PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Todd McShay's updated 7 Rd Mock Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPF

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
The more and more I think about pick #28, the more I feel we should move down and pick up a 2nd and an additional 3rd. What this draft lacks in 1st Rd talent it makes up for in depth so we need to better position ourselves for that. Unless the opportunity to trade up for LaRon Landry or Patrick Willis exists, then I say we move down.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07
April 17, 2007
USC's Jarrett drops seven spots
By Todd McShay

Scouts Inc.

24. New England (12-4) (from Seattle)
Projected pick: Aaron Ross, CB/RS, Texas
Needs: ILB, S, CB, OLB, RB, OT, QB, P, NT
The Patriots never act as if they're handcuffed by needs during draft weekend, but the Asante Samuel situation should increase their interest in this year's cornerback crop. Ross lacks ideal man-to-man cover skills but he has the size, instincts and playmaking ability to emerge as a difference-maker in the type of zone-heavy defensive scheme the Patriots run. Ross also can help in the return game, which adds to his value.

28. New England (12-4)
Projected pick: +Reggie Nelson, S, Florida

Griffin would be a better fit if he falls because he's more versatile than Nelson. The team could also use this pick on ILB John Beason. But in this scenario, Nelson is the best available option. At 6 feet and 198 pounds, Nelson has very good range and playmaking potential as a center fielder-type free safety. Also remember that head coach Bill Belichick loves players from Florida because he has tremendous respect for coach Urban Meyer.

Round 3
91. New England -- Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State

Round 4
127. New England -- Zak DeOssie, LB, Brown

Round 5
171. New England (compensatory selection) -- Chris Denman, OT, Fresno State

Round 6
180. New England (from Arizona) -- Kelvin Smith, ILB, Syracuse
202. New England -- Justin Hickman, OLB, UCLA
208. New England (compensatory selection) -- Ryne Robinson, WR/RS, Miami-Ohio
209. New England (compensatory selection) -- Scott Stephenson, C, Iowa State

Round 7
247. New England (compensatory selection) -- Jeff Rowe, QB, Nevada

Not bad at all....instead of Ross, i could see a LB, but other than that...you can't argue with Hunt, DeOssie, and NELSON AT 28!!!

Nelson won't likely be available at 24 let alone 28. I like the Tony Hunt & Chris Denman selections.

Not bad at all....instead of Ross, i could see a LB, but other than that...you can't argue with Hunt, DeOssie, and NELSON AT 28!!!

Yea, I don't like Ross in the first round, at all. Why would they take Ross at 24 if they end up taking Nelson or any Safety at 28, anyway? I could see them taking Michael Griffin at 24 before they would take Ross. Plus, he has Chris Houston still on the board and they take Ross instead? He adds that Ross' return ability adds to his value. Yea, maybe for other teams but not the Patriots. They have Hobbs, Welker, Maroney, and Faulk who are all good returners. He also talks about Ross not being a good man-to-man CB but he could be a good CB in NE's zone heavy coverage scheme. Well, they do use various zone schemes, but they also like having good man-to-man CB's who can play physical at the line. That is not Ross.

I don't know about Tony Hunt lasting until 91st overall, either

Some of his other picks from that Mock:
Woodley at 35th overall (Tampa Bay)
McCauley at 38th overall (Arizona)
Meriweather at 45th overall (Carolina)
David Harris at 52nd overall (St. Louis)
Josh Wilson at 53rd overall (Dallas)
Brian Leonard at 57th overall (Philly)
Stewart Bradley at 59th overall (Jets)
Gattis at 79th overall (Jags)
Booker at 80th overall (Tennessee)
Brandon Jackson at 82nd (St. Louis)
Chris Henry at 93rd (San Diego)
Piscitelli at 101st (Detriot)
Michael Bush at 104th (SF)
Brian Robison 106th (Minnesota)
Wendling at 110th (SF)
Dwayne Wright at 121st (Atlanta)
Chris Davis at 145th (Detriot)
Anthony Waters at 149th (Atlanta)
DeAndre Jackson at 161st (Seattle)
Desmond Bishop at 164th (Jets)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2839537

Can't argue with the picks and I have to say, I think I enjoy McShay's opinion more than Kiper's.

Ross isn't my favorite corner in the draft and I don't know if he should be making first round money, but I believe he fits the Patriots system and that might be worth more than a first round talent that doesn't fit the team's style. The draft is weak. What more can you say?

As I have said about Nelson, I think he is essentially the same type of corner that Wilson is. Nelson might be a bit more of a ballhawk, while Wilson can be remembered as a hitter. If Nelson can hit, he might be a poor man's Landry for the Patriots. Definately have been brianwashed into thinking he is a first round talent and I know that if he is drafted in the first round, it will be because of a great scouting report from Urban Meyer.

I would like Booker over Hunt with Morris playing the role of bruiser, but it isn't a horrible pick. Addressing the LB'er position can't be a bad thing either.

Can't argue with the picks and I have to say, I think I enjoy McShay's opinion more than Kiper's.

Ross isn't my favorite corner in the draft and I don't know if he should be making first round money, but I believe he fits the Patriots system and that might be worth more than a first round talent that doesn't fit the team's style. The draft is weak. What more can you say?

As I have said about Nelson, I think he is essentially the same type of corner that Wilson is. Nelson might be a bit more of a ballhawk, while Wilson can be remembered as a hitter. If Nelson can hit, he might be a poor man's Landry for the Patriots. Definately have been brianwashed into thinking he is a first round talent and I know that if he is drafted in the first round, it will be because of a great scouting report from Urban Meyer.

I would like Booker over Hunt with Morris playing the role of bruiser, but it isn't a horrible pick. Addressing the LB'er position can't be a bad thing either.

Yea but I would take Josh Wilson at 28 in in a trade down into the second, before I would take Aaron Ross at 24th overall.

I like Booker in the third round, as well. I also like Brandon Jackson.

Reggie Nelson isn't like Eugene Wilson. Wilson is a hitter, who likes to play the run at times, while Nelson is a deep center fielder, with great coverage skills, but suspect run support ability, and his tackling needs work. This is why I think Griffin and Meriweather make more sense for NE's style of defense. Plus, Nelson has question marks concering his intellect. Funny thing is McShay thinks Griffin would be a better fit. Well, if Griffin's a better fit give him to NE at 24th, instead of Ross.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye