PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom brady goes for the jugular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Tidbit from the game: Brady to Branch

This was mentioned in the post game thread :D

Great read by both players..

This. The bears were lined up in 2 deep, with the safeties only about 10 yards off the LOS, in a situation where the only way to have a play do anything was over the top.

Combination of Brady/Branch noticing it, and the Bears coaches making a terrible call.

I believe all that. But why on earth would the Bears care? If you're the Bears, give Gronk 20 yards of space. Heck, give him 30.

The Bears shouldn't give a crap where or what Brady is looking at, and whether or not they hold Gronk at the line is irrelevant. It's lunacy to put two defenders on any player in the middle of the field when your opponent snaps the ball with the clock running and .05 left on its side of the field. There's absolutely nothing he can do to hurt you. I guess maybe you have to worry that he's super human and can gain 40 yards and call time out in 4 seconds to get in field goal range. But the reality is that the defense was brutally unprepared. The only job of a safety there is to keep everything in front of him, no matter where Brady is looking.

This is what practicing "situational football" does for you... The Patriots practice (so they say) these situations on defense and on offense.

Obviously in this situation, you keep everything in front of you as a safety. The Patriots are coached in these situations all the time and it is obvious from this single play that the Bears are not.

Go Pats!

When your QB is the GOAT, you let him run the offense as he sees fit. BB knows this.

Just like with LT. Not to be confused with "Elle T" in the AFCE.

LT would free lance as a NYG and make plays driving Parcells ballistic. BB didnt care.

Think Branch is happy to be back with us?

Just a question: I have a thread with 3 pages of replies on it. Why does it get merged under a thread that was made 12 hours later? If a merge needs to be made, why doesn't the later thread get merged into the earlier thread?

I actually came into this thread expecting to see a bit of lively discussion, then noticed my thread had all of the replies except one.

Can somebody explain this to me?

Just a question: I have a thread with 3 pages of replies on it. Why does it get merged under a thread that was made 12 hours later? If a merge needs to be made, why doesn't the later thread get merged into the earlier thread?

I actually came into this thread expecting to see a bit of lively discussion, then noticed my thread had all of the replies except one.

Can somebody explain this to me?

You are reading the dates/times wrong. The later thread did get merged into the earlier thread.

Brady addressed the play in his weekly D&C spot. He said there were discussions on the play before the game. It was purely a "situational play" if they saw the cover-2 look in the right spot. They knew that the safety would have trouble getting over in that snow.

The plan was to send Gronk up the seam and Branch on the out. Brady would do a little pump-fake to hold the safety and if he wasn't fading out towards Branch, he'd take the shot knowing the safety could never get back in those conditions.

Worked to perfection. Gronk went up the seam (clean off the line), the safety stayed inside when Brady did a little pump, and that left Branch open on the sideline, and no way for the safety to reverse field on the release of the ball. Of course, they thought they'd be just beating man-to-man, but Tillman got lost on it and Branch was WIDE OPEN.

Situational ball at it's finest. Obviously a design play that required the QB to recognize the situation and make the adjustment, not just to Branch, but to Gronk (to run the seam) and the Oline (to set protection). They would have taken the knee,but I'm sure Brady has the freedom to run one of those situational plays whenever he sees the look that warrants that designed play. It was something they saw pre-game on tape and discussed (with the coaches) before the game. It just came up at a point where the sideline coaches were content to go into the locker room.

Probably happens in every game 1 or 2. just not with such spectacular results.

Last edited:
You are reading the dates/times wrong. The later thread did get merged into the earlier thread.

Well.. I missed that one. Good eye.

I just saw '9am' and '9pm' but didn't notice the dates.

Cheerfully withdrawn.

By the way..... watching the play again after hearing Brady's take on it is very illuminating. It's simplicity is brilliant.

Brady addressed the play in his weekly D&C spot. He said there were discussions on the play before the game. It was purely a "situational play" if they saw the cover-2 look in the right spot. They knew that the safety would have trouble getting over in that snow.

The plan was to send Gronk up the seam and Branch on the out. Brady would do a little pump-fake to hold the safety and if he wasn't fading out towards Branch, he'd take the shot knowing the safety could never get back in those conditions.

Worked to perfection. Gronk went up the seam (clean off the line), the safety stayed inside when Brady did a little pump, and that left Branch open on the sideline, and no way for the safety to reverse field on the release of the ball. Of course, they thought they'd be just beating man-to-man, but Tillman got lost on it and Branch was WIDE OPEN.

Situational ball at it's finest. Obviously a design play that required the QB to recognize the situation and make the adjustment, not just to Branch, but to Gronk (to run the seam) and the Oline (to set protection). They would have taken the knee,but I'm sure Brady has the freedom to run one of those situational plays whenever he sees the look that warrants that designed play. It was something they saw pre-game on tape and discussed (with the coaches) before the game. It just came up at a point where the sideline coaches were content to go into the locker room.

Probably happens in every game 1 or 2. just not with such spectacular results.

It's simplicity is brilliant, but it's amazing how how you have to have several "things" aligned corrected for it to go right, and the right guys to pull the trigger when it's recognized.

BB generally says that the guy on the field has ultimate decision-making authority.

The example I'm thinking of is Hobbs' 108-yard kickoff return TD. BB made it clear that both the coaches never taught him that there was a time you should run the ball back from 8 yards deep ... and nonetheless, it was Hobbs' decision to make.

More routinely, a huge part of the defense is knowing when to abandon your responsibility in pursuit of takeaway or (more rarely) other big play, and when to maintain your responsibility. When you do it and it works, BB praises you for a veteran play.

In Monday's presser, BB commented on what a great play Brady made to end the half.

Great thread and great insight into the dynamics of the play.

I GIFed that great angle of the play for anyone who is interested.

branchtd-o.gif

I love how Tillman isn't even really trying to catch him...just kind of jogging down the field.

I love how Tillman isn't even really trying to catch him...just kind of jogging down the field.

His soul had already been ripped out and shat upon by that point.

I loved how Wes Welker came across the field to try to throw a block. Really shows how this offense is not selfish.

Loved that effort by Wes. He just wanted to block someone, anyone. That's Wes in a nutshell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back