PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tiquan Underwood Released

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at this roster move a couple of ways.

First, with the additions of Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth, Gonzalez, it was apparent that Underwood was not going to make the 53-man roster. Belichick (who was vilified for adding Silvestro over Underwood to the SB roster) already had a year to assess Underwood, knew he wasn't going to make the roster, and did him a favor by cutting him now. He gets a much better opportunity to make another club by working with them all off-season rather than trying to catch on elsewhere on September 3rd.

Another possibility is that Belichick preferred that the other new players get that many more reps in off-season and training camp. There are already a ton of receivers and with the new CBA practice time is more limited than it used to be. The new players that are most likely going to make the roster will benefit from the extra snaps.

It could also be a signal that the team is about to sign other free agents. A veteran running back is a possibility, as well as other positions such as defensive tackle.

This is pure speculation, but another possibility is that Belichick or one of the other coaches saw something during OTAs that compelled them to decide it was time to move on. Despite the reasons given above it is still a bit suspect for them to cut a player when they were already below the roster limit.

I didn't think he would make the team. We've got so many better WRs.

I know you guys are joking about this, but I'm a little worried we might be getting a little thin at WR. ;)

Relax, T.O. and Chad Jackson are still available. I aint worried ;)

Re: Tyquan Underwood Released

This is very nice of BB, if it allows Mr. Underwood the opportunity on another team. With the additions of Lloyd and Gaffney, Underwood had no shot to make the team.

Exactly. BB is heartless with respect to actual roster spots, and a tough negotiator on a salary if he does give you a job. But at least he is pretty thoughtful in his timing if he is going to cut you.

Poor guy. I'm pretty sure that it's a good new for him. Good luck !

Last edited:
Tiquan signed with Schiano, his college coach, and the Bucs. I am utterly unsurprised.

I'm looking at this roster move a couple of ways.

First, with the additions of Lloyd, Gaffney, Stallworth, Gonzalez, it was apparent that Underwood was not going to make the 53-man roster. Belichick (who was vilified for adding Silvestro over Underwood to the SB roster)
Villified? By who?

There was some pretty nasty criticism of Belichick that got kind of lost in the Super Bowl coverage but for the most part it was the usual gang of idiots doing the criticizing.

Villified? By who?

The vast majority in the media, both locally and nationally, mainstream and non-msm. It didn't help that the reason for the roster move was supposed to be because Silvestro would take Gronk's place on special teams, but then Silvestro never got on the field once. Even some of the most hardcore homers questioned the move.

I'd say he's the first of several cuts this year that will see a significant role on another team. I think our depth is pretty amazing. There won't be any bums left on the 53 this year, that's for sure.

I kid of hate to see him ago. We're more than a little old at WR. I think 2013 is the year we draft receivers.

I'd say he's the first of several cuts this year that will see a significant role on another team. I think our depth is pretty amazing. There won't be any bums left on the 53 this year, that's for sure.

I kid of hate to see him ago. We're more than a little old at WR. I think 2013 is the year we draft receivers.

As long as Brady and Belichick are here I don't think we'll see a significant WR draft. They both know their time is limited and will bring in proven talent year after year.

When Hoyer, Mallet, or whoever takes over a few years down the road, he will most likely get to grow up with plenty of young WR's in a simplified version of the offense that Brady thrived in for the first few superbowls.

The vast majority in the media, both locally and nationally, mainstream and non-msm. It didn't help that the reason for the roster move was supposed to be because Silvestro would take Gronk's place on special teams, but then Silvestro never got on the field once. Even some of the most hardcore homers questioned the move.

That criticism was completely unwarranted, and just one more example of the media getting sick and tired of dealing with the evil empire 5 of the last 10 SB's.

They'll come up with anything and everything to try and make a story out of nothing. It's not like T.Underwood was a vital part of our success last yr, he should've been released before the SB, at least in my opinion.

On another note though, I was under the impression that the move was made to add another DB to the mix, rather than a ST position--although either one could certainly have made sense.

What I remember is people saying that it sucked for Underwood that he was getting hosed out of going, but they felt the team had to do what it needed to do.

What I remember is people saying that it sucked for Underwood that he was getting hosed out of going, but they felt the team had to do what it needed to do.

Couldn't they of just put him on IR?

37 posts for a player with great hair who barely played ... :p ... nice to have such problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes