Welcome to PatsFans.com

TMQ on Pats running game

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by SVN, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SVN

SVN Rookie

Ratings:
    +190 / 1 / -0

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/071127

2. holyredeemer

holyredeemer Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

and we all know that the right side of our o-line is far from magnificent.

People in the media are over reacting to our offensive gameplan against the eagles. I mean, how do these guys get paid money to be analysts? Doesn't everyone know by now that this coaching staff prepares for each game differently? We can pass it 60 times one week, then the next week go out there and pound the ball all night. BB and company are going to do whatever they believe is going to give us the best chance to win.

I had to go to work last night and listen to my boss banter on and on for over 20 minutes about how the eagles have created a "blueprint" for playing against this team. That's ridiculous. After one game? The Colts almost beat us too. Where's their "blueprint"?
  3. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 3 / -0

While NE's OL has certainly been magnificent over the entire season, I'm not sure that they lived up to those standards against Philly.
  4. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

TheGodInAGreyHoodie Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Honestly, I worry about a high wind game or a game like Pitt-Fish.

Yes, the Pats have the 11th best ypc avg. But how much of that is because of a great RB and o-line and how much of that is because nobody defends NE rush? Other teams def coordinators know that the Pats throw the ball a lot more than they run and also know the Pats get a lot more yards on passes than runs.

So they triple team Moss and double team Welker, that doesn't leave many folks left to defend the rush.

But I don't know if b/c of weather the long pass was eliminated if the Pats could move the ball well if the other team was actually focused on defending the rush. Getting a few yards rushing when the entire defense is focused on the pass is not the hallmark of a great rushing offense.
  5. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't think they did. But then they were handicapped by the defense knowing what to attack over and over and over.

Our pass protection is not going to be helped by defenses being able to tee off on play after play.

Brady paid the price vs Philly, IMO.
  6. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 3 / -0

Actually, if anything, the opposite is true. Because NE plays Faulk on passing downs regularly, when Maroney is in the game he runs on a higher percentage of plays than most RBs. Pay attention to just how often teams send a run blitzer when Maroney is on the field. Teams most certainly don't ignore the run when he is in there.
  7. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I hope you are right, but you can't defend everything and it seem like most team are focusing on Moss and welker and not the run def.

Only one way to find out bad weather game. We will find out then.
  8. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Simply amazing. You all seriously think that Belichick works 20 hour days to get homefield advantage in the playoffs but hasn't considered the weather might be bad in Foxborough in January? If these things seem obvious to you with 15 seconds of thought, you think the Pats coaching staff will be caught by surprise when it counts the most?

These are just battles. You can't win the war until February.
  9. patsox23

patsox23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 1 / -0

Thank you for posting something SANE. The idea that somehow Bill Belichick doesn't know more than us, and more than the mediots, on what it takes to WIN in this league, and how good and/or important the running game is, is downright ABSURD. People need to wake up.
  10. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

I am sure he is aware of it. And I am sure he will have a game plan to cope with it. But, I am not sure if he has the personnel to execute an all ground game.

Will the Pats rollover and die? - NO. But a very windy day against a very good team, that also has an excellent game plan could be the doom of the Patriots.

And even if BB had concluded that the Pats would be better off in a dome in January than at the Razor, what is he going to do, tell the team to throw the game against the Colts? That would be insane.

I expect that the Pats will come out with great game plans each game, but I am more worried about a high wind game then any other scenario. And the Pats are a great team, but not invincible.
  11. primetime

primetime Rookie

Ratings:
    +346 / 24 / -22

#18 Jersey

Maybe because if Laurence Maroney carries the ball all of 100 times in the regular season, he'll be running on super-fresh legs in the playoffs?
  12. Oswlek

Oswlek Rookie

Ratings:
    +98 / 3 / -0

But NE passed a lot to open the Buffalo game as well.

I don't think it is that much of an issue. I just think they didn't play as well as they have most of the year.
  13. FrontSeven

FrontSeven Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Don't hold yer breath.
  14. RayClay

RayClay On the Roster

Ratings:
    +750 / 6 / -11

#75 Jersey

I can't believe this guy actually gets paid to write about sports.
  15. Fencer

Fencer Rookie

Ratings:
    +128 / 2 / -15

#12 Jersey

Well-argued. And 11th isn't that great anyway.

Although -- it they're higher in total yards than in YPC, then the percentage of their plays that are runs is HIGHER than the league norm. Weird ... I guess it comes from being ahead big so much. But then many of their runs are when teams know the run is coming, so that DEPRESSES their YPC.

It's all connected.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  16. apricissimus

apricissimus Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

You need some kind of running threat to keep the defense honest. Football 101. Even the Patriots offense isn't good enough to throw on every down.
  17. bbabin

bbabin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Except we did that and won. Maybe our offense is good enough for that. I don't really understand the complaints about our lack of running. In what football tome does it say that there must be a balance between running and passing. I understand that running keeps defenses honest, but we ran very few times in the first half, and scored on all three possessions.
  18. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -4

Barely. Unless you define a 3 point win as complete domination.
    A balanced attack keeps the defense honest.
    I think the Pats will try to go back to a more balanced attack against Baltimore.
    The only question is can Maroney step up and answer the call?
  19. Denzera

Denzera Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Just for grins, TMQ's note about needing a magnificent offensive line was a follow-up to the immediately preceding paragraph, also splooging about New England:

20. TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

Well, that part doesn't naturally follow because the Pats have a total of more offensive plays than any other team. So above avg number of total running plays doesn't automatically translate into a higher than league norm of the Pats plays being run vs. pass.

So I did some number crunching, 55% of all plays are passing plays. 18th highest in the league so slightly less than avg. The most was the Lions who throw 64% of the time, the least Steelers 44%.

I would dispute you claim that teams know the run is coming when we are up. See multiple discussions on "running up the score" the Pat continue to throw the ball when they are up by a large lead.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.