Today: For All You Peter King haters

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmessy

Phoenix, AZ/Retired
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Fine Fifteen

1. New England (9-3). What a schedule over the next two months, of games scheduled and not (yet) scheduled. Tick ... tick ... tick.

2. Houston (11-1). Just seven days until Texans-Pats, Monday-nighter, Foxboro.

3. San Francisco (8-3-1). Just 13 days until Niners-Pats, Sunday-nighter, Foxboro.

4. Denver (9-3). Just 48 days until Broncos-Pats, AFC Championship Game, Foxboro.

5. Atlanta (11-1). Just 62 days until Falcons-Pats, Super Bowl XLVII, New Orleans.

(OK! I hear you! Time to stop the stupid Patriots schtick!)

Read More: Romeo Crennel, Brady Quinn discuss Chiefs' win after Jovan Belcher's murder-suicide - Peter King - SI.com

King is clearly trying to jinx the Pats... :rolleyes:

I generally enjoy King but I know he is pretty reviled by a lot of fans. Sometimes I think people focus too much on the things they don't like and not the complete body of work he produces which I think, like it or not, is colorful and well-done football commentary with the occasional genuine insight or bit of information.

However, it wouldn't be a Peter King column if he didn't manage to shoehorn in this little nugget on page 3

Mr. Starwood Preferred Member Travel Note of the Week
This is a San Antonio Spurs travel note, and a rebuke of the ridiculous $250,000 fine NBA commissioner David Stern gave. Before I get to that, notable $250,000 fines and above in the NFL this century:
• To Ray Lewis in 2001, for his obstruction-of-justice conviction in connection with a double-homicide in Atlanta.
• To the New England Patriots in 2007, for Spygate. (The team was docked a first-round pick, and Bill Belichick $500,000 for the scheme as well.)
• To Tennessee owner Bud Adams in 2009, for flipping both middle fingers at some taunting fans during a Titans game.

What I have found increasingly annoying about King is the breathless guess what I deciphered tone of his pieces that is largely the result of his own tendancy to be easily spun in any direction depending on who is servicing his spinner... He doesn't really know quite what he knows. Maybe that's why he largely writes about what he thinks he thinks based on having his finger consistently poised on checking which way the wind is blowing. Why it's scary is to have a bunch of guys much like him voting for awards ranging from HOF to MVP. They say fans are fairweather suckers for hype and biased spin...pot meet kettle. That said he's carved out quite the niche for himself. Half NFL insider and half travelogue writer and baseball toady. I believe it was on one of his recent sojourns to England to watch some other sports on his own nickle he became thoroughly enamored with the guys from PFF...and became their booster. As he became enamored with Florio the internet hack former lawyer turned rumor monger once NBC bought out PFT... He became quite enthralled with the locals during his brief residence in our fair city, and several of them got shots at national gigs due to his influence and his breathless impression of their caliber.

Peter is just too gosh darned impressionable for my tastes. Too easily talked into or out of his impressions...

King is clearly trying to jinx the Pats... :rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly! Just what we don't need...mediots hyping our SB chances.

But, I guess it's too much to ask that this team and this offense could stay under the radar screen much longer.

Peter is just too gosh darned impressionable for my tastes. Too easily talked into or out of his impressions...

You're too polite.

I'd put it as follows: King will suck up to whomever will enable him to keep his SI byline and his gigs on network TV. He puts his finger in the wind and then goes in the prevailing direction. "Impressionable" is one way of saying that; "This Headline for sale to the loudest voice" is another.

The CW now is to turn the next two weeks into the sagas of whether the Pats can beat Houston and SF on consecutive weeks and whether the Giants can be caught.

Last edited:
If they beat the Texans...they won't be under ANYONE'S Radar ! :rocker:

Fine Fifteen

1. New England (9-3). What a schedule over the next two months, of games scheduled and not (yet) scheduled. Tick ... tick ... tick.

2. Houston (11-1). Just seven days until Texans-Pats, Monday-nighter, Foxboro.

3. San Francisco (8-3-1). Just 13 days until Niners-Pats, Sunday-nighter, Foxboro.

4. Denver (9-3). Just 48 days until Broncos-Pats, AFC Championship Game, Foxboro.

5. Atlanta (11-1). Just 62 days until Falcons-Pats, Super Bowl XLVII, New Orleans.

(OK! I hear you! Time to stop the stupid Patriots schtick!)

Read More: Romeo Crennel, Brady Quinn discuss Chiefs' win after Jovan Belcher's murder-suicide - Peter King - SI.com

I don't get it, is King being sarcastic? Why's he mentioning the Patriots in every team's description, that's way over the top.

Anyways are there any matchups this year bigger than Houston-NE? Or NE-SF for that matter if NE wins? I don't believe I know of any.

:confused:
You're too polite.

I'd put it as follows: King will suck up to whomever will enable him to keep his SI byline and his gigs on network TV. He puts his finger in the wind and then goes in the prevailing direction. "Impressionable" is one way of saying that; "this space for sale to the loudest voice" is another.

The CW now is to turn the next two weeks into the sagas of whether the Pats can beat Houston and SF on consecutive weeks and whether the Giants can be caught.

he's got you writing about him- i'd say for an opinion writer that's a home run. why hate on someone who writes something you don't agree with? read it, don't read it, whatever-the man has a right to make a living and if someone is paying him for it, who are you to disagree?

:confused:

he's got you writing about him- i'd say for an opinion writer that's a home run. why hate on someone who writes something you don't agree with? read it, don't read it, whatever-the man has a right to make a living and if someone is paying him for it, who are you to disagree?

Who am I to disagree? Who are any of us to disagree?

So, we should all bow down and assent to whatever Peter King or John Clayton or Mike Reiss or any of a dozen other commentators say every week? This isn't brain surgery where there is a particular expertise required to take a serious view.

I've read hundreds of comments on this board over the years that are far more insightful and well-informed (and often better written) than the biased drivel that some of these paid experts put out.

Peter King is one of the better ones. But that doesn't mean I have to agree with what he writes and that I can't take the view that he is too inclined to play to his audience.

I reserve the right to disagree with anyone who wants to make money off of my clicks, off of the periodicals I choose to purchase or off of my TV viewing patterns. If you don't like that, just put me on Ignore.

Look, I don't hate peter King like some of the folks here do. I quite enjoy his MMQB - - he is like Larry King for Football - - he's a shmoozer who has great contacts. So he gets some terrific human interest stories that others just can't access. I like that for what it is.

Do I read him for football analysis? No.

For that, I read DAN SHAUGHNESSY!!!!!!! :D

Although I scan through King's MMQB every week for Pats' related stuff and sometimes quote him here, I find King a bore. He talks about superstar players like a high school cheerleader who has a crush on the captain of the football team. He injects his moral self-righteousness too much in his columns. He writes about trivial BS that has nothing to do with football like his kid, coffee, and the Red Sox. Even after decades of covering the NFL, his football analysis is pedestrian at best.

I actually hate him more when he kisses the Patriots' arses than when he blasts them.

Look, I don't hate peter King like some of the folks here do. I quite enjoy his MMQB - - he is like Larry King for Football - - he's a shmoozer who has great contacts. So he gets some terrific human interest stories that others just can't access. I like that for what it is.

Do I read him for football analysis? No.

For that, I read DAN SHAUGHNESSY!!!!!!! :D

I will say his coverage of the KC tragedy in his column was solid today, but those are the type of stories he excels at. Unfortunately, he fails when it is about talking about actual football related stuff.

Peter Queen CAN NOT BE TRUSTED!

Ha! And I thought that Peter King was one of those things that Americans liked but I would never get why -- like squash and cranberry pizza topping or peppermint mocha. Seems I was wrong. :)

Peter King has been around for decades...familiarity breeds contempt...he's written reams of quality sports stories...he's also under contract to come up with angles and new takes on a constant basis...this leads to some poorly researched or kneejerk hit pieces here and there...I prefer to hate the particular column not the author...now Jason Whitlock?...he's another story....

My issue with King is that I feel he lacks depth. He tends to be very simple minded and offers little beyond the obvious.

I also thought he did a TERRIBLE job covering Spygate, although I now realize that was because he is incapable of seeing things beyond the surface.

I think I was just disappointed b/c I expected more from him based on how he's featured in mainstream media. I guess it doesn't take much talent or professional pride to climb the ladder as a sports journalist. It's a shame. Sports fans deserve better.

I've given my opinion on him before here: His MMQB column during the NFL season reads like what I imagine an early teen's diary would. So and so texted me this, I like this coffee this week, Bill Belichick still won't talk to me and I'll use my column to wonder why even though I KNOW it's because of the hatchet job I did on him for a month after Spygate.

It gets old because week after week he sounds like he feels honored that the players would even talk to him. Does he have good contacts? You bet. But I would imagine that's because people know whatever line they feed him will be reported as stone cold fact. Which I imagine was his line of thinking with Spygate all along "If I report all this stuff everyone around the league is saying about Belichick, he'll come and give ME the exclusive about his side of it...I mean for the love of God, I'm Monday Morning Quarterback author Peter King!!" Just Belichick never did, and hence Peter is still butthurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots