PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

To all Pats fans........

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
PATRIOTS OFFSEASON SURVIVAL GUIDE (One man's opinion)

The recipe that has worked for the Patriots for the past several years....DOES not usually offer us, the "patriot" fan much excitement in the days of free agency....or the draft.

This you MUST get used to.

Do NOT expect many "star studded", or big name free agency signings for huge cash....from the Belichick led Patriots. DO expect a few LATE signings of FA players who's names you do not quickly recognize, that get signed for average/league minimum money. YOU may not know their names.....but odds are Belichick and Pioli....HAVE BEEN WATCHING them all year.....they may do well here....or they may be a bust.....but they are very low risk financially for the most part. During this time of year....EXPECT to watch the talking heads on ESPN/other Sports stations.....briefly talk about the FA moves by the Patriots, scratch their heads, look at each other blankly.....and then move on to the next team.....that just signed a "HUGE, BIG NAME star" to their roster for 100 million over 4 years.......

DO not EXPECT to read anything in the newspapers or free agency/rumor websites about possible trades or aquisitions by the Patriots......IF you don't expect this.....you won't be disappointed everyday....when every other team has "moves" listed......and the Pats column is blank.......

During the draft.....DO NOT EXPECT ANY BIG NAME SIGNINGS in the draft.......you WILL NOT get them!!!! Generally, DO NOT EXPECT TO SEE US TAKE A flashy RB or WR ever in the first round........Every talking head and analyst in the world will mock draft or predict a player for the Pats......and BB/pioli ARE GOING to send them all scrambling to the draft sheets with their picks......to try to find the name of the guy (most likely a tight end ;)....that was chosen.....EXPECT a player that most draft analysts have GOING much later in the draft.....to be drafted in the first round by the Pats.......

Bill Belichick is a great coach, and on average.....a great judge of talent. Has he had his share of busts?.....sure........DO I AGREE with every player move he has made......OF course not.........BUT I have gotten used to the Belichick style and method in terms of the FA and draft process......and quite often......you have to just sit back, wait, and watch......

GO PATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your post reminds me of the old Celtic teams which I would also compare this patriot dynasty. Remember Red would choose a player no one really recognized over a heralded player (Dave Cowens over Bob Laniar). And just like you mentioned, ESPN will be all over the team which lands T.O. until we are ready to vomit. Just like every year the media would proclaim the Lakers champions because they said so.

Yeah......

scout said:
Your post reminds me of the old Celtic teams which I would also compare this patriot dynasty. Remember Red would choose a player no one really recognized over a heralded player (Dave Cowens over Bob Laniar). And just like you mentioned, ESPN will be all over the team which lands T.O. until we are ready to vomit. Just like every year the media would proclaim the Lakers champions because they said so.

That is a great analogy with Red and the Celtics........and always......always....after the fact....the so called analysts will come out and say "That they were thinking of that guy that the Pats took in the first round....but they thought they would still be around later in the draft.......but overall the Pats did great to fill a void on their team"

Think of this.....the Pats almost always get a great review by all the talking heads and analysts ...AFTER the draft....when they have had time to go back to the stat sheets and tried to get inside BB's mind as to what he was thinking......."

BB is a master of picking up players that end up being pretty incredible....that are not on other team's radars or are on the screen LATE......this alone makes BB a genius.....rarely has he been wrong on a draftee.......even though it makes for a boring draft sometimes for us fans.....because everyone is looking at the big names...good post!

Do NOT expect many "star studded", or big name free agency signings for huge cash....from the Belichick led Patriots.

* Rosey Colvin was one of the top sought after FA's available the year the Patriots signed him. I think what has most ansty about the silence from the Patriots FO is that unlike other years, the Patriots have almost 17 million in cap space. Even hearing they redid Seymour and/or Branch would quiet the anxiety. Not all the signings that have happened have been outrageous deals. What I saw of Coery Chavous deal seemed reasonable, for example.
I have no idea who they may target in FA beyond who it's been reported they've seen like Mawae. While I don't drink Kool Aid, I do think BB/Pioli are the best around and while not perfect, will put together a good team. How good only time will tell. I don't just assume it will happen though.

Good post. Very well thought out and presented. Patriots will be fine because it really is a different team mix each year and every year they try to reload the team when the time is right and the moves are financially sound. Not necessarily painless for the fans and some players but everything is still being done by an overall plan for the good of the team and working towards the goal of putting the strongest team possible onto the playing field under the Patriot braintrust parameters.

The goal is to consistently get better and field playoff teams capable of attaining the final prize. They might not always achieve it but it won't be for lack of effort or ability. What more can a fan ask of their team then to be a consistent, first-rate playoff contender for the thrill and honor of having the chance at the final prize? I don't want to go back to the Patriot dark ages! I like it the way it is and the current management team has the expertise to add to what they've already achieved.

Well said, everyone......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back