PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady joking with Kobe Byrant following Celtics loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw this on Pardon the Interruption on ESPN. Tom Brady was seen laughing with Kobe Byrant after the Celtics loss last night.

Wilbon also mentioned that Brady got a standing ovation from the fans at TD Garden, and was modest enough to not raise his hand until Nate Robinson raised it for him.

So what do you guys think of this? Big Deal or No Problem?

NOTE: Mods I realize this regards basketball, but I felt it appropriate to post here since it involves Brady. Feel free to move if necessary.

I talked to Brady about the Celtics Vs. Lakers the last time they played in the Championship against each other, 2008.

No one on THIS board wants to know what he said.

I could not possibly care less about the other teams from around here. They can all disappear for all I care. Brady could be a Lakers, Yankees, and whoever the Bruins rivals are fan and I would not give a damn. As long as he's a Patriot, then I'm cool with whatever he does in terms of other sports.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority on this one, although I suspect if Brady had acted differently many of you saying you don't care would be singing a different tune.

If Brady froze out Bryant after the game, I think there'd be a lot of "yeah! That's our boy, Tom!" kind of posts. But because he chummed it up with him, it's a non-issue, nothing to see here, folks.

It's all about context. Brady shares a laugh with Kobe Bryant at the ESPYs or some such? Fine. Doing so right after thousands of Celtics fans--and, in the main, HIS fans--suffered a tough loss in the Finals? Not so much.

And spare me the idea this is adolescent in nature, unless you're prepared to acknowledge that ALL sports fandom is like that, to a degree. None of these guys care about us, we root for the laundry, etc. All true to a degree. But fandom is at least partly about sustaining fictions, and Brady chumming it up with Bryant after the Celtics lost didn't sit right with me.

It makes me think back to when he was first spotted with a Yankee's hat on. I would understand how some people in the Mass area were up in arms over it. You know it's still the off-season when Brady talking to Bryant is turned into a news story...

Lakers get Brady, Celtics get Big Vince. Even trade.

does espn make a big deal on pti when other cities players hang out or just with boston ?

Well, I guess I'm in the minority on this one, although I suspect if Brady had acted differently many of you saying you don't care would be singing a different tune.

If Brady froze out Bryant after the game, I think there'd be a lot of "yeah! That's our boy, Tom!" kind of posts. But because he chummed it up with him, it's a non-issue, nothing to see here, folks.

It's all about context. Brady shares a laugh with Kobe Bryant at the ESPYs or some such? Fine. Doing so right after thousands of Celtics fans--and, in the main, HIS fans--suffered a tough loss in the Finals? Not so much.

And spare me the idea this is adolescent in nature, unless you're prepared to acknowledge that ALL sports fandom is like that, to a degree. None of these guys care about us, we root for the laundry, etc. All true to a degree. But fandom is at least partly about sustaining fictions, and Brady chumming it up with Bryant after the Celtics lost didn't sit right with me.

Would it be better knowing that he grew up in California and was dropped in NE by the luck of the draft? At which point I guess to some, if not most, he has to lose all former allegiances he had to all other professional sports teams. :bricks:

So do the same rules that apply to your fandom, apply to his? Meaning, if you moved to Atlanta and rooted for the Celtics to beat the Hawks, how would that sit with you? Or should you fall in line with the rest of the town and root for the Hawks? Even though you grew up rooting for the Celtics – Or does his “celebrity” trump that argument.

I just think this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion. At some point everyone needs to realize that Brady is the Quarterback of OUR team, and that's it. Nothing more. Despite what everyone wants, outside of the game of Football, he's just another fan……..of the teams HE chooses to root for.

I just think this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion.

That's typical of the media.

Fortunately, what we have here in this forum seems to be typical of fans with over 80% (perhaps 90%) saying it's no big deal. Surprisingly rational.

Would it be better knowing that he grew up in California and was dropped in NE by the luck of the draft? At which point I guess to some, if not most, he has to lose all former allegiances he had to all other professional sports teams. :bricks:

So do the same rules that apply to your fandom, apply to his? Meaning, if you moved to Atlanta and rooted for the Celtics to beat the Hawks, how would that sit with you? Or should you fall in line with the rest of the town and root for the Hawks? Even though you grew up rooting for the Celtics – Or does his “celebrity” trump that argument.

I just think this whole thing is blown WAY out of proportion. At some point everyone needs to realize that Brady is the Quarterback of OUR team, and that's it. Nothing more. Despite what everyone wants, outside of the game of Football, he's just another fan……..of the teams HE chooses to root for.

:youtheman:
10ch

What a bunch of "Lilly Liver Limp Wristed Wimps". Does anyone have any heart or passion for their sports teams anymore?

Does anyone think it would go over well in Philly if an Eagles player mugged it up with Kobe after a Sixers playoff home loss? No way, there would be hell to pay.

Grow some...........

Last edited:
Just saw this on Pardon the Interruption on ESPN. Tom Brady was seen laughing with Kobe Byrant after the Celtics loss last night.

Wilbon also mentioned that Brady got a standing ovation from the fans at TD Garden, and was modest enough to not raise his hand until Nate Robinson raised it for him.

So what do you guys think of this? Big Deal or No Problem?

NOTE: Mods I realize this regards basketball, but I felt it appropriate to post here since it involves Brady. Feel free to move if necessary.

Listen, I love Tom Brady to the death, but let's not forget he is a Cali wine & brie kind of guy and now that he lives in LA, he is probably hob-knobbing with the celebs from the land of silicone breasts. I mean, Jesus, I saw in the Herald where he is now styling his hair after some 12-year old pop star.

He is a great QB and he has brought our franchise much glory, but we're not talking Steve Grogan here, okay?

Last edited:

I'm calling BS on this one - Nate Robinson raising Brady's hand would only get it to shoulder level.

What a bunch of "Lilly Liver Limp Wristed Wimps". Does anyone have any heart or passion for their sports teams anymore?

Does anyone think it would go over well in Philly if an Eagles player mugged it up with Kobe after a Sixers playoff home loss? No way, there would be hell to pay.

Grow some...........

If I EVER base my fandom on how Philly fans act about situations, I would probably put the barrel in my mouth and pull the trigger.

EDIT: Sorry, I forgot you have yet to post one positive thing about anything Pats related. Keep up the solid trolling!

Last edited:

Grow some...........

You've got a pretty strange interpetation of the expression "grow some". It doesn't take "balls" to criticize a person joking with someone else. Having balls isn't like rhetoric spewed by internet tough guys. Having balls is the courage to stand up for something that is right, even at great potential cost to one's self. In other words, you don't have to be an idiot to have heart or passion for a team.

i guess it's safe to say that brady is not a die hard celtics fan. a die hard would not even go within 50 feet of kobe. i can't see matt damon or ben affleck or mark wahlberg do what brady did.

Holy crap.

This is so much a non issue.

i guess it's safe to say that brady is not a die hard celtics fan. a die hard would not even go within 50 feet of kobe. i can't see matt damon or ben affleck or mark wahlberg do what brady did.

True enough. I can't see Ben Affleck, Damon or Wahlberg wearing a yankees hat either, and my guess is all three would show up for the offseason workout program. But heres the thing, unless one of them can throw 50 TD's in a season, I'll learn to take what I have with Tom Brady.

Has anyone paused to think that maybe Brady told Kobe he lucked out and Boston will win the next two?

idk. Isn't Brady from Cali? Might be a laker fan too. (Or warriors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes