Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tom Brady, have you seen him play?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by dryheat44, May 8, 2006.

1. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I would like to take this opportunity to try an squash a feeling out there among some of us. Namely, that the Patriots need another receiver.

We are fortuitous (that means lucky, says Josie Marcus) to have playing in Foxboro an elite quarterback. This elite quarterback is among the best at delivering the ball where it needs to go in order for the gentlemen receiving said ball to make a play. Let's look at some recent history:

Was David Patten anything but an average receiver in his career before Brady started throwing him the rock? Was he even average last year in year one of his post-Brady career?

Do we have any evidence that David Givens is anything but an average receiver, made to look above-average due to a good quarterback?

With all due respect to Mr. Patriot Troy Brown, is there any reason to believe that he would have been nearly as productive the last three years with a quarterback of lesser talents?

The Patriots WR corps is going to be just as good with a lineup of Branch, Caldwell, Brown, Jackson, Childress as it's been in the last five years. Re-watch the Eagles Super Bowl game some time, and count how many passes Brady threw in that game that didn't hit a receiver in the hands, on stride. Very few. Any WR with the physical talent to play in the NFL, who can run precise routes and has good hands, is going to look like a Pro-Bowler with Brady throwing the ball.

We might be having this discussion again this year, if Branch hasn't been re-signed yet.

2. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +178 / 2 / -3

Assuming either Caldwell or Johnson can fill the role of #2 WR, I'd say we're set, barring injury.

Its just the top 3 WRs that are going to get the bulk of the catches - we had a serious situation before if we were expecting and assuming Caldwell could do what he never has done before and claim the #2 spot, but Jackson gives us some significant insurance now

I'm sure our TEs and RBs will have plenty of catches too (not to mention our LBs!) - but you still need a credible deep threat to stretch the field and open things up for the short/mid range passes

3. SuperPatriot33

SuperPatriot33 Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Exactly see some qbs only need a few viable options..Brady gets like 4 or 5 reads to find the most open receiver..Thats why we just need receivers that can catch open balls...not superstars that have to leap 6 feet in to the air in triple coverage...See with lesser talent like say Favre..he makes one read sees the guys triple covered looks down field and sees the next guy is in man to man..so he throws it to his first read...cause hes a gunslinger(although it seems alot of his bullets must ricochet cause they come right back at him)Now The Michael Vick experience needs only one receiver as well.He drops back He runs and if they stop his running toss it to Alge Crumpler.That'll do pig That'll do.

4. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

No evidence, but it will get real interesting if next season Givens is average and Caldwell s magnificent.

I think Brady is, as you say, exceedingly accurate, so the key may be route running. Give him a guy who can run accurate routes and Brady will hit him.

Give him Donald Hayes and no way. It wasn't that Hayes was a bad WR. He did well with the Panthers. But not with the Pats.

Edit: WR must also be good at reading and interpreting defenses. This may be even morekey, as the Pats shift routes depending on coverages. That is why BB perhaps BB goes after certain receivers. Since he was so hot for Jackson, maybe he sees Jackson as a good route runner, good defense reader, and fast.

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  5. smg93

smg93 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +2 / 4 / -0

#54 Jersey

This is why I think Brady needs to get a cut out of these guys' FA contracts! He does make people around him better. It's what Jordan did with the other Bulls players in their championship run in the 90's.

6. kurtinelson

kurtinelson In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +27 / 5 / -2

#37 Jersey

What you talkin 'bout DryHeat?

I would call Givens an above average WR based on his YAC and blocking.

I think the Pats could use some depth at receiver. An injury to Branch would be devastating. Although, it may not have helped much this year, I really wanted the Pats to take another WR in the draft. I'd would have liked to see Stovall, Avant, Hass, or Nance on the roster as well.

7. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I agree with all the above with one added point....getting separation. The receiver has to not only run the route but sell it and get open. I think that's the key quickness and burst that BB's looking for as apposed to just being able to run fast(aka Bethel).

8. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

This is a very good point, and I think it may separate Branch from the rest. All WRs should be able to improvise a route on the fly and be on the same page as the QB, but Branch seems to do this exceedingly well.

You also bring up a point with Hayes that I neglected to. The Patriots certainly do have a complex offense. Guys with learning disabilities probably aren't going to do well. And Charles Johnson didn't do so well here, though he was certainly an average receiver. Of course, Brady wasn't nearly as good back then.

9. RoadGrader

RoadGrader Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

makes one yearn for the days of the-not-so-distant-past when Drew would be a throwin' those balls behind and down to receivers goin'over the middle like it was the way the route was designed, you know what I mean?

gawd, I miss him.

10. MagicMarker

MagicMarker On the Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Who is Josie Marcus? My college insurance professor would roll over in his grave (if he were dead) every time he hears the word fortuitous misused. It means "happening by chance".

11. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

It's a line from Tombstone. She uses the word, and assumes Wyatt Earp doesn't know what it means.

As for the misuse, unfortunately usage dictates what a word means, and not the other way around. I've rarely heard anybody use the words moot or ironic in their correct applications.

12. GayBrady

GayBrady Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think the WR corp is more than adequate. You add in TE Graham (he had 7 TDs the year before-- I think he'll be back in form this year), and of course, the pass catching RBs, and Tom should have another stellar year. I'm not concerned at all about the WRs. They are good route runners, and have good hands. And Tom will make a decent WR corp look great.

13. Keegs

Keegs In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I know i am just one person on here, but can u stop posting the Tom Brady Brokeback Mountain pictures? Thank you.

14. spacecrime

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Generaly accepted usage. You and I cannot change a word's meaning my misusing it. I think it is usage by PGRAI (People Generally Regarded As Intelligent)

from dictionary.com:

forテつキtuテつキiテつキtous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fテδエr-t-ts, -ty-)
    adj.
    Happening by accident or chance. See Synonyms at accidental.

Usage Problem.
    Happening by a fortunate accident or chance.
    Lucky or fortunate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Latin fortutus. See bher-1 in Indo-European Roots.]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    forテつキtuiテつキtousテつキly adv.
    forテつキtuiテつキtousテつキness n.

Usage Note: In its best-established sense, fortuitous means 窶徂appening by accident or chance.窶 Thus, a fortuitous meeting may have either fortunate or unfortunate consequences. For decades, however, the word has often been used in reference to happy accidents, as in The company's profits were enhanced as the result of a fortuitous drop in the cost of paper. This use may have arisen because fortuitous resembles both fortunate and felicitous. Whatever its origin, the use is well established in the writing of reputable authors. テつキThe additional use of fortuitous to mean 窶徑ucky or fortunate,窶 is more controversial, as in He came to the Giants in June as the result of a fortuitous trade that sent two players back to the Reds. This use dates back at least to the 1920s, when H.W. Fowler labeled it a malapropism, but it is still widely regarded as incorrect.

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  15. spacecrime

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

He has already been asked, but you know how it is. Maybe when his mother catches him playing with the computer...

16. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 10 / -1

Do what I do. Put him on ignore. No more pictures. ;)

17. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +3 / 10 / -1

From KC Joyner's book, Scientific Football: 2005, here's what he said about Brady after the 2004 season. SF:2006 will be released in June/July...

18. marty

marty In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Interesting perspective! Thanks for posting it!

19. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +678 / 2 / -2

Disable Jersey

Thank you, spacecrime. You've stopped me preparing a rant about another useful distinction of meaning being overwhelmed by the ignorance of the yahoos -- and if a character in a movie is supposed to demonstrate her erudition by misusing the word in this way, then it is truly depressing. (By the way, do people who think that there is no difference between "fortunate" and "fortuitous" also think that some things are "un-fortuitous"?)

20. dryheat44

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

...and don't get me started on ultimate