Welcome to PatsFans.com

To the people of Boston

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Wilfork#75, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wilfork#75

Wilfork#75 Rookie

Ratings:
    +90 / 5 / -1

#75 Jersey

Mods, feel free to move or close this thread if necessary. I just wanted to get this off my chest and I wasn't sure where to put it. I know its a day late and a lot of you are probably sleeping, but this was my first chance to post.

I am not American and I have never been to Boston. My connection to the City is through its sports teams and its fans. As a fan I have been lucky enough to witness Super Bowl Championships, World Series Victories and NBA Championships. I can honestly say that yesterday I had never felt more proud to call myself a Boston Sports fan. Its wasn't because of the teams, the players or the success, it was because of the City and the people they represent.

Just like New York after 9/11, we have seen the strength, courage, resilience and unbreakable spirit of the people of Boston. To see people taking in complete strangers off the street and giving them a bed to sleep in when they had no where else to go. People taking in pets of those who didn't have the ability to care for them. And the first responders who showed unbelievable bravery to run towards the chaos as people fled for safety. I would like to be able to say I would do the same in that situation, but to be honest I don't know if I could. That is what makes these people special. I think the word hero gets thrown around way too often, especially in sport, but those people certainly are heroes.

They say to see the good in a bad situation to look for the helpers. In a horrendous situation I think the world has seen the best of the Boston people. I just wanted to say to all of my brothers and sisters in Boston and around the world, I love you guys. Be safe and God bless.

Go Pats!
  2. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 1 / -0

Perfectly put. Thanks for the good thoughts. As a displaced New Englander living in Staten Island, I have never been prouder to wear my colors.
  3. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Mods- if inappropriate, feel free to move/delete but I don't believe it's political. I posted this 4 years ago but it seems the right time to dust it off again in light of yesterday's events.....
    I was in NYC on the first anniversary of that horrible day and put pen to paper...
    ----------------------------------
    I Refuse to Live in Fear..

[FONT=&quot]I refuse to live in fear.
    I am an American.
    I will travel whenever I want in this great land of ours
    undeterred by the threats of others.
    I will take my children to our treasured landmarks
    and historical sites.
    I will not retreat from an adventuresome journey
    because of others with a disdain for our way of life.
    It is the legacy of our forefathers who shed their blood
    on battlefields throughout the world to protect
    our democratic institutions.
    I will show my children this country in all its majesty,
    from the beauty of a Pacific sunset to the bright lights of Broadway
    to the beacon held high by Lady Liberty.
    I will show them Ellis Island,
    the gateway to a new world with the hopes and dreams of millions.
    This nation was forged by an amalgam of spirited people
    who believed in self-determination.
    I will not bow to those who challenge that notion.
    It dishonors the memory of those who have gone before me.
    I refuse to let the actions of a few destroy my will.
    I will show my children the monuments to our Presidents
    who persevered in times of crisis and triumphed over evil.
    I will show them Arlington National Cemetery
    and the graves of those who fell in the defense of freedom.
    I will show them a field in the rolling hills of Western Pennsylvania
    Where citizen soldiers fought back
    and gave their lives in the latest struggle.
    I have seen the horrors of that fateful day.
    I have watched as flags ruffled in the breeze unbowed
    as the smoke rose from the ashes.
    Its pungent odor and acrid smell did not destroy our spirit.
    I have heard the countless untold stories of heroism
    that will stay with me forever.
    To live timidly disgraces their honor.
    I will keep that dream alive.
    I refuse to live in fear.
    I am an American.

MKK 9/11/02[/FONT]
  4. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +92 / 1 / -1

Nice thread.

I'm wearing my Red Sox cap with its big, red "B" on the streets of Manhattan this week.

Solidarity.

[Note to Mods: as long as this doesn't degenerate into a political debate, as hopefully it will not, please leave this Thread on the main board.]
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,368 / 26 / -47

No Jersey Selected

It's funny, isn't it? When you see something that horrific happen, you begin to lose faith in humanity. Just when you begin to lose faith, you see a bunch of strangers scrambling toward the scene, tearing the fences down, and helping get complete strangers to safety. Suddenly, in the same moment, you begin to re-gain your faith.
  6. harrylime70

harrylime70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

From another Aussie who loves the city of Boston..My thoughts go out to all of you over there right now. Take care, hug your loved ones and be safe.
  7. manxman2601

manxman2601 On the Roster

Ratings:
    +384 / 7 / -1

#24 Jersey

8. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Good stuff

I am a bit similar to you in the fact that I have never lived in or near Boston and have never even visited the city in my life or any part of New England area,but I was and am still a strong supporter of Boston sports,namely a big fan of the Pats and Celtics for over 35 years and I follow the Revolution as well.

I have lived on PA my whole life but have always thought that Massachusettes was full of special people and I couldn't have been more prouder of how they took what was supposed to be a joyous event into a massacre almost immediately and handled it beyond expectations.

My heartfelt thanks to all the EMS and Hospital workers who were not expecting such horror,but took quick action almost at the snap of a finger and has saved lives because of their heroic deeds a d professionalism....I cannot express my gratitude any better than just to say a huge THANK YOU!

God Bless Boston and its people,we love you here in PA.
  9. Onedaful

Onedaful PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

"I don't know what's going to be revealed to be behind all of this mayhem. One human insect or a poisonous mass of broken sociopaths," he wrote. "But here's what I DO know. If it's one person or a HUNDRED people, that number is not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of the population on this planet. So when you spot violence, or bigotry, or intolerance or fear or just garden-variety misogyny, hatred or ignorance, just look it in the eye and think, 'The good outnumber you, and we always will.'"

Stay strong we love you guys.
  10. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +582 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

This thread will not be moved or closed.

Thank you from the bottom of all of our hearts, Wilfork #75 and all our brothers and sisters around the world and around the country.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  11. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +582 / 1 / -3

#75 Jersey

While I no longer live in the Boston area, I grew up there and lived the first 22 years of my life there.

My family still lives in Newton. Each and every year, we would go spread out a blanket across from Boston College - - right after the crest of the last of the three "Heartbreak Hills" in Newton and cheer on the runners - - from the lead pack around 1:45-2pm (they all started at noon in those days) until around 5pm (we always waited for Old Johnny Kelly to come by before we even thought of leaving).

It was (and IS), as some writer in the Globe put it today, Boston's High Holiday.

A greater celebration of the Human Spirit in remembrance and practice I do not know. From the reenactments of the American Revolution, to the celebration of international diversity and full-armed welcome to all nations that is the Marathon. EVERY runner is cheered. EVERY runner is pulled for. EVER runner is cared for. EVERY runner is seen as a brother or sister or son or daughter to those on the sidelines. Growing up, seeing that, feeling that, had a giant impact on how I look at the world today.

The fact that .01% of our human species wants to violently destroy THAT? Still doesn't take any wonder and grattitude away from me for the other 99.99%.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  12. scott99

scott99 Rookie

Ratings:
    +125 / 68 / -57

#87 Jersey

Very well said by everyone. Being a native NY'er, I heard thousands of stories of heroism during 9/11, and even though I was living in San Francisco at the time, it still hurt me deeply that my hometown and beloved city was atttacked and so many people were killed.

I have a deep love for Boston, not only as a Patriot fan, but as a fan of the city itself, I've been to Boston at least 20 times in my lifetime. In fact, I was there on a mini vacation just last week. We drove home from Boston last Monday, exactly a week before the bombings.

Due to my love of Boston, and my love of the whole region, I had a sick feeling in my stomach all day after hearing about the bombings. My hopes and thoughts are with the whole city, and with those families directly affected by this cowardly act. Boston is one tough city, and I am not shocked by the stories of heroism coming out of this horrible tragedy. Boston will prevail, the thoughts of the entire country are with you.
  13. belichick010405

belichick010405 Closed Acccount

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Charities

After what happened yesterday, I wanted to remind everyone of how great the Boston Marathon is.

There are a number of charities that work with the Boston Athletic Association including the New England Patriots Charitable Foundation, the American Liver Foundation, and smaller organizations like Tenacity, Inc., a local Boston charity that provides after-school activity for youths through Tennis.

As a tribute to the victims of yesterday's terror act, I would encourage everyone to support the charities that are supported by the Boston Athletic Association.

Have a good day everyone....
  14. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -43

#50 Jersey

I no longer live in the Boston area. However, I grew up in New England, living there for 24 years, 4 of which were spent in Boston, going to school at Wentworth Institute of Technology. I used to spend many a day in that area of Copley Square with friends.

When the news first hit yesterday, I ran to the TV and flipped it on. Within 3 minutes of them showing video, I saw a face that I thought I recognized. It was a woman wearing a pink jacket. Her face was blank, but her eyes blinking, clearly in shock. I panicked. I had lost touch with this person and immediately scrambled to find a way to contact her. I immediately ran back to the other room to get on the computer and try and find her phone number or the number of a family member. 45 minutes later, the panic gripping my heart, my stomach twisting, I still had had no luck. So, i reached out to a friend who might have her number. She didn't. but knew someone who did. She called the mutual friend and got the number. She called and they were ok.

I am sure that this is a similar story that hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people went through yesterday. Being so far away, I felt helpless to do anything.

Later that night, I felt anger. I felt anger because people were passing around the photo of the man in a wheelchair who had lost both legs to the explosion. I was angry at people for exploiting this man's pain and suffering. Essentially gawking at his injuries. So I politely asked them to stop. To show the man the dignity and respect that he deserved. To not make a spectacle of him. I was pleasantly surprised at the reactions I got, people agreeing with me.

There are going to be many unsung heroes who stepped up yesterday. Make it a point to honor them by doing something yourself. Be a hero yourself. Go out and donate blood. Go out and offer to help. Show the strength that not only makes us Americans, but Bostonians.
  15. belichick010405

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hi Bruinz - I know that picture all too well. I went to Northeastern University and was a part of a fraternity, Phi Gamma Pi. One of my brothers looks exactly like that guy that was being taken by wheelchair and I had to confirm that was not him.

I sincerely hope that the man in that picture is safe and sound because his wounds were bad, very bad.

One other thing - I heard that those _________________ at the Westboro Baptist Church are going to protest at the funerals of those that fell yesterday.
  16. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +289 / 18 / -43

#50 Jersey

If those ______________________ from the Westboro Baptist Church do decide to protest the funerals, I might just make the drive up from Texas to help ensure that they don't.
  17. belichick010405

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

18. belichick010405

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

19. Leemo

Leemo Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 2 / -0

#87 Jersey

Wilfork said it better than I ever could. So proud to be a Boston sports fan from Great Britain.

God bless you all.
  20. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.