PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady is costing this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

iapatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I know this is a very unpopular thing to say, but I firmly believe the Pats would be a better football team right now with Matt Cassel at QB. Brady's long admired accuracy and pocket awareness have been missing this season. I recorded the Ravens and Broncos game and have watched both several times, and Brady missed many open receivers that would have kept drives going or scored TDs. I don't know if anyone has noticed or mentioned it, but Matt C has almost the exact same QB rating with 1 more TD than Mr Brady. He is doing that with a patchwork OL and a horrendous WR crew.

A lot of the posters on this board look at the D, the OL or the defensive play calling, but I truthfully believe the sub-par play this team has shown so far lies on the right shoulder of Tom Brady. The entire offense revolves around him. The OL is designed as a pass blocking unit, which hurts the running game. The team has no true #3 WR (Aiken couldn't crack Buffalo's sorry WR crew) because in the past Brady has made below avg WRs look decent when playing with him.

Maybe he will get it back, but he has shown nothing but avg to below avg play so far. I don't remember if he won one of the parking spots this offseason, but if he did not, I find myself wishing he would have put in the time he used to. I know it is crazy, but I cannot, with 100% confidence, say I am totally happy we traded Matt C and kept Brady. I think about what he would have brought NE in a trade, combined with the progress Matt C showed last season, and I can't help but be curious about how strong of position this team would be in moving forward...3 2nd rd picks next season, Oak's 1st rd pick in '11 and whatever Brady would have brought in compensation combined with the open cap room that would have allowed for major FA signings.

I know I may get laughed off this board, but I just wonder if the Pats would be in a stronger position right now if the trade had been different.

You are SOOOOOOOO right!!!!!!! We WOULD be better off with Matt Cassell!!!

Good Grief...

Wow, you guys must be comparing his 1st game when Bledsoe got hurt to Cassel's game against Arizona last year.

Brady is only 5 weeks into his first season back from a torn ACL/MCL. Give him 'till Week 10 to say this but not now.

So just leave the bandwagon and go jump on someone else's.

Honestly, I think that's too much hand-wringing for what is a pretty inarguable proposition--of course Brady has been an issue so far. He was absolutely awful against Denver.

This thread is made of glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOCK IT UP

I know I may get laughed off this board, but I just wonder if the Pats would be in a stronger position right now if the trade had been different.

Let me begin with:

HAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLROFLROFLROFL

I know this is a very unpopular thing to say, but I firmly believe the Pats would be a better football team right now with Matt Cassel at QB. Brady's long admired accuracy and pocket awareness have been missing this season. I recorded the Ravens and Broncos game and have watched both several times, and Brady missed many open receivers that would have kept drives going or scored TDs. I don't know if anyone has noticed or mentioned it, but Matt C has almost the exact same QB rating with 1 more TD than Mr Brady. He is doing that with a patchwork OL and a horrendous WR crew.

A lot of the posters on this board look at the D, the OL or the defensive play calling, but I truthfully believe the sub-par play this team has shown so far lies on the right shoulder of Tom Brady. The entire offense revolves around him. The OL is designed as a pass blocking unit, which hurts the running game. The team has no true #3 WR (Aiken couldn't crack Buffalo's sorry WR crew) because in the past Brady has made below avg WRs look decent when playing with him.

Maybe he will get it back, but he has shown nothing but avg to below avg play so far. I don't remember if he won one of the parking spots this offseason, but if he did not, I find myself wishing he would have put in the time he used to. I know it is crazy, but I cannot, with 100% confidence, say I am totally happy we traded Matt C and kept Brady. I think about what he would have brought NE in a trade, combined with the progress Matt C showed last season, and I can't help but be curious about how strong of position this team would be in moving forward...3 2nd rd picks next season, Oak's 1st rd pick in '11 and whatever Brady would have brought in compensation combined with the open cap room that would have allowed for major FA signings.

It's amazing that I really can't find any glaring grammatical mistakes considering how drunk you have to be.

He's also doing all that without the mental hurdle that Brady has. His injury wasn't nearly as severe and he didn't miss much playing time. So it's not the same. Brady after the mental hurdle is cleared will be better than current Brady. Sit down, shut up, and relax.

That goes for all the chicken littles. We can't make a determination on Brady or the team after 5 weeks back from that injury. His leg is healed, his mind isn't there yet fully. Different people come back in different amounts of time.

Just my .02

ROFL
I guess a post that gave me the laugh deserves a response.

1) Please list the $14M in additional cap cuts you would have made to have Cassell on the team as the backup QB. I suppose you could get away with only $12M since we have a bit of excess at the moment.

2) Cassell is not a better QB than Brady, even now with Brady injured.

3) Brady will get much better this year than Cassell can ever hope to be.

4) I do indeed think that primary reason that we are 3-2 instead of a solid 4-1 is the play of the QB position AND the offensive coaching.

5) I don't think that 4-1 at this point would be unreasonable with any QB other the elite ones who arguably might be 5-0 with this team. So, the COST we are discussing is one game.

BOTTOM LINE
We would NOT be 4-1 or even 3-2 with Cassell at QB. The loss of $12M or more of cap space would cost at least the same one game, probably more. And the cost of Cassell would be felt for the rest of the season and well into the future. And obviously Brady would have rust whenever he started to play.

Last edited:
This thread is made of glass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOCK IT UP

:agree::agree::agree:

another DUMB DUMB thread!
can't we have just one thread called
"Post all negative thoughts here"
then every negative thread gets immediately move to that thread??
I'm so sick of these brainless rants.:mad:

:agree::agree::agree:

another DUMB DUMB thread!
can't we have just one thread called
"Post all negative thoughts here"
then every negative thread gets immediately move to that thread??
I'm so sick of these brainless rants.:mad:

we do have that thread it was bumped to page 2

It's amazing that I really can't find any glaring grammatical mistakes considering how drunk you have to be.

Compare Brady's play this season with Cassel's last season, and I think most would agree Matt C's play was better. I do believe Brady will get back to being the player he was, but I am not sure it will be this year. Next season, our best WR will be another year older, and we will still need to find a decent #3 WR. We may need to replace our best defensive player and a couple OLmen. I am just suggesting that I feel we would be a better team this season, and we may have been in a better position moving forward. Let's just say Brady would have brought 2 1st rd picks. Combine that with the freed up cap space, which surely would have allowed us to keep Wlfork and signed a couple of quality free agents, and I have to wonder if we would be in better position in a few years.

On a scale of 1 to 10 on the toll-o-meter, I give this thread a 2.5.

Cassel is a very capable QB. Tom Brady is a GREAT QB. Nothing to debate here.

Compare Brady's play this season with Cassel's last season, and I think most would agree Matt C's play was better. I do believe Brady will get back to being the player he was, but I am not sure it will be this year. Next season, our best WR will be another year older, and we will still need to find a decent #3 WR. We may need to replace our best defensive player and a couple OLmen. I am just suggesting that I feel we would be a better team this season, and we may have been in a better position moving forward. Let's just say Brady would have brought 2 1st rd picks. Combine that with the freed up cap space, which surely would have allowed us to keep Wlfork and signed a couple of quality free agents, and I have to wonder if we would be in better position in a few years.

There wouldn't have been any freed up cap space,.... We still have Wilfork, .... We're not desperate to save our HC's job by winning this year at all cost, we have an enviable track record and the sense to plan for the long as well as short term.

This is a classic example of a thread that belongs in the PS along with it's OP but since it tickled Mg enough to respond I guess it's not going there... Some day someone will figure out what Ian created that forum for, anyhow.

CAP COST
Brady being traded before 2/27 $10M
Cassell $14M
total $24M

Even with a long-term contract with Cassell, there would have been no 2009 cap savings. There would be simple trade of Brady for Cassell and two firsts and future cap savings. Few here would take the deal.

I agree!!!!!! Cassel is tearing it up in KC!!! Not close to getting benched at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes