Welcome to PatsFans.com

To those blaming Kraft for ref lockout:holdouts were Jerry Richardson, Woody Johnson

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Avenger, Sep 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +79 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

2. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -3

#37 Jersey

3. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +79 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

re: To those blaming Kraft for ref lockout:holdouts were Jerry Richardson, Woody Johnson

A lot of people on here were saying that he was responsible. Same people who always say Kraft is cheap.
  4. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

re: To those blaming Kraft for ref lockout:holdouts were Jerry Richardson, Woody Johnson

No, they weren't.

And Kraft wanted them back after his own experience Monday. He wasn't one of the union busting hardliners but he was one of the moderates who still backed taking it as far as they had to in order to get most of what they wanted. It's called being a smart businessman.
  5. Avenger

Avenger Rookie

Ratings:
    +79 / 4 / -1

#11 Jersey

Bledsoe said he was working to get the refs back even before Sunday.
  6. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +377 / 5 / -2

#51 Jersey

The owners, the NFL administration and the NFLRA had the entire offseason to work to get the refs back.
  7. Armchair Quarterback

Armchair Quarterback Rookie

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -3

#37 Jersey

Drew must have had a busy week, first writing his Hall of Fame acceptance speech, then getting the refs back. I hope his winery doesn't suffer.
  8. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

You often dont get either side to move much until they have to.
  9. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +228 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

I don't recall reading any posts like that. :confused:
  10. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +377 / 5 / -2

#51 Jersey

Which is precisely why I find it amusing that Goodell is being singled out as the villain.
  11. cmasspatsfan

cmasspatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The only people I heard say that was Felger and his opinion really doesnt mean a lot to me, although, apparently it does to a lot of other people.

Media Roundup: Is Mike Felger Dictating Local Patriots Coverage? - SB Nation Boston
  12. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

I've read most of the threads on this and I don't recall that.
  13. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

Not surprising that it was Kraft and Mara who tipped the balance to sanity. Also not surprising that Woody Johnson was leading the charge on the other side; he's a spoiled rich kid who bought a big toy called an NFL Franchise with his family's money even though he'd never run anything in his life but a gold plated Choo-Choo train as a child.
  14. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +785 / 4 / -5

#75 Jersey

Woody Johnson is a real-life Little Lord Fauntleroy. Look him up, he has never accomplished anything on his own. Just 3 years after Kraft bought the Patriots for $172 million, Fauntleroy bought the Jets for $635 million. According to the 2012 Forbes list, the Patriots are now worth over $350 million more than the Jets. The Jets play in the most populous and wealthiest metroplis in the nation in a stadium within eyesight of Manhattan. The Patriots play in a highway wasteland somewhere near the Rhode Island border.

Jerry Richardson is a TRUE penny pincher who is hated by his fan base. He was the pre-eminent anti-player owner during the 2011 crisis.

Every crisis in the NFL for the past decade plus has seen the Fauntleroys and Richardsons on one side and the Maras, Krafts and Rooneys on the other.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  15. Reckedtrek

Reckedtrek Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Foxboro is God's country, my good man! No more beautiful site on an early Sunday fall morning!
  16. rlcarr

rlcarr PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

Which is intriguing since IIRC he's the only owner (other than Elway, now) who was a player.
  17. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

well stated. the nfl is fortunate to have a critical mass of owners in key markets who are smart business folks along with another critical mass of long time owners who value the game like the Mara's and Rooney's. It might be messy, as in the recent CBA and the Officials' lockout, but in the end they prevail on most important issues.

while, like many people, I wish that the city of Boston had had the political will and class to figure out how to build a stadium for the Pats, I take exception to your comment on the Foxboro area. It's very close to some of the best towns and school districts in the Country (I used to live in one of them). It means that players and coaches who aren't earning mega bucks can live in nice houses in good school districts without paying Boston area prices and get to the "office" in 15 or 20 minutes (except, of course, on game day when they had better leave early).
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  18. PatsDeb

PatsDeb PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -1

I don't know anyone who blamed Kraft for the ref debacle. My knowledge of his business style is that he is willing to pay to keep things moving and offer a top product (in his own interest of course, so he can keep raking it in). I imagine he was one of the ones calling Roger Goodell and the NFL on the carpet Tuesday morning, not down there with him.
  19. PP2

PP2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +228 / 3 / -3

#12 Jersey

That's very offensive.
  20. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +94 / 3 / -1

Yeah. If you've ever driven past the Meadowlands (what a euphemism! There hasn't been a "meadow" in that part of New Jersey since George Washington rode down the Boston Post Road to cross the Delaware) in the midst of Oil Refineries and railroad yards, you know how superior a location Foxborough is!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.