Status
Not open for further replies.

borg

Pro Bowl Player
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
My Mole out of Foxboro says that BB/Pioli totally miscalculated the money offers Willie would receive. They ALL knew that his last year of contract was bogus and were counting on Willy's loyalty and willingness to accept short money. Romeo's bid blew them away. Also, BB has been seriously eyeballing a certain Gator WR.

Regarding Chad Jackson, I was looking at the 10 and 20 yard combine splits and he was in the top 5 of both, it wasn't just a great 40 he ran. We all know how Belichick looks at those splits, that really caught my attention.

borg said:
My Mole out of Foxboro says that BB/Pioli totally miscalculated the money offers Willie would receive. They ALL knew that his last year of contract was bogus and were counting on Willy's loyalty and willingness to accept short money. Romeo's bid blew them away. Also, BB has been seriously eyeballing a certain Gator WR.

If there was a miscalculation it was at the time they redid his previous offer a few years back.

Everyone, including Willie, knew that the final contract year and bonus was a "dummy" year.

Did they forsee the outcome of the CBA negotiations right down to the last minute gamesmanship and the influx of additional monies that allowed teams like the Browns to overspend, let alone the fact that Crennel would be the HC of the Browns and that he would have $30 million to spend?

No, you're right - they probably weren't counting on that.

But Willie would have been a fool to agree to a renegotiation without first seeing what would happen with the new CBA - and he would have been a fool to accept a restructured deal without testing the new market and the gobs of money out there.

So were they shocked to the degree that the Browns overpaid? Probably - but that's what bad teams have to do to attract good players who are good locker room models for a team in transition (just like they did for Andruzzi).

Last edited:
I think part of it is not really that the Pats wouldnt pay in the same range, but that they just werent going to extend beyond a players 'shelf life'
I find it hard to believe Willie will be playing in 2008. Getting the 3rd year bumped the signing bouns, and the Pats werent ready to do that.

How many Laws, Pooles, Starks, etc do we need to go through to realize what you actually get out of an aging player can be very different than just his talent level?

What are the chances Willie will go through the next 2 years, much less 3 injury free? I wouldn't toss a 6mill bonus out there and take that risk at his age. Esp when we have 2 very good OLBs, and last year was an injury disaster.

I'd be very surprised if they were surprised.

It's not like they are unfamiliar with the people on the Browns and Ravens, (Savage) staffs.

I don't know why people expect inside knowledge from creatures like this.

"Any of various small insectivorous mammals of the family Talpidae, usually living underground and having thickset bodies with light brown to dark gray silky fur, rudimentary eyes, tough muzzles, and strong forefeet for burrowing."

borg said:
It would be great to have Chad Jackson on our team as the rookie #2 WR opposite Branch. However, we would have to move up past the Chiefs & the Eagles to get him.

We all know that won't happen...

JoeSixPat said:
If there was a miscalculation it was at the time they redid his previous offer a few years back.

Everyone, including Willie, knew that the final contract year and bonus was a "dummy" year.

Did they forsee the outcome of the CBA negotiations right down to the last minute gamesmanship and the influx of additional monies that allowed teams like the Browns to overspend, let alone the fact that Crennel would be the HC of the Browns and that he would have $30 million to spend?

No, you're right - they probably weren't counting on that.

But Willie would have been a fool to agree to a renegotiation without first seeing what would happen with the new CBA - and he would have been a fool to accept a restructured deal without testing the new market and the gobs of money out there.

So were they shocked to the degree that the Browns overpaid? Probably - but that's what bad teams have to do to attract good players who are good locker room models for a team in transition (just like they did for Andruzzi).

There is another difference. 3 million is vital to us as a SB contender, whose players are heavily sought after on the market. It means less to a doormat trying to rebuild like Cleveland.

When you have many pieces to add, a 3mill mistake can get lost in the shuffle.
When you are competing and have many players who will need large raises when they become FAs, that 3mill can do miore damage.

My take is BB knew this "golden Parachute" would only be available this year.

They would have cut McGoo next year and it would have really been ugly.

I think people underestimate how much these guys talk during the off-season.

BB and Romeo are friends. They conspired for a win win for one of their favorite players.

So if you see a mole, it only means 6 more weeks of winter. Unless I'm mixed up.

Or you live in florida. :D

RyeMan said:
However, we would have to move up past the Chiefs & the Eagles to get him.

We all know that won't happen...
Daniel Graham (and the move from #32 to #21 to get him) says "HI".

RayClay said:
My take is BB knew this "golden Parachute" would only be available this year.

They would have cut McGoo next year and it would have really been ugly.

I think people underestimate how much these guys talk during the off-season.

BB and Romeo are friends. They conspired for a win win for one of their favorite players.

So if you see a mole, it only means 6 more weeks of winter. Unless I'm mixed up.

Or you live in florida. :D

:p good point!!! I think people also tend to underestimate the value that the Pats put on maintaining good trade relations with various other NFL teams. Bidding wars only help the player and the agent.

JoeSixPat said:

If there was a miscalculation at that time, it was probably that Willie would have played 2004 and 2005 at the highest level of his career.

So what? It's in the history books now, and I'm looking forward. In my latest mock I have Chad Jackson going to Philly at number 14. I don't think we want to trade our second rounder to get that high.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye