PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Today's notes -- Linebackers, DBs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason Allen had great numbers also. He raised his stock, bigtime. He was considered a first rounder after his junior year but decided to return to school and got injured.

I still like Richard Marshall.

The Stanford kid - Jon Alston looked loose and fast for his size. I missed his cone drills but he looks to be a ST animal and if he could trim down 10lbs I bet he'd be a rock solid safety. Figuring that he most likely tried to bulk up for the combine, Alston probably is a natural 215 pounder and thus a natural for a SS in the type of system the Pats run.

Greenway really looked like Pats type of player with his body shape, exemplary technique and calm demeanor - that's why he'll never get down to them...

I believe Alston was listed at 220 for the Senior Bowl. He ran a 4.4 so whatever he weighs now didn't slow him. Ellison (Oregon State) had the best hips in the coverage drills and he is a former Safety whom the Pats' scouts spoke with at the Shrine Game practices, he was forecast to run a 4.7, anyone with a pay subscription to a draft site who can report on his 40?

Even if you have a hunch Cromartie is going to be a great player,
he shouldn't be drafted at 21. One college start!! Come on...you
know we're not taking him why even bother talking about him?

patsfaninpa said:
Even if you have a hunch Cromartie is going to be a great player,
he shouldn't be drafted at 21. One college start!! Come on...you
know we're not taking him why even bother talking about him?

It's not a hunch, he is a great player. He started one game as a sophomore, and was the Seminoles #3 corner otherwise. He was rated the #2 CB in the country his Junior year before he got hurt. I don't think there's any doubt that he's the best cover corner in the draft. If his health were guaranteed, he'd probably be a top 12 pick. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to get him at 21.

Last edited:
There seem to be conflicting reports on Cromartie. NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM and SCOUT.COM supposedly have Cromartie as having run in the 4.49-4.51 range. I know that Gil Brandt listed Cromartie as 4.39, but he doesn't list Cromartie under the re-cap page.

Does anyone have another source that might be able to verify which of the reports is correct?

DaBruinz said:
There seem to be conflicting reports on Cromartie. NFLDRAFTSCOUT.COM and SCOUT.COM supposedly have Cromartie as having run in the 4.49-4.51 range. I know that Gil Brandt listed Cromartie as 4.39, but he doesn't list Cromartie under the re-cap page.

Does anyone have another source that might be able to verify which of the reports is correct?

The Palm Beach Post has it as 4.39, but who knows where they got it from.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports..._hester_0301.html?cxtype=rss&cxsvc=7&cxcat=46

Notes from the Combine DB broadcast, 'u' = unofficial - NFL Network broadcast parts of two drills:
- backpedal reaction speed drill - a timed turn drill where the DB flip his hips and turns 180 degrees on command; player starts in a backpedal for about 10 yds, then is "turned" by the coach and has to sprint the next 20 yds. Most of my turn comments relate to this drill.
- Another backpedal drill where the DB watches the coach with the ball and flips his hips in the direction of the ball, two turns then a speed turn, locate the coach upfield and close on him while looking for the ball in the air, go get the ball at your highest point. The backpedal/hip flip is set up on a hash mark to show whether he weaves around too much. More of a Safety drill.

The comments are Mike Mayock's.

Mayocks top corners:
Michael Huff 6’2†205 Texas 4.34/40, 10'5" broad jump, 40.5" vertical jump, 21 bench, comments: Mayock, likes him at corner, played all 4 positions at Texas, got everybody lined up in the secondary, physical enough to play safety, very patient backpedal, can blitz, great backpedal, tremendous feet and change of direction. Drill: smooth backpedal/wheel.
Antonio Cromartie 6’2†208 Florida State, 4.49/4.58u 40, 11' broad jump, 18 bench, comments: tore ACL before season, no snaps as junior, 1 career start, played 12 games, 4 int at nickelback in 04, Junior, rare movement for size, claim athletic ability comparable to Deion Sanders. Drill: backpedal-change of direction-speed turn, you could hear the Coach saying "that was good."
Jimmy Williams Virginia Tech.
Kelly Jennings 6’ 178 Miami (Fla.), 4.39/40, 40" vertical jump, 4.00 short shuttle, 10’u broad jump, Comments: Mayock - best feet of the corners at the Senior Bowl, quicker then fast, 32.75†arms, slot CB immediately as pro, gives up inside too easily in press on Senior Bowl practice tape, needs more attack at LOS, patient backpedal. Drill: decent backpedal, stumbled on wheel turn.
Cedric Griffin 6’ 200 Texas, 4.52/4.49u 40, 10'5" broad jump, 4.10 short shuttle, 6.84 3-cone, comments: Mayock - has him in his 1st round, many don’t. Cover two corner, struggles a bit with man, better player in pads, tough.
Tye Hill 5’9†179 Clemson, 4.30/40, 10'9" broad jump, 41" vertical jump, 6.63 vertical jump, 4.01 short shuttle, 11.17 long shuttle. Drilll: smooth backpedal-turn.

Mayock’s top safeties:
Donte’ Whitner Ohio St. 4.40/40, 11' broad jump, comments: Junior.
Jason Allen 6’ 209 Tennessee, 4.39/40, 10'11" broad jump, 39.5" vertical jump, 6.75 3-cone, 3.81 short shuttle, 11.17 long shuttle, comments: hip injury week 5, prior to the season could be corner or safety, drills will be a test of the hip. Drill: did not do position drills.
Anthony Smith Syracuse 41" vertical jump, comments: sleeper, 2nd round.
Daniel Bullocks 6’.5†212 Nebraska, 4.38/40, 6.91 3-cone, 11.22 long shuttle, 18 bench, comments: 2nd round, great senior bowl, patient man to man. Drill: good backpedal/speed turn.
Ko Simpson S. Carolina, 4.45/40, 40.5†vertical jump, comments: junior, highly talented.
Darnell Bing 6’3†227 USC, 4.07 short shuttle, comments: junior, highly talented, looking at potential OLB. Drills: no 40, turned early on his own, smooth turn, smooth in 2nd drill.

The remaining Defensive Backs
Johnathan Joseph 5’11†193 S. Carolina, 4.31/40, 11.23 long shuttle, comments: varied opinions. Drill: a little slow on the turn, but stayed under control.
Tim Jennings 5’7.75†185 Georgia 4.32/40, comments: very quick cover corner, 4 year starter, quick and explosive in small areas, good change of direction skill set, short with short arms bad combo.
Willie Andrews 5’9†193 Baylor, 4.38/40, comments: KR, played SS and CB. Drill: decent turn, stiffer hips, long steps in backpedal, not a straight backpedal, didn’t go get the ball.
Antoine Bethea 203 Howard 4.39/40, 10’7†broad jump, 19 bench, comments: FS, tough kid, forced 6 fumbles this year, 203 up fm 188. Drills: shaky, stumbled on turn, better 2nd time but still off balance.
Reuben Houston Ga. Tech, 4.66/4.62u 40, 10’7†broad jump, 41.5†vertical jump, 21 bench, comments: track team, problems off the field missed 9 games in senior season because of off-field issues, triple jump champion, returned some punts. Drill: decent turn.
Darrell Brooks 6’ 198 Arizona, 4.74/4.76u 40, 10’5†broad jump, comments: FS, 2nd all Pac 10, graduated early/intelligent. Drill: smooth.
Josh Lay Pittsburg, 4.49u 40, 40.5†vertical jump. Drill: good turn.
Chris Harrell Penn State, 4.74/4.72u 40, 40.5†vertical jump, comments: in the box ss, smart and tough, missed junior season with hairline fracture in neck, limited cover skills.
Jahmile Addae W. Virginia, 4.61/4.74u 40, 38.5†vertical jump, comments: nickname the hammer, 99 tackles as freshman, 3 year starter, struggled a bit man to man. Drill: nice turn, stiffer 2nd time through, decent backpedal, jumped the coaches instruction.
Reed Doughty 6’ 209 N. Colorado, 4.71/4.66u 40, 6.66 3-cone, 10’1â€u broad jump, comments: blocked kicks, high production, makes plays, STs at first and compete to start, 2nd day pick.
Marcus Demps San Diego St, 4.72/4.83u 40, 6.91 3-cone, 4.09 short shuttle, 11.10 long shuttle, 9’9â€u broad jump. Drill: good feet, ball skills weak.
Dee Webb Florida, 4.41/40.
Pat Watkins Florida State, 4.42/40, 11’1†broad jump, 41†vertical jump.
Richard Marshall Fresno State, 4.42/40, 10’9†broad jump.
Gerrick McPhearson Maryland, 4.42/40, 10’9†broad jump, 41.5†vertical jump.
David Pittman Northwestern State, 4.44/40.
Derrick Martin Wyoming, 4.45/40.
Danieal Manning Abilene Christian, 4.46/40.
Demario Minter Georgia, 10’11†broad jump.
Bernard Pollard Purdue, 10’11†broad jump.
Marcus Maxey Miami (Fla.), 10’9†broad jump, 41.5†vertical jump.
Alton McCann W. Virginia, 40.5†vertical jump.
Darrell Hunter 6’ 206 Miami OH, 4.41/4.49u 40, 9’10â€u broad jump, comments: big CB, struggled in coverage at Senior Bowl, inconsistent on tape, just doesn’t play well enough on tape, needs to force himself to play the right way every play. Drill: stumbled.
Charles Gordon 5’10†183 Kansas, 4.53/4.62u 40, 9’5â€/9’7â€u broad jump, comments: Mayock - junior, could have used another year, very quick, good feet, played WR, led nation as sophomore in ints with 7, played DB/WR as junior.
Roman Harper Alabama, 19 bench.
Dawan Landry GA. Tech, 18 bench. Drill: decent turn.
Greg Blue 6’2†216 Georgia, 4.7u (stumbled)/4.62u 40, comments: potential OLB, in the box SS, on tape either knocks you out or misses the tackle. Drill: turned early on his own, shaky 2nd drill.
Chris Hawkins 5’10†183 Marshall, 4.49/4.53u 40, comments: transfer from UNC - infraction of team rules forced to sit out, undersized corner, good straight line speed. Drill: good turn.
Devin Hester 5’10.5†190 Miami (FL), 4.45/4.44u 40, comments: played CB/WR, return man without position, one of the quickest guys in short area which makes him a good return guy, most electrifying returner in country, better short area burst then long speed, quicker acceleration from a dead stop. Drill: nice turn.
Jarvis Herring Florida, 4.82/4.96u 40, comments: in the box ss. Drill: lost a step on turn.
Marcus Hudson NC State, comments: left knee sprain from Senior Bowl practices.
Calvin Lowry Penn State, 4.58u 40, omments: Mayock likes him, quicker than fast, smart, tough, return punts, smart, instinctive. Drill: good turn.
Antonio Malone 5’11.75†200 Toledo, 4.63u 40, comments: started for 3 years, tough CB. Drill: stiff turn.

I was extremely impressed with Cromartie's turns. Lightning quick and silky smooth. I also heard the coaches raving while he was doing it.

Cromartie actually struggled from every time I've seen other than Brandt's. He ran a 4.49 and 4.58 if I recall correctly, is what I'm hearing from every other source.

Greeway

His 4.75 forty is going to drop him right to the Pats. He doesn't have as much speed as advertised and he's not a drop dead tackler. However, he's smart, an exceptional pass defender, has good hands and can battle offensive linemen and linebackers.

he only had 16 reps at 225 pounds....less then jay cutler, i dont think he has the ability to shed blocks, and i think he still goes earlier then 21, PICK CROMARTIE, ALL THE WAY!!!!

Pisa said:
His 4.75 forty is going to drop him right to the Pats. He doesn't have as much speed as advertised and he's not a drop dead tackler. However, he's smart, an exceptional pass defender, has good hands and can battle offensive linemen and linebackers.
I agree that Greenway is being pushed down (vice sliding) by the more athletic kids, I don't know that I would take him at 21, but he replaces Phifer and allows Pees to use Vrabel for stunts with Willie and Rosie.

drew4008 said:
Cromartie actually struggled from every time I've seen other than Brandt's. He ran a 4.49 and 4.58 if I recall correctly, is what I'm hearing from every other source.

If that's the case, hopefully he'll improve it at his pro day.

I think that there were two initial reports, 4.39 and 4.49. I think every other media outlet used one of those reports without verification. Let's see what the official results are when they're eventually posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down