PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tired of people saying Ainge was "lucky"

Lifer

Banned
Reaction score
What GM isnt lucky?

the fact is, he did it. He got Allen. He got Garnett. He got Posey. He got House. He got Cassell.

so shut up!!!!!

same with Theo bashers.

shut up..will..you as Archie Bunker used to say..

I think the only issue I take is when people in the national media say that Ainge had some master plan all along to build up a good group of young people and then sell them for a championship team. What he did to get Allen and Garnett was great, but he made some huge mistakes in the past and was cluelessly floundering around for a good number of years, not shaping this master plan.

I think the only issue I take is when people in the national media say that Ainge had some master plan all along to build up a good group of young people and then sell them for a championship team. What he did to get Allen and Garnett was great, but he made some huge mistakes in the past and was cluelessly floundering around for a good number of years, not shaping this master plan.

I agree. He started out doing this and trying that much like Pitino but at least with young players.

but im just saying, give the man his due for taking a rotten situation and pushing all the right buttons to build this team this season. That wasnt lucky, others teams could have done it and didnt.

What GM isnt lucky?

the fact is, he did it. He got Allen. He got Garnett. He got Posey. He got House. He got Cassell.

so shut up!!!!!

same with Theo bashers.

shut up..will..you as Archie Bunker used to say..

Why is luck deemed bad or an insult?

Did I miss something or are we talking about the Celtics...four leafed clovers? Leprechauns?

Now all of a sudden if you note the Celtics good luck you're insulting Ainge? Better change the name of the team, their mascot and all the symbolism then because you're not going to be a happy camper keeping good luck away from the Celtics.

If anyone's put forth a theory of Ainge trading away the #1 pick in the NBA last offseason instead of using it on Oden I'd be interested in seeing that. Ainge had the good luck of NOT getting the ping pong balls to drop the way he and everyone else wanted them to.

If Ainge was on the record as to not being interested in Oden then please remind me.

Give Ainge credit for taking the #5 pick and a lot of players with upside to make Lemonade out of Lemons - but don't insult him by denying that there was luck involved in the way the draft worked out.

Then go back and look at how many of Ainges moves were as bad as those were good.

Are you saying that such bad moves were all part of a master plan to put us in this position in 2007? Or is Ainge still a genius for making those moves and suffered from bad luck?

Oh wait - sorry... no mention of luck allowed! ;)

The truth is - though I don't think the concept will be popular with some here - that there are a TON of variables in the NBA today, and a ton of luck involved - good and bad - that influences how good or bad teams are.

It's not a black and white issue even if some folks would like it to be.

Last edited:
One of the greatest single season turn arounds in sports history.

One of the greatest single season turn arounds in sports history.

That it is - though the sports and their financing, player development and depth of talent are all so amazingly different, one really can't go too far making cross sports comparisons.

Comparing Basketball with a shallow talent pool and guaranteed contracts, with no salary cap to say the NFL with an extraordinarilly deep talent pool, salary cap and limited guarantees isn't even apples to oranges... its more like apples to orangutans!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back