To the Ravens Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Dear H8R, Decleetz52, Flynismo, BaltimoreFan06, and all the rest:

Great game. Amazing game. Truly a playoff caliber game in early October, in terms of both intensity and level of play. I think the better team won today, but neither team is better by very much. Congratulations on a terrific performance by a terrific team, despite the result being in our favor.

Some thoughts:

1. I really wasn't sure coming in to this game if Baltimore was a championship caliber team. I am now. Your team is the real deal. It is far and away the most balanced and complete Ravens team I have ever seen - not as dominant defensively as some of the past teams, but much better overall. I would have to say that out of our top AFC competitors (Steelers, Colts, Chargers and you guys; the Jets still need to prove they belong there) you are by far the most complete team. I would say that only the Pats and the Giants are as complete.

2. More than anything I was impressed with how professional this Ravens team was. The change from late 2007 is stunning. Harbaugh has brought tremendous professionalism and consistency to the team. There was no wasted effort on trash and no stupid penalties, just 60 minutes of intense football. Kudos to your organization and team for turning itself around.

3. Joe Flacco is the real deal. I've been a big Matt Ryan fan, but so far Flacco was by far the best QB we've faced this year, and looks like he is a potential future perennial pro bowler. Tremendous performance in a high pressure game.

4. I hope Jared Gaither is ok. Hopefully it's just a stinger. You hate to see any player go down. Obviously that was a big loss for you. I hope it's short term. One of the things to learn in becoming a top team is to deal with the injuries and still find a way to win, as we've had to do without Mayo and with other players out for key games (Welker, Wilfork).

Your team pushed us to the wall. I have nothing but respect for how they played. I said earlier in the week that we have a lot more speed and athleticism on defense than we used to have, and I think that's what saved us (barely) in the end. But you certainly played well enough to win.

I hope you guys crush Pittsburgh twice and that we meet in the AFCCG. That would be a good one.

You've been great posters all week, and the game lived up to expectations. Build on this, and we will hopefully meet again this season.

Vade in pacem,

MC

Agreed, especially re: the Balt. fans that were here this week. Great crowd- lots of information put out there, very little trash talk. Pretty much ideal, and a welcome change from the endless parade of defects that come trolling through here on a weekly basis. Hoping to hear some good news about Gaither in the next day or two.

Last edited:
Great Post. I agree. Joe Flacco is the real deal. I really like the way he plays the game. He really impressed me.

I hope you guys crush Pittsburgh three times

Fixed.

I appreciate the sentiment in your post, as I'm sure most other Ravens fans will.

I think that the officiating was pretty absurdly tilted in favor of New England, but we still had the opportunity to win the game with under 30 seconds left, so I'm not going to say that the calls were what ultimately decided the game.

Our CBs straight-up blow hard, and that concerns me as they're pretty much the only weakness on the entire team, but against quality quarterbacks like Brady/Rivers, they literally do nothing at all.

It's obvious that Brady/Welker/Moss and co. will eventually click on all cylinders, and that offense will be elite.

However, to be quite honest, although the defense shows some promise for the future, they are far from top-tier in 2009. That being said, they're probably "good enough" to win a Super Bowl as your offense is absurdly potent. Maybe I'm just underrating our offense, though.

Edit - I'm actually a bit torn on the Pats' D as the Ravens ran up and down the field on New England, but the Patriots were able to keep Baltimore out of the endzone, and their schemes did look good sans the final drive. Again, maybe I'm underrating Baltimore's offense.

Eh, this still hurts, but considering that we haven't lost more than two games in the past eight months or so, I think we can build from this.

Great game, and I'm confident that we'll either see you, or Indianapolis again.

Last edited:
Joe Flacco is for real, Baltimore is a very good team that could have won today...good luck except if we meet again.

To the Ravens fan i meet and gave my issue of "The Economist" to read on the flight to Hartford if you see this......good luck unless we see you again.

Last edited:
Agreed on all points. Flacco has really impressed me, and he doesn't have a true #1 WR yet. The team's composure on that last drive in hostile territory with the game on the line was amazing, full credit to coach Harbaugh and Flacco and the entire team for a great game.

And the Ravens posters were really great this week, thanks for sharing your insights on your team. I learned a lot.

Fixed.

I appreciate the sentiment in your post, as I'm sure most other Ravens fans will.

I think that the officiating was pretty absurdly tilted in favor of New England, but we still had the opportunity to win the game with under 30 seconds left, so I'm not going to say that the calls were what ultimately decided the game.

Our CBs straight-up blow hard, and that concerns me as they're pretty much the only weakness on the entire team, but against quality quarterbacks like Brady/Rivers, they literally do nothing at all.

It's obvious that Brady/Welker/Moss and co. will eventually click on all cylinders, and that offense will be elite.

However, to be quite honest, although the defense shows some promise for the future, they are far from top-tier in 2009. That being said, they're probably "good enough" to win a Super Bowl as your offense is absurdly potent. Maybe I'm just underrating our offense, though.

Eh, this still hurts, but considering that we haven't lost more than two games in the past eight months or so, I think we can build from this.

Great game, and I'm confident that we'll either see you, or Indianapolis again.

Not sure about the officiating. I missed parts of the first half. Usually both sides feel they've been robbed. I will say that I didn't think we got the first down on the 4th down fake field goal pass. That seemed like a generous call for us, and certainly a crucial one. I'm not sure I saw any others that were blatant though.

Not sure about the officiating. I missed parts of the first half. Usually both sides feel they've been robbed. I will say that I didn't think we got the first down on the 4th down fake field goal pass. That seemed like a generous call for us, and certainly a crucial one. I'm not sure I saw any others that were blatant though.

The two roughing the passers were pretty ridiculous in my mind.

The first was just a bit ticky-tacky, but the PF on Suggs was absurd. The referees were basically judging Terrell's intent as he never actually touched the quarterback, and, without trying to sound bitter, if it hadn't been Tom Brady, the superstar quarterback who had previously suffered a knee injury, I'm not sure the flag would have been thrown.

Last edited:

The first was just a bit ticky-tacky, but the PF on Suggs was absurd.

It was the same play that took Brady out last year. That's the new rule. it was a good call.

The first was just a bit ticky-tacky, but the PF on Suggs was absurd.

Did you not listen to the announcers? Any contact with the head is a flag which would explain the first one. Also Flacco got a "ticky-tacky" one there too for "blow to the head". The Suggs play was called because it was a hit below the knees. So you can think they were BS calls, but they were the CORRECT calls. For the record, I'm not a fan of all these new rules.

The first was just a bit ticky-tacky, but the PF on Suggs was absurd. The referees were basically judging Terrell's intent as he never actually touched the quarterback, and, without trying to sound bitter, if it hadn't been Tom Brady, the superstar quarterback who had previously suffered a knee injury, I'm not sure the flag would have been thrown.

And the one on Wright was just as ticky tacky; the knife cuts both ways.

That said, these new rules are pathetic, might as well put a red no contact jersey on the Qb's.

And no, you don't sound bitter at all..............

Last edited:

suggs went for brady's knee. everyone knows that's a penalty now. in fact, suggs should be suspended if there was any intent on his part to go for tom's knee.

i won't be as gracious as you all are to some of the ravens fans who were talking smack. the vaunted baltimore D to me looks overrated. john harbaugh is nothing but a whiner. with that said, i still think baltimore is a good team but not the best in the AFC.

And the one on Wright was just as ticky tacky; the knife cuts both ways.

And no, you don't sound bitter at all..............

I think it's easy to forget that the same call was made for the ravens because they are focusing so much the ones called on their D

Nice to hear from Fans with a touch of class which we don't see much from
Squellers fans.
We may meet again in the playoffs.
Good luck to you Ravens fans.

Did you not listen to the announcers? Any contact with the head is a flag which would explain the first one. Also Flacco got a "ticky-tacky" one there too for "blow to the head". The Suggs play was called because it was a hit below the knees.

Right, I called the first roughing the passer "ticky-tacky" because although it was the "correct" call, it was pretty much incidental contact with the player lunging at Brady as he was throwing.

The second personal foul on Suggs, however, shouldn't have been called because he never actually touched Brady, period.

Mason was called for a ridiculous pushoff, and Carr was called for holding on Welker, and neither of those calls were really even close to being correct.

My opinion on the officiating isn't going to mean much on this board as I clearly bring in a bias, but I'm honestly be as objective as possible when I say that this was a horribly officiated game.

Flacco's called personal foul was the most blatant of the three, but I agree, his hit was also iffy as the fingers barely grazed his face.

Last edited:
Dear H8R, Decleetz52, Flynismo, BaltimoreFan06, and all the rest:

Great game. Amazing game. Truly a playoff caliber game in early October, in terms of both intensity and level of play. I think the better team won today, but neither team is better by very much. Congratulations on a terrific performance by a terrific team, despite the result being in our favor.

Some thoughts:

1. I really wasn't sure coming in to this game if Baltimore was a championship caliber team. I am now. Your team is the real deal. It is far and away the most balanced and complete Ravens team I have ever seen - not as dominant defensively as some of the past teams, but much better overall. I would have to say that out of our top AFC competitors (Steelers, Colts, Chargers and you guys; the Jets still need to prove they belong there) you are by far the most complete team. I would say that only the Pats and the Giants are as complete.

2. More than anything I was impressed with how professional this Ravens team was. The change from late 2007 is stunning. Harbaugh has brought tremendous professionalism and consistency to the team. There was no wasted effort on trash and no stupid penalties, just 60 minutes of intense football. Kudos to your organization and team for turning itself around.

3. Joe Flacco is the real deal. I've been a big Matt Ryan fan, but so far Flacco was by far the best QB we've faced this year, and looks like he is a potential future perennial pro bowler. Tremendous performance in a high pressure game.

4. I hope Jared Gaither is ok. Hopefully it's just a stinger. You hate to see any player go down. Obviously that was a big loss for you. I hope it's short term. One of the things to learn in becoming a top team is to deal with the injuries and still find a way to win, as we've had to do without Mayo and with other players out for key games (Welker, Wilfork).

Your team pushed us to the wall. I have nothing but respect for how they played. I said earlier in the week that we have a lot more speed and athleticism on defense than we used to have, and I think that's what saved us (barely) in the end. But you certainly played well enough to win.

I hope you guys crush Pittsburgh twice and that we meet in the AFCCG. That would be a good one.

You've been great posters all week, and the game lived up to expectations. Build on this, and we will hopefully meet again this season.

Vade in pacem,

MC

QFT.

Great post. Very impressed by the Ravens today - do I not want to see them again this season.

I think the 15 yarder on Harbaugh was pretty ridiculous, and it's fair to question whether or not the Pats got the first down on the fake-FG penalty, but the Pats could easily have gotten a few more blatant holding calls, just for starters. Not crying wolf, because that's how football works sometimes the calls go your way, sometimes they don't, and it rarely changes the outcome of the game (definitely didn't today).

the personal foul on Suggs was absolutely legit. It was correctly called, whether you like it or not. It's the same penalty that's been incorrectly called on the Pats a couple of times in potential game-changing situations, so I understand how frustrating it is, but if Brady doesn't have the the alertness to get out of the way, that's a career-threatening hit on a defenseless player. There were some bad calls today, sure, but that definitely wasn't one of them.

FWIW I thought the call on Wright was a pretty clear one too. May not have looked like much, but that's absolutely a penalty, and for good reason.

Last edited:
I was a BIG Flacco fan last year. Started off wondering if he was Flaccid Flacco but he proved that he could play. Better QB this year.

Again, I'm not saying that the calls decided the game as we had the opportunity to win with less than 30 seconds remaining, but I just couldn't believe some of the calls.

The referees clearly couldn't keep up with the speed of the game, and although bad calls went both ways, they undboutedly flagged the Ravens more.

Anyway, all this talk of penalties is pointless considering Clayton has brick hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes