PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

TMQ: Both backpedaling and making stuff up again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixit

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
The backpedal:
But all other things aren't equal. Last week's TMQ called the Colts the good team and the Patriots the bad team in a "Good vs. Evil" setup for next week's clash. After the column posted, I felt badly that I had not made clear I was being satirical -- that was my failing as a writer -- because, after all, none of us has the slightest idea what is in the hearts of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. There was Internet chatter calling me biased, ignorant, lower than pond scum; although in 2004 when I wrote a column for NFL.com saying Belichick was not only the best coach of the moment but perhaps the best coach ever, I don't recall anyone calling me biased or uninformed. Anyway, I apologize to Brady for complaining that he smirks -- saying this is an insult, and although it's fine to criticize public figures, insults are childish. (Remember, my argument is not with the New England players, it is with bad sportsmanship and cheating.) I even toyed with apologizing to Belichick, since comparing him to Beelzebub was a tad overloaded. But then I watched Sunday's game and thought, Belichick is exactly what I said!

The making up of stuff:
New England ran up the score, and on Monday was lavishly praised by sports pundits; Indianapolis pulled its starters early in the fourth quarter, and on Monday, sports pundits were complaining that the Colts' victory lacked style points. Uhhh, what?

The backpedal:
But all other things aren't equal. Last week's TMQ called the Colts the good team and the Patriots the bad team in a "Good vs. Evil" setup for next week's clash. After the column posted, I felt badly that I had not made clear I was being satirical -- that was my failing as a writer -- because, after all, none of us has the slightest idea what is in the hearts of Peyton Manning or Tom Brady. There was Internet chatter calling me biased, ignorant, lower than pond scum; although in 2004 when I wrote a column for NFL.com saying Belichick was not only the best coach of the moment but perhaps the best coach ever, I don't recall anyone calling me biased or uninformed. Anyway, I apologize to Brady for complaining that he smirks -- saying this is an insult, and although it's fine to criticize public figures, insults are childish. (Remember, my argument is not with the New England players, it is with bad sportsmanship and cheating.) I even toyed with apologizing to Belichick, since comparing him to Beelzebub was a tad overloaded. But then I watched Sunday's game and thought, Belichick is exactly what I said!

The making up of stuff:
New England ran up the score, and on Monday was lavishly praised by sports pundits; Indianapolis pulled its starters early in the fourth quarter, and on Monday, sports pundits were complaining that the Colts' victory lacked style points. Uhhh, what?

if he was being satrical then he is a very bad writer. iam not sure i got the satire there.

The backpedal:

The making up of stuff:

TMQ has officially "jumped the shark" :rolleyes:

".......therefore, even though I am in the media business and have written for over 10 major publications and am employed by the Brookings Institute, I have trouble communicating".

Thanks, Gregg. Got it.

To use a delicious ironic turn, let me paraphrase former NY GM Steve Gutman after the infamous BB "I quit as HC of the NYJ" press conference:

It seems as if we should be more understanding that Mr. Easterbrooke is going through some kind of personal turmoil.

and he takes a shot in the end at the pats

Next Week: TMQ's nightmare: An angry crowd with pitchforks and torches comes to my house, the crowd composed of people who use DirecTV to watch the New England Patriots.

Maybe THIS column is the satire, not the previous one. It trickses us. Filthy Hobbitses.

and he takes a shot in the end at the pats

Also, I like his take on the hassle of installing and maintaining a satellite dish vs. "hassle-free" cable. I've had DirecTV for three months or so, and it is superior to Time Warner cable in every possible way.

Thanks for posting, for I would've been tempted to read the article, and now I won't have to give him the hits.

I posted last week that it was so over the top I thought maybe it was a parody (or "satire") but for the life of me couldn't see what he was parodying. The guy should really just stop.

TMQ is a quality article. I enjoy it on a weekly basis.

He's good at writing something and then saying he didn't mean it, just look at his anti-semitic comments re: Hollywood.

First, the Colts pulled Manning after his first drive in the fourth quarter. The Pats pulled Brady after their first drive in the fourth quarter. The only difference was that Manning's drive took about 2 minutes and Brady's took about 6 minutes of clock time.

Second, where was anyone who complained that the Colts didn't run up the score. They did rightfully so talk about how the Colts struggled early. Manning did have zero passing yards in the first quarter and only 6 passing yards in the first half while the defense gave up an 18 play, 80 yard TD drive that took up 11 minutes of clock time.

Third, the Pats played a near perfect game while the Colts played a sloppy one at least in the first half. The only things you can really point to with the Pats' poor performance was Gostowski's kick off out of bounds and the one TD drive we gave up with a lot of scrubs in. Meriweather is now our third or fourth string FS and he was the one who gave up the TD.

What's TMQ? Sorry for the ignorance.

It's an analytical indicator educators use to measure intelligence in children.

Total Moron Quotient.

What's TMQ? Sorry for the ignorance.

Tuesday Morning QB. It is a column written by a writer Gregg Easterbrook on Page 2 of the ESPN site. Yeah, I know most people don't even know there is a page 2. Easterbrook is a failed political writer who is best known for getting fired (although subsequently rehired) by ESPN and Disney for antisemetic remarks.

I know the TMQ has it's followers. Personally, I alway thought it was a rambling mess of Easterbrooks "quirky" observations and reviews of cheerleaders around the league.

I guess it isn't for me. Considering his anti-Patriots rants have been the only thing that has made him relevant for years and the last time before that was when he made anti-semetic comments, I guess he isn't for a lot of people.

Last edited:
Nevermind...found it on ESPN...I didn't realize it was Eastbrook...he's a total clown.

The backpedal:

The making up of stuff:
SOME ADVISE IGNORE HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes