Welcome to PatsFans.com

Today in EPA News

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by shmessy, Jul 12, 2008.

1. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 12 / -16

#75 Jersey

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/washingtondc/la-na-greenhouse12-2008jul12,0,2024839.story

"The Bush administration Friday rejected its own experts' conclusion that global warming poses a threat to the public welfare, launching a comment period that will delay action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions at least until the next president takes office.

The Environmental Protection Agency published a 588-page examination of the issues surrounding greenhouse gases but refused to adopt its staff's finding that such gases could cause disastrous flooding and drought and affect food and water supplies.........

...............The impetus for federal action came from a Supreme Court decision in April 2007 that rebuked the administration and ruled that carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases were air pollutants subject to federal regulation under the Clean Air Act. If the EPA found they were a threat to the public, the court said, the agency was required to produce regulations to reduce the risk.

By not taking a stand on the health impact of the pollutants and seeking new public comment instead, the administration extended the period before the government can act beyond Jan. 20, 2009 -- when the next president will be inaugurated......

........In a draft of the document completed in May, EPA staff members concluded that regulations reducing greenhouse gas emissions could save $2 trillion through lowered gasoline costs and other benefits over 30 years. In the final document, that figure was slashed more than 50%, to $830 billion. The lower figure is based largely on an estimate that gasoline will cost $2 a gallon over the next three decades, less than half the current price."

.........and for some lighter fare, our Commander-in-Chief:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...odbye-from-the-world's-biggest-polluter'.html

"The American leader, who has been condemned throughout his presidency for failing to tackle climate change, ended a private meeting with the words: "Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter."

He then punched the air while grinning widely, as the rest of those present including Gordon Brown and Nicolas Sarkozy looked on in shock........

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Shrug. This isn't EPA news . . . this is "Bush has trouble knowing the right thing to say news"; which isn't news.

3. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,755 / 12 / -16

#75 Jersey

You didn't read the first link, evidently.

4. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +602 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Didn't see it, just saw the bottom one. As I've said 1,000 times before - there's enough people who claim to think MMGW is a problem that if THEY changed their lifestyles they could make the impact they're looking for while leaving those of us who don't believe it alone. Thankfully, religious people, another group who believe in a ghost that I don't, don't force me to go to church.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +450 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I have never wanted to lace up a pair of boxing gloves with any human being more than I do with mr Bush. I'll leave it at that.