PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady buys 1,500 laptops for underpriviledged kids in Uganda

Status
Not open for further replies.
haven't read the whole article, but it might be that cool little laptop made to be ultra-cheap, that you crank up to power it (I sh*t you not.) I believe they were under 200, and aimed for exactly this type project.

Anyway good for Tom whether he spent his own money or lent his name and image to the project (which at that level is a donation in itself.)

The measure of a good or a bad man may not be in charity. But the measure of more or less charity certainly is.

PFnV

While it is a wonderful act. A player donating less than 1% of his salary to charity is rarely national news. I am not surprised ESPN doesn't make this a breaking news and just the locals carry it.

Uh, if the computers cost $100 each, that's 100 x 1500.

That's $150,000.

I know Tom makes a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't make more than $15 million a year.

Last edited:
DUPLICATE ccc

Last edited:
Uh, if the computers cost $100 each, that's 100 x 1500.

That's $150,000.

I know Tom makes a lot of money, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't make more than $15 million a year.

Coincidently enough, Miguel's cap figure for Brady this year is pretty close to $15 million, at $14,621,320. So, even at $100 bucks a pop and all the money coming from Brady, TGIAGH would not be that far off:

Miguel's UNOFFICIAL 2008 Patriots Salary Cap Information Page

Last edited:
Add this to those New England Patriots 19-0 SB XLII t-shirts that they got. We'll have an ever expanding fan base into the un-tapped Ugandan market. I can see it now. 2009 regular season game.... Patriots-Colts in Uganda.

Shhhhh! I imagine Peter King will be speclating on this in MMQB. Then Goodell will catch wind of the idea...we'll be the first international team he was talking about on Sirius a few weeks ago.

Starting QB for the Ugandan Kamala's...number 12 Tom Brady!!

1,500 lap dances for underprivileged adults in Florida would have been a much cooler story.

And more useful. What do kids in Uganda need with laptops? I would think that clean water, shelter, food, electricity, roads and safety would be higher on their wish lists. And schools too, but ones with books, pencils, paper, blackboards, chalk, desks & teachers. Laptops? L-L-Laptops? Give me a break.

Companies tie in pr moves to advertising programs all the time. It's nice, but this is not Tom taking his own cash and purchasing labtops to be sent to poor kids for nothing. He didn't pay a dime for those pc's. Pc World dontated those labtops, slapped Tom's name on the donation, and got a big time endorsement from a top QB in the NFL. It's that simple.

At least some kids got some pc's though.
Please provide proof. Can you?

man, people will find a reason to bash anything..."what he bought laptops, when they could have used hd tv's more? What a jerk"

Companies tie in pr moves to advertising programs all the time. It's nice, but this is not Tom taking his own cash and purchasing labtops to be sent to poor kids for nothing. He didn't pay a dime for those pc's. Pc World dontated those labtops, slapped Tom's name on the donation, and got a big time endorsement from a top QB in the NFL. It's that simple.

At least some kids got some pc's though.
Can you prove this one?? Or just the usual BS???

very nice gesture...but why uganda...arent there a lot of people in AMERICA with needs too?

very nice gesture...but why uganda...arent there a lot of people in AMERICA with needs too?
The program is GLOBAL...THAT is what the PCs were built for...do read about this...online...

It's amazing to me how some of you need to find a reason to trash someone's generosity. Get a life....

The laptops cost less than $100.
$100 might be the manufacturing cost, but the "if sold" cost would probably be closer to $400. If someone cobbled together a laptop that they could sell for $100, nobody would want it, and Tom would not want to be associated with it because it would be garbage.

$100 might be the manufacturing cost, but the "if sold" cost would probably be closer to $400. If someone cobbled together a laptop that they could sell for $100, nobody would want it, and Tom would not want to be associated with it because it would be garbage.

Read up on the XO laptop. This IS the one I'm thinking of.

- yes, 100 bucks a laptop

- specifically manufactured to make charity gives/mass govt buys in the third world/developing world possible.

- Runs its own OS (no, Mr. Gates, you don't get a piece)

- Give a laptop/get a laptop means you get one and one gets donated for around 200 bucks

- you don't recharge it, you crank it up by hand

- any color you want as long as it's lime green (if memory serves)

Read up on the XO laptop. This IS the one I'm thinking of.

- yes, 100 bucks a laptop

- specifically manufactured to make charity gives/mass govt buys in the third world/developing world possible.

- Runs its own OS (no, Mr. Gates, you don't get a piece)

- Give a laptop/get a laptop means you get one and one gets donated for around 200 bucks

- you don't recharge it, you crank it up by hand

- any color you want as long as it's lime green (if memory serves)
Yes..I think a linux derivative...I know about this..first hand..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back