8. Denver (from Chicago) - Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama
11. San Francisco - Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
12. Pittsburgh - Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland
13. San Francisco (from Carolina) - Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
15. Tennessee - Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, USF
19. NY Giants - Brandon Spikes, ILB, Florida
20. NY Jets - Brian Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
21. Miami - Golden Tate*, WR, Notre Dame
25. New England - Ricky Sapp, DE/OLB, Clemson: "New England desperately needs to improve its pedestrian pass rush, and Sapp has the burst to provide that much-needed spark. He has lined up primarily at end in college but has shown he can be effective working out of a two-point stance and would be a good fit for the Patriots' base 3-4 defense." Note that Jerry Hughes, Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham and others are still on the board.
26. Green Bay - CJ Spiller, RB, Clemson
28. Philadelphia - Vladimir Ducasse, OT/OG, UMass: "Ducasse is 330 pounds and his feet might not be quick enough to hold up at left tackle, where he played at UMass, but he still moves well for his size and we think he could develop into a starting right tackle. If he doesn't pan out at tackle, he has the makings of an excellent guard." McShay has Ducasse as his top rated interior lineman, over Idaho's Mike Iupati.
29. San Diego - Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech
32. New Orleans - Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee

Notable omissions from the 1st round include:

- OG Mike Iupati
- DE/OLB Greg Hardy
- DE/OLB Jerry Hughes
- DE/OLB Brandon Graham
- DE Cameron Heyward*
- DE Allen Bailey*
- DT Terrence Cody
- LB Sean Weatherspoon

I hate the Sapp pick. I don't think he can set the edge in BB's 3-4. I'd rather trade back, or take a dozen other players -Greg Hardy, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Terrence Cody, Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, CJ Spiller, Jonathan Dwyer, and Mike Iupati, among others.

Ricky Sapp is such a horrible pick there. How can anyone think he's the best pass rusher still available. I probably wouldn't even take Sapp in the 3rd round.

Best available player at that position in that draft is probably DT Terrence Cody. Put Vince Wilfork at DE with Ty Warren and Cody at DT and the run will not be an issue. Then get some pass rushers and offensive linemen in the 2nd round.

I like mocks but MOST don't put the time into them and make bad picks.
I agree with you Mayo, I don't like the pick either.

I think I'd prefer Heyward over Cody. But a double NT front would crazy against the run though :rofl:

Chad Reuter from NFLdraftscout/CBSsports also has a mock out today:

NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Reuter has SF taken Ricky Sapp at #10, which is even more ridiculous. He has Cameron Heyward going #11 to Denver and Rolando McClain #12 to Pittsburgh (that would absolutely kill me). He has the Pats taking DE Corey Wootton from Northwestern at #25. I like Wootton, but not in the 1st round - he's been too inconsistent this season. Like McShay, Reuter has Terrence Cody slipping out of the 1st round, among others.

I find it ridiculous that Cody will not be a 1st rounder... and Sapp looks like a Shawn Crable redux to me -- not good for a 3-4 team imo.

I think I'd prefer Heyward over Cody. But a double NT front would crazy against the run though :rofl:

I should have clarified - if Heyward was available I would have preferred him too, as I think he could be another Seymour at the 5 technique. I've said in other threads that I think Heywards is one of the guys that I would definitely consider a 1st round value for us. Otherwise I think Cody would be the best value.

Thanks for pointing that out.

I find it ridiculous that Cody will not be a 1st rounder... and Sapp looks like a Shawn Crable redux to me -- not good for a 3-4 team imo.

Good comparison. I think of him as a Manny Lawson kind of guy. I think Sapp, like Lawson and Crable, lacks the strength to set the edge and play the run. He's a speed rusher only. And, like Crable, I'm not sure it will be easy for him to add the necessary bulk and strength to be effective in our kind of 4-3.

I find it ridiculous that Cody will not be a 1st rounder.

Teams which play the 3-4 and could use help at NT:

- Denver
- Kansas City
- Pittsburgh (Casey Hampton will be 33 and will be a UFA)
- NY Jets (Kris Jenkins will be 31, is coming of IR and has chronic back problems)
- Miami (Jason Ferguson is 35)
- San Diego (Jamal Williams will be 34 and coming off IR)

In addition, the following teams could potentially use an upgrade:

- Baltimore (Kelly Gregg is 33 and their run defense has suffered)
- San Francisco
- Dallas (Jay Ratliff is good, but not the run stuffer that Cody would be)
- Minnesota (while not a 3-4 team, Pat Williams is a 320# guy and will turn 38 next season)
- Cleveland (Shaun Rogers will be 31 and has had weight, injury and off field issues; he's coming off IR)

Cody and Tennessee DT Dan Williams are the only 2 3-4 DTs or "big" 4-3 DTs who are likely to be impact defenders coming out of this draft. I can't imaging that they won't both go 1st round.

Again, I'd prefer an impact 3-4 DE like Cameron Heyward, but depending on who's available I'd have no problem taking Cody in the 1st round and moving Wilfork to DE.

Teams which play the 3-4 and could use help at NT:

Cody and Tennessee DT Dan Williams are the only 2 3-4 DTs or "big" 4-3 DTs who are likely to be impact defenders coming out of this draft. I can't imaging that they won't both go 1st round.

Again, I'd prefer an impact 3-4 DE like Cameron Heyward, but depending on who's available I'd have no problem taking Cody in the 1st round and moving Wilfork to DE.

Couldn't agree more... With Cody and Wilfork both on the team, it allows for lots of flexibility to deal with injuries and different game situations.

Running down? Mr. Warren, Mr. Cody, and Mr. Wilfork would love running downs.

That said, a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB is still my 1st priority -- seeing Morgan going #3 in the McShay draft was a bullet thru my heart.

Couldn't agree more... With Cody and Wilfork both on the team, it allows for lots of flexibility to deal with injuries and different game situations.

Running down? Mr. Warren, Mr. Cody, and Mr. Wilfork would love running downs.

That said, a 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB is still my 1st priority -- seeing Morgan going #3 in the McShay draft was a bullet thru my heart.

I loved your last NEPatriots mock, BTW. I commented on it in the thread about mocks picking DBs for the Pats.

I loved your last NEPatriots mock, BTW. I commented on it in the thread about mocks picking DBs for the Pats.
Just took a look at it. Yea, great job NEP. I really like the back to back Beal and Graham picks in the second round. Never considered that combination. Two guys that are both excellent pass rushers and edge setters. Plus either can play either 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE equally as well. Pats would be set for a while with those guys. Could be the next Freeney and Mathis except with more versatility.

Last edited:
Mangini won't be picking at #3 ... that is a pick waiting to be traded ... same for the Chiefs.

I'm betting that Belichick uses Oakland's 2011 pick and a #2 to pick a decent 1st round player.

Then ... he'll trade our #1 pick for a #2 and a 2011 1st.

Last edited:
Just took a look at it. Yea, great job NEP. I really like the back to back Beal and Graham picks in the second round. Never considered that combination. Two guys that are both excellent pass rushers and edge setters. Plus either can play either 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE equally as well. Pats would be set for a while with those guys. Could be the next Freeney and Mathis except with more versatility.

With that draft I'd hope that Karlos Dansby somehow ends up a FA and try and get him to solidify the middle. Then I think you would see some very explosive things out of our defense.

Could someone post the full first round if possible? I'm not an Insider, so can't read it.

Ta muchly :)

Could someone post the full first round if possible? I'm not an Insider, so can't read it.

Ta muchly :)

I don't know if we're allowed to directly post what is supposed to be "protected" content.

I listed almost half the 1st round picks (it's only a 1 round mock, anyway) in my OP. Here's a few others:

1. St. Louis - Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
2. Tampa Bay - Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
4. Detroit - Gerlad McCoy, DT, Oklahoma
5. Kansas City - Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma St.
7. Washington - Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma
9. Seattle - Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
10. Buffalo - Anthony Davis, OT, Rutgers

I'll post a few more separately.

Mangini won't be picking at #3 ... that is a pick waiting to be traded ... same for the Chiefs.

I'm betting that Belichick uses Oakland's 2011 pick and a #2 to pick a decent 1st round player.

Then ... he'll trade our #1 pick for a #2 and a 2011 1st.

Mangini won't be picking at #3, because if he's somehow still employed by the Browns, or any other NFL franchise, he's going to have a Vice-President or GM making the call on draft day.

Honestly though, I expect Mangini to be a DC for some college team if he coaches next year.

Here's a few more:

14. Houston - Earl Thomas, S, Texas
16. Atlanta - Navarro Bowman, LB, Penn St.
17. Baltimore - Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma St.
18. Jacksonville - Bruce Carter, LB, North Carolina
22. Arizona - Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
23. Seattle (from Denver) - Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
24. Dallas - Taylor Mays, S, USC
27. Cincinnati - Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina
30. Minnesota - Brian Price, DT, UCLA
31. Indianapolis - Jared Odrick, DT, Penn St.

That should cover it.

29. San Diego - Jonathan Dwyer*, RB, Georgia Tech

Dwyer to the Chargers scares me. With a healthy OL and another playmaking WR, that offense would be close to unstoppable.

Of course, offense isn't their problem these days.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back