PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady and the Patriots Offense Should Stick to the Basics Heading Into the Playof

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFans.com Article

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Tom Brady and the Patriots Offense Should Stick to the Basics Heading Into the Playoffs
By: Christine Roy

When you think of the Patriots offense, do you think of an established run game? No? Neither do I. ...

Re: Tom Brady and the Patriots Offense Should Stick to the Basics Heading Into the Pl

I will be curious to see what the Patriots coaching staff decides to do in terms of running the ball in the playoffs. Stevan Ridley looked promising down the stretch and ended up averaging 5.1 yards per attempt; he averaged 13 carries over the last three games after only 48 rushing attempts total in the first 13 games. Does the rookie continue to get the ball or do they feel better handing it to BJGE, who virtually never fumbles? Law Firm averaged 4.4 yards per carry in each of the last two years, but only ran for that much in three games this year, the last of which was three months ago back in week 5 against the Jets. Personally I am of the opinion that the turf toe is still holding him back, and that is not going to change until after the season is over.

Then there's Kevin Faulk. If he's available - and that's a big if - he's a guy that can help Brady remain upright, not just because he is better at picking up the blitz, but also because he is better on screen passes, another effective deterrent to slowing down the pass rush.

On the other hand as Christine pointed out, if it's not broken then why fix it? When you have Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez at your disposal, why give someone else the ball? A healthy dose of the hurry up offense - perhaps utilized a bit earlier in the game - may be the best recipe for success.

Re: Tom Brady and the Patriots Offense Should Stick to the Basics Heading Into the Pl

Recently, I have noticed that they have incorporated more misdirection/reverse plays. We're using Edelman and Hernandez more in the run game. We're putting BJGE in motion. This is the most creative I've seen us in the run game. So I'm optimistic that BOB has something under his sleeve for the playoffs.

Recently, I have noticed that they have incorporated more misdirection/reverse plays. We're using Edelman and Hernandez more in the run game. We're putting BJGE in motion. This is the most creative I've seen us in the run game. So I'm optimistic that BOB has something under his sleeve for the playoffs.

That's worked pretty well as of late too. And it keeps the defense on their toes and limits their blitzing tremendously. If we face Pittsburgh or Baltimore I wouldn't doubt seeing a lot of end-a-rounds, smoke screens, and runs from shotgun.

I'd like to see more screen like the one to the Lawfirm this past week. We don't utilize our backs in the passing game nearly enough.

Draw, draw, draw. Don't waste anymore plays on dives and iso's especially if we get Pitt coming to town.

On the other hand as Christine pointed out, if it's not broken then why fix it? When you have Welker, Gronkowski and Hernandez at your disposal, why give someone else the ball? A healthy dose of the hurry up offense - perhaps utilized a bit earlier in the game - may be the best recipe for success.

Ideal would be get an early lead by throwing a lot, then control the clock with the run game. Overly simple, I know, but it has always worked. Just hope the offense can get into sync right off the bat, unlike the last two weeks. If we can do that, we'll be very hard to stop.

I'd like to see more screen like the one to the Lawfirm this past week. We don't utilize our backs in the passing game nearly enough.

I agree, I would have liked to have seen the running backs used in the passing game more often this year. I wonder how much of that decision had to do with injuries, especially earlier in the season? Kevin Faulk started the year on PUP, made his first appearance week 8 at Pittsburgh, and hardly ever got on the field again after that. Danny Woodhead would have been the next RB most likely to get some passes thrown to him but he wasn't getting much playing time in the first half of the year - perhaps due to that concussion he had early (although that didn't stop him from being used on kickoffs). BJGE has never really been part of the passing game (26 career receptions) and Stevan Ridley only had three receptions all year.

The quality of the run game is dependent on the health of the Offensive line. All season they have had to adjust to playing with a reserve Center.

For several games the Pats have had to adjust to playing three reserves, when in addition to Vollmers absence, Light or Mankins was dinged too. If Vollmer is back, and Light and Mankins are healthy, they can move Solder to blocking TE across from Gronk.

That is an awesome run line. It produced for the short time when it was available, and with contributing rookies, Cannon and Solder will be unstoppable next season. Meanwhile lets get down to playing only one or two reserves on the line.

A potential impact player is the signing of Lousaka Polite at FB. He can be as important as the signing of Brian Waters, earlier. Suddenly, BJGE was a short yardage threat again, bad toe and all, running behind the POA blocks of Polite.

I'm praying that Mankins is good to go next week.

I will be curious to see what the Patriots coaching staff decides to do in terms of running the ball in the playoffs. Stevan Ridley looked promising down the stretch and ended up averaging 5.1 yards per attempt; he averaged 13 carries over the last three games after only 48 rushing attempts total in the first 13 games. Does the rookie continue to get the ball or do they feel better handing it to BJGE, who virtually never fumbles? Law Firm averaged 4.4 yards per carry in each of the last two years, but only ran for that much in three games this year, the last of which was three months ago back in week 5 against the Jets. Personally I am of the opinion that the turf toe is still holding him back, and that is not going to change until after the season is over.

Then there's Kevin Faulk. If he's available - and that's a big if - he's a guy that can help Brady remain upright, not just because he is better at picking up the blitz, but also because he is better on screen passes, another effective deterrent to slowing down the pass rush.

On the run game, Riddley will be the featured back. I'm surprised anyone would think otherwise. The burst he has shown gives the Patriots a more poignant threat that didn't exist before. Note, A single fumble is not a fumble problem, however, IF the ball hits the ground just once in the Playoffs you can bet he will be riding the pine quickly. As far as BJGE, he will get hand offs, too, and he will get his short yardage/goal line work also.
Bottom line, the Patriots will try to establish a run game using Riddley and to a lesser extent BJGE (and of course a few draws to Woodhead). The moment the Patriots establish a run game (if they can) and become potent in both facits of the offense, our opponent is all but done.

Regarding the pass game, the Patriots typically stick to the basics. The open guy will get the pass and continue to get the pass until our opponent proves they can stop it. If we start getting bogged down in that, we go supersonic on them with the no huddle. Why would that change much for the playoffs? The season has proven if the opposition focuses on WW then it will be the TEs. If they focus on WW and Gronk, then it will be AH. If they somehow are able to focus/contain WW, Gronk and AH (they are able to pull off the tight man coverage), let's hope Branch or 85 or TU can step up and have a big game. The tight man coverage focusing on WW and the TEs means these guys should be open and catching passes (if not the Patriots are toast).
- The one thing I saw a couple times against Buff that I hope we are ready to use is the screen to BJGE (and maybe we are ready to give Riddley a chance with a screen or two).
- Obviously soooooooo much of our offensive success will depend upon the OL giving TFB time to throw, and how much we make teams pay for blitzing.

Are they going to install a new offense for the post season? Most definitely not.

They will exploit whatever advantage they feel they can get against the opposing defense and if that means the run game has to be a bit more featured, then that's what they will do. But, they have so many more weapons in the passing game (Brady being the most dangerous).

I would prefer to see a RB in the backfield and work the play action/screen game as well. With our TE's, we certainly can run quite a few sets from that formation andthe hurry up can further exploit a defense.

As to the article, the whole elague is basically moving it through the air (with the possible excpetion of Denver).

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes