PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TO tried to commit suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegs

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just heard it on Mike and Mike 10 mins ago.

According to some Dallas news people, TO tried to kill himself by eating a handful of pills and was taken to the emergency room where they induced vomiting.

According to the team, it was an "allergic reaction" to pain medication.

I would be shocked if this was the case.

Wow, I guess money really doesn't buy happiness...

DEION!

TeamPats said:
Is this for real?
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2604395

"DALLAS -- Flamboyant Dallas Cowboys receiver Terrell Owens attempted suicide by overdosing on pain medication, even putting two more pills into his mouth after fire rescue personnel arrived.

A Dallas police report released Wednesday morning said Owens told rescue workers "that he was depressed." The report was first released by WFAA-TV.

The rescue worker "noticed that [his] prescription pain medication was empty and observed [Owens] putting two pills in his mouth,'' the police report said.

The worker attempted to pry them out with her fingers, then was told by Owens that before this incident he'd taken only five of the 40 pain pills in the bottle he'd emptied. The worker then asked Owens "if he was attempting to harm himself, at which time [he] stated, 'Yes.'"

There's more, that's a piece.

Very sad that someone who should have everything going for him in his life is always so unhappy. Dallas should set him up with the best shrink they can find and make sure he sees him on a daily basis. What has always struck me about TO in all his media circuses is that he seems to be alone in this world.

Confirming everyone's thoughts, he really is messed up in the head. As much as I dislike him, this ain't football. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and hope he gets the help he needs.

I think we should all take a moment and pray for him.

QB12

Yeah it just does not look like anyone can relate to him.

I'll never understand how someone living that life, playing that game, and making that money can be depressed.

AND bad enough to want to kill themselves or at least let people know that they are thinking about it with an attempt.

This just shows there is so much to T.O. and the life of an nfl player that we don't get....

Or t.o. is just in real bad shape.

Keegs said:
I'll never understand how someone living that life, playing that game, and making that money can be depressed.
Whether he REALLY tried or just desperately wants the attention, who knows. I'd better on the latter myself as he'd only taken 5 of the pills before the rescue workers got there - plus did he call for help himself ?

BelichickFan said:
Whether he REALLY tried or just desperately wants the attention, who knows. I'd better on the latter myself as he'd only taken 5 of the pills before the rescue workers got there - plus did he call for help himself ?
The way I read it was that it was an EMPTY bottle that previously contained 40 pills.. before the incident he had only taken 5, which means he tried to OD on 35 pills. :eek: Am I misreading that?

I thought I read that he was asked what he took and it was only 5 pills (before the attempt)......

then that he took the rest of the bottle to try and kill himself (that would be 35).

I might have read it completely wrong tho.

Plus, I bleieve it was not a serious attempt and for attention. If someone really wanted to kill themselves and hated their life that much, i couldn't see why they would risk the chance of getting interrupted or saved.

However, its a really troubling situation. And all logic probably goes out the window when you are trying to take your own life or even thinking about it

I'm sure many people have considered it, tried it, then changed their mind after the fact and called for help. I could easily see these people as being labeled as "doing it for attention" or a cry for help.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
The way I read it was that it was an EMPTY bottle that previously contained 40 pills.. before the incident he had only taken 5, which means he tried to OD on 35 pills. :eek: Am I misreading that?
thats the way i read it.
besides, unless he was allergic, 5 pills wouldn't kill him.

i hope and pray he is well but his past reputation of being an attention monger will come up..as in..why did he try to put more pills when the people to rescue were there or..if he really wanted to commit suicide why do in front of publicist etc who were there..again i pray he is well but its amazing that he is always in the news one way or another...

T-ShirtDynasty said:
No you aren't misreading it. The article is definitely vague but that was the impression I got. Now whether or not it's true is a whole other story but the article definitely implies he took 35 pills. But he did it in the presence of a girl (girlfriend?) which signals a cry for help not a real suicide attempt. If he really wanted to kill himself, he would have done it while alone.

QuiGon said:
No you aren't misreading it. The article is definitely vague but that was the impression I got. Now whether or not it's true is a whole other story but the article definitely implies he took 35 pills. But he did it in the presence of a girl (girlfriend?) which signals a cry for help not a real suicide attempt. If he really wanted to kill himself, he would have done it while alone.
agreed. :confused:

Keegs said:

It's amazing that with all science understands about depression, people still say things like this. There are certainly people who have moods and "feel bad" and stuff like that, but that has nothing to do with clinical depression.

It's a disease. Like asthma or hypothyroidism. It's hard to think of when it's the brain, but many with depression simply don't have the same chemicals, or the right balance of chemicals, in their brains a you and I do. No amount of money, fame, or anything else -- other than medicine -- is going to change that.

If TO has this awful disease, and it's hard to believe he does not if these reports are true, he's really suffering, just as if he had something that people tend to regard as more "real" diseases.

Not a psychiatrist, but it sure sounds like the guy has bipolar mental disorder. The manic behavior which we have all seen too many times, now the depressive side, are pretty clear signs. This is very treatable. Maybe he's lucky he's "come out" with it and now they can get on with treatment.

Edit, PatsfaninAZ, you beat me to it, and I agree it's not something you tell TO to "snap out of". If it's what we think, it's a medication treatment process to, if not correct, at least stabilize the chemical imbalance in his brain.

Last edited:
T-ShirtDynasty said:
You could be right, I don't know. But we all have people who need our thoughts and prayers more than some overpaid crybaby like Owens. I hope he finds what he's looking for but I'm not going to waste and of my time worry about him or praying for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes