Welcome to PatsFans.com

Told you. He's just like everybody else.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

I guess he meant "just words" literally. Maybe by "change" Obama was refering to changing his word.

The people are all the same. This guy is no different. I'm so voting 3rd party this year.

Obama rejects public financing against McCain

Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:11pm EDT

Obama to forgo public funds for election campaign

By John Whitesides and Caren Bohan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrat Barack Obama said on Thursday he would reject public financing of his campaign against Republican John McCain, reversing an earlier stance and positioning himself to outspend McCain in the White House race.

Obama said in a video message to supporters he would refuse $84 million in public funds available for the November general election. He is the first U.S. presidential candidate to bypass the system since it was created after the Watergate scandal in the mid-1970s.

"It's not an easy decision, and especially because I support a robust system of public financing of elections," Obama said in a video message e-mailed to supporters.

"But the public financing of presidential elections as it exists today is broken and we face opponents who've become masters at gaming this broken system," he said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSN1828132020080619

You know, he sounds just like Wildo and Patters in those last two paragraphs. See, it's not his fault that he went against his word. It's his opponents fault dammit! The years may change but politicians always remain the same.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

help me out here....

he turned down tax dollars for his campaign, and will keep funding it by donations...and thats bad how?

Does this mean McCain doesn't getthe 80+ million either?

I must be missing something here.

If you are complaining about a person running for president who is going back on his/her word....get in line, playah.

Campaign financing is not my forte, so I need some guidance here, my questions are genuine.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +403 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Why do you act surprised ? RW saud he's just like everyone else. Not that he's horrible and evil. But he's not the breath of fresh air Prince everyone makes him out to be. He'll go back on his word or stab you in the back as fast as McCain or the others.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Breath Prince of Fresh Air
  5. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Hahaha that made me laugh.

And I'm not voting for him, but he's right about the system being broken, and if McCain was rolling in the dough he'd be doing the same thing.
  6. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

Someone's paying attention. ;)
  7. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

They both took pledges before they were nominee's. He railed against the system, promised to be different, and in the end, guess what? He's the same. Tactically he'd be dumb to take matching funds. He's going to secure more cash this way.
  8. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Agreed. ONce again, Dems are not a legitimate opposition Party.
  9. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know why it makes me feel so good to see you say that...but it does...it just makes me grin...If we all voted for Barr...it still wouldn't matter a hill of sh!t in the rain....:bricks:
  10. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah he's definitely no different than other politicians. Scratch that, he is different; he's much better at being a politician. It's seemed to me for a while that he's one of the slickest politicians out there. He's deftly playing the change card, know that's what people want (without being specific; he's avoided focusing on race, knowing that would turn most people off; he's not matching funds, knowing that he'll have much more money at his disposal this way.

He's actually quite the political entity.
  11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +243 / 9 / -26

I agree... Anyone who expects change is out of their mind.. no matter who is in the white house the pandering and lies will continue, it is the nature of politics in the US.. very day the need for a 3rd party becomes more and more apparent.
  12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

I agree, he's a political Machine, little more. This guy takes a position and backs off at the first sign of trouble or just otherwise switches as he see fit. He makes Kerry look resolute. :rolleyes:

If he wasn't running unopposed, he'd probably easily get crushed. :cool:
  13. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 2 / -9

With all my usual bullsh!t aside I would like to say that Obama/Mccain are the two worst candidates that have run for the White House in my lifetime.

The American people had better be prepared for some "bigtime problems" in America, problems that will make Gas & Iraq look like the "good old days".

Gushing Fawning Political Correctness is going to get our country into some very dangerous deadly trouble.

Those of you who believe in God had better start doing a little praying, especially if Obama wins.

If I vote, I'll hold my nose and vote Mccain, with him I at least know "He Will FIGHT" if need be.

The Muslim Terrorists haven't forgotten us, they will NEVER forget us, they are waiting and they will "be back" they now hate us worse than they do Israel.

We are about to Elect a President who is one of the biggest LIBERALS in the country and we all know where Liberals stand when it comes to Security, Law And Order, Our Military and the Defense Of OUR COUNTRY.

GOD HELP US AND OUR CHILDREN.
  14. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You mean at the same time, right?
    Because Dewey, McGovern, Carter and Mondale were pretty bad.

But yes. It's very sad.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +411 / 5 / -2

He'll be in good shape so long as the media stays in his pocket.
  16. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What a depressing thread.
    True...but depressing.
  17. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Bob Barr?
  18. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

A political race is a sports contest and there's no good way around it.

Obama knows that the RNC has a lot more money than the DNC, and they are allowed to put out "informational" ads that have the effect of supporting a candidate. By opting out, Obama will be able to use his amazing fundraising machine to fend off attacks from the RNC, conservative special interest groups, and conservative radio and Fox "News."

I don't blame him one bit for opting out. It's the name of the game. The idea of the game is to win.
  19. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

That's besides the point. Anyone can be all idealistic, give great speaches, and sign a thought to be self politcally serving document. The problem is he didn't know he had this amazing fundraising machine and thought this would put him on a level money playing field. OOPS! Patters why can't you call what he did as dishonest, however politically advantageous it is.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  20. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Of course it's dishonest, but campaigns are dishonest. They always have been. You can go back to the 1800s and find all sorts of dishonesty:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_1800

"The 1800 election was a rematch of the 1796 election. The campaign was bitter and characterized by slander and personal attacks on both sides. Federalists spread rumors that the Democratic-Republicans were radicals who would murder their opponents, burn churches, and destroy the country (based on the Democratic-Republican preference for France over Britain. At the time, the rather violent French revolution was in full swing). In 1782, George Washington (who had no political party) had complained "that you could as soon scrub the blackamoor white, as to change the principles of a profest [sic] Democrat; and that he will leave nothing unattempted to overturn the Government of this Country.” Meanwhile, the Democratic-Republicans accused Federalists of destroying republican values with the Alien and Sedition Acts, which were later ruled unconstitutional; they also accused Federalists of favoring Britain in order to promote aristocratic, anti-republican values."

As long as their are commercials, newspaper ads, loopholes allowing third party groups to do unlimited campaigning, etc., campaigns will remain dishonest. I support Obama because he's run an outstanding campaign, and in my opinion the election of Bush proved the campaign is more important than the candidate.