PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TO vs. Moss by Champ Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moss may be faster, but if he is, the difference is hardly worth debating.

Both have run 40 times in the 4.3ish range, and I know for a fact that TO ran the 100 yard in 9.02 seconds...a time that's right there with the current world record holder.

Terrell Owens' 100 yard dash time at the 2001 Superstars competition was 9.02 which is world class speed. Theoretically he should be in the 4.2 range for the first 40 yards of that and no less than 4.3 for the first 40 yards. If it was any less than 4.3 he would have set a world record for speed in the last 60 yards which is unlikely.

Last edited:
No mention of how many passes TO drops? That one last week should've lost them the game. I won't mention last year since TO had a hurt hand but I'd take Moss any day of the week.

The relationship between what Champ Bailey says about active players when a reporter is writing it down and what he would tell you confidentially if he were in your living room is probably negligible.

I'm sure Champ gave it a shot here, but I have no doubt that this doesn't have much to do with what he really thinks about these two players and how they compare. Or, if it does, it's only a very modest part of the story. He sounds like a guy who found good things to say about each. It doesn't mean diddly.

The relationship between what Champ Bailey says about active players when a reporter is writing it down and what he would tell you confidentially if he were in your living room is probably negligible.

I'm sure Champ gave it a shot here, but I have no doubt that this doesn't have much to do with what he really thinks about these two players and how they compare. Or, if it does, it's only a very modest part of the story. He sounds like a guy who found good things to say about each. It doesn't mean diddly.

This is called being in denial. The best CB in the league rated each guy in 6 categories and stated who he gives the advantage to in each category. There's no other logical read of it. Everything that was written in the comparison was attributed to Champ. That means just a little more than diddley and Champ's opinions on this subject carry much more weight than what you or anyone else here think.

Last edited:
No mention of how many passes TO drops?

Did you read the article?

"Catching The Ball" is one of the categories (a category that obviously covers drops) and Moss got the nod there.

they should maybe ask Champ bailey about Dallas Clark cuz Clark was abusing Champ like he was rental car.

I don't know who is faster TO or Moss but, I do know that Ben Watson is faster than Champ Bailey. :D

The only thing I have to add is that I'd like to point out that Andre Johnson was included in the top 6.

Many here, and elsewhere, have appreciated his talent. Perhaps there will be a time when to seeks to discontinue languishing in Houston...

they should maybe ask Champ bailey about Dallas Clark cuz Clark was abusing Champ like he was rental car.

Funny since every team in the league would kill to have Champ Bailey on their side, including the Pats.

Last edited:
Randy does his talking on the field....TO is a media whore.

Advantage - Moss

Randy does his talking on the field....TO is a media whore.

Advantage - Moss

ha ha, yeah, I read this quote about him...

"We're playing for fun. Players are playing great, the offensive coordinator is calling great plays. They're moving me around. (Jason) Witten is catching big gains and I'm taking away the coverage"

at

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3054815

...and I just can't help but think he had to get the 'me/my/I' contribute to the team this way. I think the media is the gas that fuels Owens and his antics so to some degree they are partly responsible. But he is really a 'me' player. I understand his size and speed but without the ball he is just that, size and speed. I never got him nor ever will nor do I ever want to.

He is the epitome of what the NEP are not.

Last edited:

Both have run 40 times in the 4.3ish range, and I know for a fact that TO ran the 100 yard in 9.02 seconds...a time that's right there with the current world record holder.

This is a good conversation, but any sprinter will tell you: the difference between running a 9.02 and running an 8.77 is the difference between your local college's baseball team, and the 1998 NY Yankees. Sure, guys with a lot of training and focus can do well, and the low 9's is a hell of a time (my personal best was around a 9.5 when i did track), but 8.77 is as close to perfection as humanly possible.

Now back to your Moss-vs-TO debate. Personally, I'm inclined to believe that right now, TO is in fact faster than Moss. Watching Dallas on monday night, Owens seemed to always be open by several yards and it was only his poor catching ability that prevented him from leading Dallas to the comeback long beforehand. I'd still rather have Moss, for teammate reasons, intelligence reasons, and hands - but give TO his due.

Interesting discussion...but Idon't think we can read too much into that 9.02 that T.O. ran. While that would indicate that he has world record-speed, Donovan Bailey/Maurice Greene speed, I think that the circumstances under which the athletes in Jamaica were being timed were not the strictest. Wasn't it hand-timed, like other NFL events?

Is he fast? Yes, he is super-fast....but putting him into the upper echelon of tracksters isn't necessary. Bo Jackson was close, though...

Moss has run in the 4.2 range, but he's recently run in the 4.3 range... not bad for a 30 year old huh?

Last edited:
Wow...people arent only debating who is faster between Randy Moss and Terrell Owens but some of you actually think TO is faster. I'm a Vikes fan..I know Moss..I also know TO because I'm an NFC guy. I'll say it as clearly as possible..there is NO WAY Owens is faster, and even though I dont think those 100 yard timings are true...it doesnt even matter because TO has never sniffed the 40 readings that Moss has given. As Pats fans, just ask yourself this...do you think TO would've been able to create the seperation Randy Moxs created on the 50 yard TD against the Jets??

As Pats fans, just ask yourself this...do you think TO would've been able to create the seperation Randy Moxs created on the 50 yard TD against the Jets??

What Pats fan is going to go against their player if it's a close call? Of course everyone is going to say Moss, he plays for the Pats.

I can't see how anyone would compare the two. Really. Moss catches balls, T.O. drops them. Without the ball you can run up and down the field all you want, but it won't mean crap.

1. Catch the ball

...then other factors come into play. Actually, I would rather through to Vrabel in the endzone than T.O., and I can say that very confidently.

...unless T.O. cathes the ball, he IS overrated.

Owens drops balls - lots of balls.

You don't have to be much of a corner to stop him on those plays do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes