PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady gets rid of the ball quicker than any other QB?

Shockt327

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Was anyone just watching espn?

They were complaining about Jay Cutler because his average time in the pocket was clocked at 3.8 seconds. He slow making up his mind, right? Didn't know where they got the info from.

They closed the segment by pointing out Brady's time was #1 and it was just a little over 3 seconds (3.1?)

Was anyone just watching espn?

They were complaining about Jay Cutler because his average release time was clocked at 3.8 seconds. He slow making up his mind, right? Didn't know where they got the info from.

They closed the segment by pointing out Brady's time was #1 and it was just a little over 3 seconds (3.1?)

Yeah i've seen that stat somewhere. Manning was at #2 i believe.

I'd love to know where to find this stat.

I believe release times are measured usually under 1 second, around .32-.40 usually someone correct me if I'm wrong

Or are we talking about time spent holding the ball in the pocket? big difference

EDIT: Didn't see the part about "slow to make up mind" So I we are talking pocket, my bad

I could've sworn I saw the stat as being in the high "2's" like 2.6 or something like that, but yes--he definitely has the fastest release in all of football.

I suppose it depends on who/how they measure the stat.

How do you measure this time: from the start of the throwing motion to when the ball leaves the passer's hand? If that is what it is, does that really matter if he takes five or more seconds before deciding where to pass the ball?

If it's from the time the ball is snapped to when it is released, how do you differentiate for when the QB is under center and for when he is in the shotgun? How do you account for quarterbacks that are pure pocket passers versus those that purposely scramble to give their receivers more time to get open, or quarterbacks that are instructed to run due to their athleticism? Should the effectiveness of an offensive line in pass blocking be considered? How reliable is the data; is there an accounting for human error in what is a very minor amount of difference between best and worst?

There is a major and vital difference between the physical part of the equation (how fast the ball is released once the throwing motion begins) and the mental portion (being able to decide where the ball should be thrown).

We as fans love stats, but this seems like one of those that is prone to errors and may be very unreliable. The old eyeball test may be just as accurate, if not more so.

Welker getting open so quickly in the slot was a help to that stat...hopefully Amendola can do somewhat similar things.

How do you measure this time: from the start of the throwing motion to when the ball leaves the passer's hand? If that is what it is, does that really matter if he takes five or more seconds before deciding where to pass the ball?

If it's from the time the ball is snapped to when it is released, how do you differentiate for when the QB is under center and for when he is in the shotgun? How do you account for quarterbacks that are pure pocket passers versus those that purposely scramble to give their receivers more time to get open, or quarterbacks that are instructed to run due to their athleticism? Should the effectiveness of an offensive line in pass blocking be considered? How reliable is the data; is there an accounting for human error in what is a very minor amount of difference between best and worst?

There is a major and vital difference between the physical part of the equation (how fast the ball is released once the throwing motion begins) and the mental portion (being able to decide where the ball should be thrown).

We as fans love stats, but this seems like one of those that is prone to errors and may be very unreliable. The old eyeball test may be just as accurate, if not more so.

It's just an average from the snap of the ball to the QB releasing the ball. Take it as you will. Brady and Manning ranked at the top of that list sounds about right with the eyeball test too.

Welker getting open so quickly in the slot was a help to that stat...hopefully Amendola can do somewhat similar things.

Agreed , but it also made everyone complain that he is going to wes when ever he feels presure or thinks there might be an Issue.

the pats fan want brady to hold the ball longer and look at all the options and then throw the ball.

Agreed , but it also made everyone complain that he is going to wes when ever he feels presure or thinks there might be an Issue.

the pats fan want brady to hold the ball longer and look at all the options and then throw the ball.

Welker helped but not entirely true because when he had guys like Patten he was still getting the ball out incredibly fast. I actually think not having Wes there will help because he'll go back to spreading the ball around. But with Danny Amendola, he might be able to get the ball out even faster IMO lol. And Shane Vereen's ability to quickly get open underneath is in-human, love watching that guy play.. incredible dual talent and young.

Are the Massachusetts State Police aware of the fact that Brady got rid of the ball faster than anyone else? What is he hiding?

Attachments

• nolte-murphy-48-hrs.jpg
    nolte-murphy-48-hrs.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 25
Like to see how that stat was compiled. It seems the average time
may have a lot to do with the type of offense that is run. If an Oline can
protect very well while deep routes develop and the team uses a lot
of deep route plays then the QB's average release time should be high
for that offense.

Makes sense since most of his passes are 5 and 10 yard throws.

Release time will change notably without Welker.

I expect Brady to take a lot more hits this year without Welker, with a more spread offense that relies on holding the ball more for routes to develop

Like to see how that stat was compiled. It seems the average time
may have a lot to do with the type of offense that is run. If an Oline can
protect very well while deep routes develop and the team uses a lot
of deep route plays then the QB's average release time should be high
for that offense.

Actually, as much as that makes some sense, Peyton Manning was also very high up in the ranking. He may have even been the #2 guy behind Brady, and Manning always takes very few sacks.

In that aspect, the two don't relate as much as we'd initially think that they did.

Makes sense since most of his passes are 5 and 10 yard throws.

Release time will change notably without Welker.

I expect Brady to take a lot more hits this year without Welker, with a more spread offense that relies on holding the ball more for routes to develop

I hear your concerns, but I don't expect this to change much myself--if at all. Amendola will likely take over Welker's role, as Belichick's vision of attacking the shorter underneath routes and taking advantage of first step mismatches will likely be continued. Not only does it potentially prolong Brady's career, but it also makes the offensive line look better, it helps to milk the clock with glorified running plays at times while also managing to wear out the defense by keeping the same personnel on the field. There are many positive aspects of using this current system, and I don't expect that to change too much myself.

I think that Amendola will act as a continuation of what Welker did, as long as he can stay healthy of course. The ball will have to be spread around a bit more, but we also have to keep in mind that there were 5 primary targets last year and in 2011, so in all reality he still was slinging it around to many different targets.

The only real change that I see is needing 3 guys to make up for Welker and Llyod's production, although the new Aaron Hernandez situation may make that much different depending on the outcome.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back