PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TMQ: Both backpedaling and making stuff up again

Status
Not open for further replies.
i heard schlereth on felger's show and he was still frothing over last week. Felger asked him about a denver game and he said they wouldnt throw 35 yd passes. they would run. He said joe gibbs wouldnt have done that.

He wouldn't?

How about the Falcons game in 1991, when he was up 42-17 in the fourth, and had Mark Rypien throw a 64-yard TD bomb?

http://www.theskinszone.com/decades/90s/1991/Week11/Falcons

In fact, he DID do that.

I just pulled a copy-cat on you and sent Jason the following "what if" question;

"Jason,

Regarding the Patriots "running up the score", please consider this. It is widely known that Bill Belichick is an NFL historian (i.e. Flutie drop-kick & Testerverde's consecutive seasons) extraordinaire.

Considering the personnel he had to start the season, what if the thought, "I may have the best team in NFL history standing before me". So being the historian he is, what if he decided that he wanted to try to have the best single season in NFL history? To accomplish this, he'd have to do at least 2 things;

1. Have an undefeated season
2. Be the most dominant team ever by scoring more points and beating his opponents by the largest of margins.

Now that he is half-way to accomplishing this feat, why not continue. Is is really wrong to try to have the most dominant season ever given the players he is blessed with?

I think not. What great coach would "let off" his opponents if presented with this opporunity? To sacrifice a chance at beind the best team in NFL history to show respect is showing a lack of respect for the game in this case.

Now if the Patriots do have the most dominant season ever, all you in the media better give Belichick and his team their due respect. Because that would render all the 4th quarter TD issues moot.

You agree?"

I hope he has the courage to answer my question.

But do be a little careful on the comparison. In that Houston game, the Colts were in their own territory when they did it and all the throws were short. Granted, they should have been burning clock with a backup RB and a backup QB, but at least they didn't throw deep, which is what the Pats did and they didn't go on fourth down.

Again, I don't have a big problem with what the Pats did, but they are doing two things (as further evidenced by the late score against Dallas and putting Brady back in the game against Miami).

First, no mercy. Second, they are toying with the egos of their opponents. That can be dangerous if you play someone with a big ego and a low emotional IQ.

Just ask Anthony Gurode about Albert Haynesworth.

Later, Jason

Huh?

The Pats had it at their own 13 to start the 4th. The 4th-down play was at the Skins' 7. Field goal, kneel on it, go for it - which is the most sportsmanlike? And is he seriously comparing that plus a 35-yard pass to getting a taunting penalty?

This will be a story-line for the rest of the year. This is just how the media operates. Once a narrative gets entrenched, it takes literally years to change it. There are dozens of examples in politics which I won't mention to avoid starting a political flame-war ("that's not a media narrative, that's true!"), but this is what happens.

Folks believe what they want to believe about the Patriots running up the score. No number of facts or any other things from what I like to call "reality" are going to change their minds.

Enjoy it. When you hear people complain about the Pats running up the score, do what I do: think to yourself "what a whiny little chump," count yourself lucky to be a Pats fan so you don't have to debase yourself whining about another team scoring 50 on your team, and smile, smile, smile.

Last edited:
This will be a story-line for the rest of the year. This is just how the media operates. Once a narrative gets entrenched, it takes literally years to change it. There are dozens of examples in politics which I won't mention to avoid starting a political flame-war ("that's not a media narrative, that's true!"), but this is what happens.

Folks believe what they want to believe about the Patriots running up the score. No number of facts or any other things from what I like to call "reality" are going to change their minds.

Enjoy it. When you hear people complain about the Pats running up the score, do what I do: think to yourself "what a whiny little chump," count yourself lucky to be a Pats fan so you don't have to debase yourself whining about another team scoring 50 on your team, and smile, smile, smile.

When I have a debate on this issue with an opposing fan, I alway tell them, "If you don't like it, too bad. But the Patriots are going to keep winning whatever way they please and if it pisses you off, there's not a damn thing you can do about it!"

They usually love me after I say that! ;)

...or just remember the numerous beatings the Pats have endured over the years, and be happy that we're on the other side now. That works for me!

Huh?

The Pats had it at their own 13 to start the 4th. The 4th-down play was at the Skins' 7. Field goal, kneel on it, go for it - which is the most sportsmanlike? And is he seriously comparing that plus a 35-yard pass to getting a taunting penalty?

well i did send him responses but stats and figures arent my strength. i havent heard back yet. Even you can send him some comments if you so like. I was pleasantly surprised he responded.

When I have a debate on this issue with an opposing fan, I alway tell them, "If you don't like it, too bad. But the Patriots are going to keep winning whatever way they please and if it pisses you off, there's not a damn thing you can do about it!"

They usually love me after I say that! ;)
My usual response runs something like this: "Look, if the multi-millionaires on the other side of the ball can't stop the Patriots from doing whatever they want, they better run to their mama for sympathy 'cause they ain't getting it from me."

That usually gets a confused look in response. Good times, good times ...

And, yeah, the memory of Victor Kiam and Patriot Missiles keeps me from feeling bad about any of this.

My dream is that everyone in sight keeps whining about it for the next 11 Patriot postgame shows.

Last edited:
The backpedal:
But all other things aren't equal. Last week's TMQ called the Colts the good team and the Patriots the bad team in a "Good vs. Evil" setup for next week's clash. After the column posted, I felt badly that I had not made clear I was being satirical -- that was my failing as a writer -- because, after all, none of us has the slightest idea what is in the hearts of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. There was Internet chatter calling me biased, ignorant, lower than pond scum ....

I would have said "lower than whale sh!t", but that's just me.

//

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back