PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Todd McShay Mock

If I was a Rams fan and my team picked a DT first overall, i would want to kill someone

They drafted a LT last year, they've picked 2nd overall the past 2 seasons. That pick HAS TO BE A QB.

Mcshay did this same **** last year, he's ultra conservative with the QB's, like he was saying the Lions should get a LT first overall.

New head coach, bad team, no QB play. The pick will be a QB.

If I was a Rams fan and my team picked a DT first overall, i would want to kill someone

They drafted a LT last year, they've picked 2nd overall the past 2 seasons. That pick HAS TO BE A QB.

Mcshay did this same **** last year, he's ultra conservative with the QB's, like he was saying the Lions should get a LT first overall.

I had the Rams taking Jake Locker, but obviously that won't happen. I'm not sure that Jimmy Clausen, Sam Bradford, or (possibly) Ryan Mallet are #1 type guys. So unless they trade back it may be a reach.

The good news is that a lot of teams would love to get Suh, and may actually be willing to trade up for a change. If I were the Rams I'd look at trading back, getting some extra picks, and taking a QB in the 5-10 range, or even later.

Cheers for the info Mayo.

I wouldn't mind Suh going first. He seems like the type of player who can make an impact all by himself while making people around him better. We've seen too many QB's taken at the top of a draft who would do fine if they could play behind a good OL with decent playmakers to distribute the ball to - but that's rarely the case for the team picking 1st, so they end up like David Carr, Tim Couch or JaMarcus Russell.

The thing I'm a little amazed by is seeing S Eric Berry up there in the top few picks. We've seen recently Sean Taylor, Michael Huff, Donte Whitner and LaRon Landry all go in the 5-10 range... Ed Reed lasted until #24... is Berry at #2 overall even close to decent value? Seems to me that he has to be an all pro level or else it's pretty much a bust for such a high pick at that position.

Oh, i have no problem with Suh being ranked the number 1 player, but I'd have a problem with the rams taking him.

I mean the Rams took Chris Long 2nd 2 years ago and he's a bust, and last year drafted a LT. This is the 3rd year in a row your drafting in the top 2, and you haven't picked a QB, i think it's time to release Bulger and get a fresh start. Plus, you drafted a LT 2nd overall to protect your franchise QB, which you don't have.

If you look back the last 2 years, pretty much everyone thought Dorsey was better than Ryan, but they picked Ryan, and most had Curry ranked highest last year, but they went with Stafford.

History is kinda telling us the pick will be a QB (Clausen) and i think it's the right thing too do. I think Suh goes to Tampa.

Oh, i have no problem with Suh being ranked the number 1 player, but I'd have a problem with the rams taking him.

I mean the Rams took Chris Long 2nd 2 years ago and he's a bust, and last year drafted a LT. This is the 3rd year in a row your drafting in the top 2, and you haven't picked a QB, i think it's time to release Bulger and get a fresh start. Plus, you drafted a LT 2nd overall to protect your franchise QB, which you don't have.

If you look back the last 2 years, pretty much everyone thought Dorsey was better than Ryan, but they picked Ryan, and most had Curry ranked highest last year, but they went with Stafford.

History is kinda telling us the pick will be a QB (Clausen) and i think it's the right thing too do. I think Suh goes to Tampa.

Any team that runs a 4-3 defense and has the first pick in the draft, would be nuts to pass on Suh. He is head and shoulders the most talented blue chip prospect in this draft, which has a good half dozen blue chip prospects.

Todd McShay from ESPN and Scouts Inc. has a 1st round mock out today:

Todd McShay: DT Ndamukong Suh tops the first 2010 mock NFL draft - ESPN

Among his more interesting picks (juniors with an *):

3. Cleveland - Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech
6. Oakland - Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida
8. Denver (from Chicago) - Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama
11. San Francisco - Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
12. Pittsburgh - Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland
13. San Francisco (from Carolina) - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
15. Tennessee - Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, USF
19. NY Giants - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
20. NY Jets - Brian Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
21. Miami - Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame
25. New England - Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: "New England desperately needs to improve its pedestrian pass rush, and Sapp has the burst to provide that much-needed spark. He has lined up primarily at end in college but has shown he can be effective working out of a two-point stance and would be a good fit for the Patriots' base 3-4 defense." Note that Jerry Hughes, Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham and others are still on the board.
26. Green Bay - CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
28. Philadelphia - Vladimir Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass: "Ducasse is 330 pounds and his feet might not be quick enough to hold up at left tackle, where he played at UMass, but he still moves well for his size and we think he could develop into a starting right tackle. If he doesn't pan out at tackle, he has the makings of an excellent guard." McShay has Ducasse as his top rated interior lineman, over Idaho's Mike Iupati.
29. San Diego - Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech
32. New Orleans - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Notable omissions from the 1st round include:

- OG Mike Iupati
- DE/OLB Greg Hardy
- DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
- DE/OLB Brandon Graham
- DE Cameron Heyward*
- DE Allen Bailey*
- DT Terrence Cody
- LB Sean Weatherspoon

I hate the Sapp pick. I don't think he can set the edge in BB's 3-4. I'd rather trade back, or take a dozen other players -Greg Hardy, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Terrence Cody, Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, CJ Spiller, Jonathan Dwyer, and Mike Iupati, among others.

Here is the thing with Sapp. If BB is only willing to draft an OLB that he can view on film stopping the run, rushing the passer and dropping into coverage, then Sapp is the guy from this draft.

Add in the Sapp is sudden and explosive, then you have an intriguing prospect. Is Sapp stout enough to take on OT's and pulling OG's in the running game? Doubtful.

BB has a history of taking 3 down players in the first round. I don't see Sapp as a 3 down player.

However a day one draft of OLB Sapp; NT Cody; DE Wooten and OG Johnson potentially fills 4 big holes, if Wilfork walks.

I find it ridiculous that Cody will not be a 1st rounder... and Sapp looks like a Shawn Crable redux to me -- not good for a 3-4 team imo.

A lot of people think Cody is a 2 down DT and 2 down DT's are not first round picks. Consider that Alabama had Cody in rotation with Chapman (from the same high school as Chad Jackson I think) and that adds to the impression that he is a second round talent.

It does not matter to me what ropund we get Cody, just so long as we get him.

Good for Tampa, then. They took their QB last year (16 overall?) on the start of what they probably expected to be a downward trend... now they're in position to grab a guy that pretty much everyone agrees has what it takes to be a dominant NFL player.

I'd rather see my team reload that way than to have to draft #1 overall out of need while leaving the "best" player on the board and thereby placing the pressure of improving the franchise on that one player.

I'd say it's been since 1998 that the #1 overall player been a QB who was also the clear cut best guy out there, with Peyton. 1999 was close when Philly got McNabb #2, after Tim Couch. Since then, we've had as #1 overall QBs: Vick, Carr, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Smith and Russell. With Palmer, it's a little debatable whether he was the best player in the draft (I say no), the rest of them it's obviously far from the truth.

To be fair, Manning wasn't the clear best player - Ryan Leaf was phenomenal in College.

To be fair, Manning wasn't the clear best player - Ryan Leaf was phenomenal in College.

Ryan leaf was a huge "system" QB in college.

I think evaluating if a system QB can translate into a productive QB is the hardest evaluation in the NFL draft process.

Most of Tedford's QBs don;t translate well into the NFL.
Same for the old Houston run and shoot QB's Klinger, Ware, etc.
I think the jury is still out on Urban Meyer QB's.

If I guy is afriad to throw into medium sized windows in college, just think how he is going to struggle with small microscopic windows in the NFL. I think this is where the evaluation process let down San Diego in regard to Leaf.

Good for Tampa, then. They took their QB last year (16 overall?) on the start of what they probably expected to be a downward trend... now they're in position to grab a guy that pretty much everyone agrees has what it takes to be a dominant NFL player.

I'd rather see my team reload that way than to have to draft #1 overall out of need while leaving the "best" player on the board and thereby placing the pressure of improving the franchise on that one player.

I'd say it's been since 1998 that the #1 overall player been a QB who was also the clear cut best guy out there, with Peyton. 1999 was close when Philly got McNabb #2, after Tim Couch. Since then, we've had as #1 overall QBs: Vick, Carr, Carson Palmer, Eli Manning, Smith and Russell. With Palmer, it's a little debatable whether he was the best player in the draft (I say no), the rest of them it's obviously far from the truth.

I agree that Suh is the best player in the draft, but i also think that QB is a much more valuable position than a DT. I generally agree with you about taking BPA, but i make an exception for the QB, because to win you pretty much need good QB play.

And the Rams have been so bad for so long, i think the team just needs hope. Theres only so much a DT that can do.

They got there LT last year, they have a stud RB, get a QB and you've got the makings of a pretty good offense.

Ricky Sapp is such a horrible pick there. How can anyone think he's the best pass rusher still available. I probably wouldn't even take Sapp in the 3rd round.

Why is Sapp such a horrible pick there? I'd like to here your view in comparison to say, the 20 or 30 top rate draft sites that have Sapp as being one of the best in college and already with experience in the 3-4 and 4-3.

Why is Sapp such a horrible pick there? I'd like to here your view in comparison to say, the 20 or 30 top rate draft sites that have Sapp as being one of the best in college and already with experience in the 3-4 and 4-3.
Everything about Sapp to me says Shawn Crable 2.0

Everything about Sapp to me says Shawn Crable 2.0

Great comparison. I was about to say the same thing.

I wouldn't call Sapp a "horrible" pick, but there are a dozen guys I would prefer at DE/OLB for us. Sapp reminds me a lot of Shawn Crable - he's 6'4" and around 245-248# without much lower body strength. He's a nice edge rusher, but I just don't see him being strong enough to set the edge for us.

There are a lot of other guys out there who have the strength to take on blockers and set the edge, as well as rush the passer - Brandon Graham, Jeremy Beal, Greg Hardy, Greg Romeus, Austen Lane and Eric Norwood come to mind. Even Sergio Kindle seems stronger against the run than Sapp.

Another guy Ricky Sapp sort of reminds me of is Manny Lawson. I liked both Lawson and Crable when they came out, and both have disappointed. I'm a bit leery of Sapp, though I could be wrong.

Another guy Ricky Sapp sort of reminds me of is Manny Lawson. I liked both Lawson and Crable when they came out, and both have disappointed. I'm a bit leery of Sapp, though I could be wrong.

You nailed the Lawson comparison, Mayo. I think that it's time for me to start looking pretty hard at prospects. Amongst other available prospects, who do you think has the hips to play in the scheme? Need to fire up the research!

You nailed the Lawson comparison, Mayo. I think that it's time for me to start looking pretty hard at prospects. Amongst other available prospects, who do you think has the hips to play in the scheme? Need to fire up the research!

I think the trick is finding guys who have loose enough hips but who are strong enough to set the edge and take on blockers. Sergio Kindle, for example, has loose hips, but I'm not sure he's strong enough to set the edge for us.

I like Jeremy Beal a lot. I think he may be the most complete package in terms of the skills he brings. Love Greg Romeus, but I'm not sure about his hips. Austen Lane appears to have pretty decent hips from what little I've been able to see, and he may be strong enough as well. Brandon Graham is intriguing, but I'm not sure about his hips. But I also need to look at a lot more film to figure guys out.

Eric Norwood is the next Tedy Bruschi. A little short, but he can rush from anywhere in the front seven and he makes plays at crunch time.

I'm betting that Belichick uses Oakland's 2011 pick and a #2 to pick a decent 1st round player.

While everyone on the main forum has been b*tching about waiting till 2011 to see what Seymours pick will bring, they seemed to have overlooked what you said. BB could easily use that pick in a trade in the 2010 draft. We have the picks to make the moves, and pick up everything we need. DE, NT, OLB ,,,,,,oh hell, the list is too long :D

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back