard to use reason after an emotional loss - this should be a signal to not post?

Not drunk at all. I know what I see and what I see is the Patriots had an 8 point lead with 11 minutes left to go in the 3rd qtr and never scored another point against a very good but not great Giant defense.
You think Mr. Brady is going to get better with age when all he's done is get worse as a playoff performer the older he gotten??

When I was 34, I wasn't 23 anymore. That said, he's just the one of the best in the game now, with people hanging on to the need for him to still be the best, just as, when he was the best, people were hanging on to reasons that he wasn't that special.

He's a very good QB. He lost.

I have to say, this one stings less than the grandiose 08 coronation season screw-up. We were supposed to be a sort of "meh" team, pretty good but definitely with all sorts of holes. Not "perfect." I would not have been shocked by a win and I'm not shocked by a loss.

I can piss and moan about Brady, but he was right on target most of the game. I could piss and moan about the Welker drop. But it's a game. Welker is a very good player. Brady is a very good player. Lots of other building blocks, no suicide watch here. But it hurts, and when it hurts you go looking for a "reason."

Reason is, they played a better game than us.

Good, sensible post. OP and others here please take note.

Brady deserves some of the blame as do multiple players as well as the whole team. You are a blind homer if you don't see that. After the WW drop (a pass which was catchable but still not a great pass), Branch was there for the most critical third down play of the game and Brady badly threw it behind him. Then, after the Patriots got the ball with 57 seconds to go, Brady again threw the ball badly behind a very open Branch. That pass was going to go to about the 45 or 50 yard line too - and using the timeout then would have put the Patriots at about the 50 with 50 seconds to play.

Brady didn't throw the ball badly behind Branch on the last drive. It was tipped by Kenny Philips. If Philips doesn't get his hand on it, Branch has it and is off to the races. Helps to watch the replays they show on TV.

Brady played well for a good chunk of the game. His last of the half and opening third quarter drives were superb. But in the gut wrenching clutch, he did not make the plays he had to (as several others didn't). I have no idea why he doesn't get a share of the blame for that....

Brady does share SOME of the blame. But, the OP and others are talking out their arse when they put ALL the blame on Brady.

Is Brady a receiver? Does Brady play defense? does he stop guys on 3rd downs?

When was the last time Brady played was very good or better in the playoffs?

Against the jags in 2005 or 2006?

Had had this game in his hands, got hit, and it became a downward spiral...manning didn't have to be anything special because Brady kept giving him chances.

Brady did not play his best game in SB 42, divisional loss to BAL in the '09 season, divisional loss to NYJ in the '10 season, and the loss today. Agreed?

Think about the alternative to Brady. Aaron Rodgers won't be wearing a Patriots jersey once Brady leaves. The NFL is a win now league.

A good QB and a good HC will always give you a shot in today's NFL.

I'd really like to hear a feasible scenario where trading/releasing Brady benefits the team in the short and long term. Unless Mallett is the next Brady, I can't imagine such a scenario.

HUH? So, it's Brady's fault that he hit's Branch and Hernandez and they drop the ball. It's Brady's fault that Welker gets both hands on the ball and drops it before he even hits the ground?

:rolleyes:

I saw to throws to a wide open branch go behind him. I saw yet another under thrown long ball that needed so much air under it, that even chase blackburnncould get 50 yards down the field for an INT.

He got hit, and stopped playing well.....the giants DL was right

Patriots should be so lucky as to be Able to get rid of Brady. Draft, Matt Flynn, Hoyer or Mallet would all be acceptable. Putting Hoyer in for the transitional period would be best and then the pats can decide if Mallet can be the guy. Or if the scouts are sure on Flynn, make a go at him. But the team has to move on from Brady if it wants to get better. Staying with Brady would be the equivalent of the team becoming terminal and dying a slow death.

Reading any more of your posts is the equivalent of becoming terminal and dying a slow death.

Pure idiocy.

Brady was the best player we had on the field today.

sure looked like it....16 in a row broke a record

to win a game like the Super Bowl you have to make five or six key plays...the Giants made every one...the safety, recovering every fumble they made. ther Welker drop, the Branch drop, the unconscious Manningham catch...all of it went the giants way...they won...about all you can say...Brady put the ball right on Welker's hands, both of them...he makes that catch like he's supposed to, the Pats are in full control with the Giants down to one timeout....those drops were unforced by the Giants...the team HAS to make those plays, both Welker and Branch...THAT is what a championship team does...MAKE those plays, those catches, recover THOSE fumbles...they didn't do it...that's football...I'm glad we had the opportunity to compete in this game and I'm looking forward to next season and the chance to get back and win it this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes