Welcome to PatsFans.com

Today in Obesity

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Tunescribe, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

All right fatties, you know who you are. (If you have any doubt, a person has traditionally been considered to be obese if they are more than 20 percent over their ideal weight.)

As you suck down another soda, be mindful that you also are sucking on my wallet. More than guns, more than cigarettes, OBESITY is a leading threat to the health and well-being of Americans from coast to coast. And it also is a HUGE burden on both our tax and healthcare systems.

Obesity Trumps Smoking As American Health Burden | WBUR & NPR

Quote: You know what used to be -- smoking used to be the biggest cause of preventable death and disease, and today, as fewer people smoke and obesity rates creep up, obesity has now surpassed smoking as the biggest burden on America's health, according to a study out this week in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.

2. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

We'll have no progress until HFCS is banned.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  3. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Bah. It's the chemical equivalent of sugar, it'll NEVER be banned. America's fat slobs simply have poor eating and lifestyle habits; there is NO EXCUSE! It's a matter of simple common sense.

4. DocHoliday

DocHoliday In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +134 / 2 / -1

No it's really not.

If you're familiar with glycolysis you'll know it it's the first of many breakdown systems used to extract energy from sugars. Glucose is the ideal sugar and the primary input for this process.

Fructose (features in high fructose corn syrup) also is used here, but it enters about halfway through as it is processed separately before joining.

It just so happens that by skipping the first couple steps you miss one of the crucial feedback mechanisms in the overall reaction that slows down the process if there's too much sugar already.

Gross oversimplification but HFCS disrupts the normal sugar regulation of the body. A good analogy is giving your car gas without it 'counting' toward your gas gauge. You won't know how much gas you really have!

This is not to minimize our poor eating habits at all, you are right. But it would probably help the people who don't pay attention to their diet quite a bit.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  5. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

This says HFCS and sugar are identical nutritionally:

Nutrition Question Answered: Is White Sugar Better Than High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Quote: Both are bad for your health when consumed in excessive amounts because eating too much of either one might promote weight gain, and neither sweetener has any nutritive value beyond the calories. Some people believe HFCS is more dangerous to your health than regular sugar, but those claims aren't based on science.

Beyond this argument, the matter is moot if you minimize intake of processed foods which often are food-like "products" masquerading as food.

6. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

Hmmm...now which one of you is this?

[​IMG]

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +892 / 7 / -3

I blame transfats....

[​IMG]

...and HFCS...

[​IMG]

:eek:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  8. Hamar

Hamar In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +448 / 2 / -3

#11 Jersey

Study: Overweight People Live Longer

People who are over weight but not obese live longer than people that are considered at proper weight or under. Of course since almost all weight studies use BMI as a guide they are all wrong since BMI is a tool for pharmaceutical companies and so forth to make money.

9. Claremonster

Claremonster Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -1

Sugar needs to be banned! Corn also! No more cows! Their farts are melting the glaciers!

Who cares about the friggin national debt. We never had a damn thing to do with it. Just push the reset on the monetary debt. Start over. It happened multiple times in the past. Money is just a few keystrokes on a computer these days.

10. IllegalContact

IllegalContact Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 29 / -34

people are fat because they can't control their intake while sitting on their fat arses watching Dr. Oz

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +551 / 6 / -24

#18 Jersey

Just another issue people want our gov't to fix! Can't believe it either!

At what point are we responsible for our own well being? There are concepts called discipline and exercise....try them.

I highly doubt many here would believe how well gimmicky diet pills sell. Why? Because most people want the easy way...take a pill, lose weight! The funny part is that the darn pills won't do a thing if you eat crap and don't exercise!

12. alvinnf

alvinnf In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

Food is just crap these days. Everything is made with preservative, fillers, hormones and so on. Strawberries last for weeks and are available year round, really? Their is a burden placed on families to work more, which decreases the amount of time one has to actually prepare a meal with real ingredients. So companies push computer generated rice dishes and IQF pre grilled chicken breast full of pump. Divorce rates are high so quick and easy has become the rule of the day. It's hard to work and raise kids. It's hard to work and have a family and raise kids. In the end we are just lazy. Eating right requires planning and effort, two things we gave up on long ago.

13. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

Here's how "difficult" it is to eat healthy AND cheaply for several meals:

1-lb.bag of lentils: 79 cents.
    Bag of chopped frozen spinach: $1.19
    Large can diced tomatoes: 89 cents.
    Large onion (diced): 60 cents.

Add water. Simmer on high in a crock pot for four hours. Salt and pepper afterward to taste.

I got four meals out of that as the main dish -- full of protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals.

All you need to eat healthfully with emphasis on vegetables and fruits is a crock pot, a good blender, oven and stove. A microwave can help. I also have a convection oven that can cook frozen salmon perfectly in 12 minutes. More than anything, I think the main factor in eating poorly is being hooked on stuff that tastes good but is bad for you.

14. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

So true...all of it!

We have a very chronically sick child for whom we decided to go organic to improve her odds of survival. Since then, everyone in the house has eaten better and less and we use the healthcare system a lot less than before we got off the processed slop. You're right, it takes more time and effort, but it's worth it once you realize that nothing's more important than what you put into your body (most of the time). We eat less partly because the damn food is so expensive, but also because you realize how the body works when you look into it. It makes a huge difference and you have to make the time for it. I'm not nearly afraid of dying as I am of getting sick.

We're not food fascists. We go for pizza and ice cream sometimes, Oreos are always available just because, and we eat out sometimes, but the home cooking is clean and as unprocessed as possible. Me and the wife still like a boilermaker or two once in a while.

15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

It would help if the gubmit didn't subsidize the crap food industry and the corn farmers.

16. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +766 / 14 / -6

#24 Jersey

US Welfare System - Help for US Citizens

That's a little under $17.00 a day for food - or $5.60 per family per meal - IF the family is getting the max allowed under federal guidelines - which most families are not getting.

So, let's say that your recipe that lasts you 4 meals will last a family of 4 for one meal.

Your meal would cost $3.47 for the "main dish," leaving this family of four a total of $2.13, or $.52 per person for anything else to accompany it.

I also hope this "family of four" on food stamps doesn't include any pre-teen or teenaged boys who could, if memory serves me correctly, eat the entire thing by themselves - and still be hungry.

When my 3 boys lived at home with me I'd make spaghetti - a pot of which consisted of a pound of hamburger, a pound of sausage, lots of spices (which are not cheap but last through a lot of spaghetti meals), 2 large onions, 3 green peppers, mushrooms, several large cans of tomatoes as well as fresh tomatoes chopped up and two boxes of angel hair pasta. Bread, margarine,low fat cottage cheese and a half gallon of 2% milk completed the meal.

There might have been enough left over for a midnight snack....maybe.

Even if I'd left out the hamburger and sausage it would have cost me far more than your $3.47 - and they would have left the table hungry.

17. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

Are we talking eating til "full" or eating til we are sustained? Seems like we are confusing the two.

A human could be sustained on far less than a quarter (you said you were cooking for 4) of what you listed above.

I did a shock diet a few years back; my daily caloric intake was 800 calories at the start (two week cycle). some combination of granola, rice cakes, kale, peanut butter, tofu, water and rice.

Depending on what sort of meat you would buy, the pound of Ground beef would have between 650 and 1500 calories by itself.

Then again, I grew up in Indonesia where a 2300 calorie a day intake is unheard of (at least for the "normal" folks). Your mileage may very.

EDIT: Please note I am not arguing for welfare people to survive on 800 cals a day. I am just simply asking if welfare is to be done as a means to sustain a person's nutritional needs or are we going with making sure everyone is full, which is clearly subjective.

18. Nunchucks

Nunchucks In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +248 / 19 / -7

Fat people cost us all money.

19. Drewski

Drewski In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +362 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

20. Tunescribe

Ratings:
    +2,264 / 15 / -23

#61 Jersey

This is huge. Why? Because cows are not built to properly digest feed corn which they are force-fed on factory farms. It's toxic to their systems. (Cows are natural grazers.) I saw a documentary about this and it essentially cured me of eating supermarket red meat. And you should see the nastiness that goes into slaughtering/processing pigs and chickens! Pigs are crushed to death, chickens are soaked in baths of ammonia. It's all about "product" vs. nutrition.