PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today's post by NEInsider on ESPN board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's that 'dead horse' picture? I need to post it.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

This argument has become old and tired. Throughout my years in HS, the SEC, and beyond, I've never heard of a coach telling his CB to expect Safety help over the top, then instructing the Safety to choose which CB to support. It's an entirely different story if you think Safety help could possibly be there. Also, your Safety could obviously make a mistake (human error), which could result in a situation similar to the one "NEInsider" described, but that's not a "system" or something the Patriots coaching staff would be happy about.

I'll also add that NE uses Cover One less frequently than your average team, and in 2007 Samuel was much more likely to receive Safety help over the top, as the Patriots schemed around his ability to break on the ball. There was a few instances where Hobbs tried to cover for a blown assignment, or the Safety was late coming over, though. LB's being late in coverage on his side of the field seemed like a more common problem, as he generally played deeper than Samuel, and received help underneath.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey