PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom brady goes for the jugular

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tidbit from the game: Brady to Branch

The half ended with the sideline calling for a knee and Brady ignoring the order before hitting Branch with that 59-yarder as time expired.

"There was a lot of yelling and screaming," Branch said. "I do know that I heard one of the coaches saying they wanted to take a knee, but I think Tom's eyes got a little big. He looked over at me like, 'No, take this shot.'"

New England Patriots vs. Chicago Bears - Recap - December 12, 2010 - ESPN

Just... yikes. :rocker:

Re: Tidbit from the game: Brady to Branch

this is the kind of thing that got Bledsoe in trouble with BB but somehow I think BB has a bit more faith in Brady.

It looked to me like Brady was angry about Edelman's TD getting called back. I think he wanted this shot because of it. Also, I don't think this is the kind of thing you'll see often.

this is the kind of thing that got Bledsoe in trouble with BB but somehow I think BB has a bit more faith in Brady.

When your QB is the GOAT, you let him run the offense as he sees fit. BB knows this.

This was mentioned in the post game thread :D

Great read by both players..

Here's what I don't get about the play. If you're Brady and Branch, how on earth do you ever expect the Bears defense to be so freaking stupid? They got the safety to bite on a play that made absolutely no sense in that circumstance. If you're the Bears and your opponent is 60 yards from the end zone with the half about to end, what do you have to fear from a slant to the tight end?

Just amazing that in the circumstance they both not only were able to communicate on the fly but also to even have the creativity to think it could possibly work.

That's why Branch was brought back. He and TFB have a connection rarely ever seen in the NFL. Just a look IT'S ALL THEY NEED.

Somehow, I think BB will be fine with it.

Last edited:

Here's what I don't get about the play. If you're Brady and Branch, how on earth do you ever expect the Bears defense to be so freaking stupid? They got the safety to bite on a play that made absolutely no sense in that circumstance. If you're the Bears and your opponent is 60 yards from the end zone with the half about to end, what do you have to fear from a slant to the tight end?

Just amazing that in the circumstance they both not only were able to communicate on the fly but also to even have the creativity to think it could possibly work.

Merril Hoge talked about how this play worked on ESPN this morning.

He pointed out the two keys to making it work:

(1) There was no one to jam GRONK at the line.
(2) Up until the very last moment, Brady kept his eyes straight down the field, as if he was going to go deep to GRONK rather than Branch.

Put that together, and the Bears saw what Brady wanted them to see, not Branch getting open on the sideline. :D

Branch just said BB didn't yell at them because they made.

(2) Up until the very last moment, Brady kept his eyes straight down the field, as if he was going to go deep to GRONK rather than Branch.

Put that together, and the Bears saw what Brady wanted them to see, not Branch getting open on the sideline. :D

I believe all that. But why on earth would the Bears care? If you're the Bears, give Gronk 20 yards of space. Heck, give him 30.

The Bears shouldn't give a crap where or what Brady is looking at, and whether or not they hold Gronk at the line is irrelevant. It's lunacy to put two defenders on any player in the middle of the field when your opponent snaps the ball with the clock running and .05 left on its side of the field. There's absolutely nothing he can do to hurt you. I guess maybe you have to worry that he's super human and can gain 40 yards and call time out in 4 seconds to get in field goal range. But the reality is that the defense was brutally unprepared. The only job of a safety there is to keep everything in front of him, no matter where Brady is looking.

I'm wondering if in addition to the above information, if Brady/Branch had that stealth signal going on (featured on 60 Minutes before Branch was traded).

what a great play it was - awesome TD

And to think, all Brady needed to do was look at Branch.

They made? :D

They made a ham and cheese sandwich with a side of fries and then decided to slip in that hitch and go up the sidelines because nobody was paying attention.

I'm wondering if in addition to the above information, if Brady/Branch had that stealth signal going on (featured on 60 Minutes before Branch was traded).

No doubt in my mind, they both saw something int he way the Bears defense lined up and they went for it.

I think BB is probably steamed, but as long as it worked he can;t say much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes