PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tip of the cap to Henne...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWhalers

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Say what you will about the guy, but he was a warrior tonight. It took Brady matching him punch for punch, and he took some big time shots in the pocket. First time I can recall seeing him lead his team like that

Brandon Marshall almost seemed to have his head on straight too, which is a little scary.

Going to be an interesting season!

Only one week in, but this division just might be a *lot* tougher than originally anticipated - especially for the Jets, if the offenses of Buffalo and Miami are for real.

Henne has no touch. If he did, the game might have been closer.

He lead his team in rushing too. (59 yds)

I thought Henne played an excellent game - last year he was jumping from an imaginary pass rush, today he kept his cool despite being hit and hassled alot.

I was surprised about how mobile he was.

He showed some very nice touch - and his WR helped him out in general by making some real circus catches - Fasanos catch was excellent.

I think he's going to have to do it all himself though - that running game looks anaemic to say the least - not only will Reggie Bush suck running between the tackles but he'll also get worn down by midseason.

The Dolphins D will be humiliated for running out gas, as a team, so early in the game - I think that unit is still top 10 in the league (which should put the patriots defensive performance in better perspective)

It looked good but was it Henne or was it Daboll???

I'm thinking it was a bit more about Daboll's plan ... nothing against Henne but great plans inspire confidence.

Daboll was the OC who helped the Brown's destroy us last year.

Last edited:
Henne has developed very well under Brian Daboll! Remember, most people in the league expected him to get replaced by Kyle Orton in the first week or two of camp. Then many people thought the 'Phins were screwed when that trade fell through. Some were even calling for the 'Phins to get Tebow to replace Henne.

Monday night Henne looked like a solid starter. Better than several other starting QBs around the league.

I'm thinking it was a bit more about Daboll's plan ... nothing against Henne but great plans inspire confidence.

I think you are right, it was likely a lot of Daboll. Then again, I really don't think that Henne is as bad as some make him out to be. I think he makes some dumb decisions, and sometimes has some accuracy/touch problems that need to be corrected, but I do think that he has some good potential.

I think while Daboll called a good game planning technique, Henne looked pretty good in carrying it out.

Then again, I could say good things about Ryan Fitzpatrick too, soo take that with a grain of salt I guess ;)

I honestly feel as though Sanchez is the worst QB in the division, and that Fitzpatrick and Henne can be very sufficient at times, even play very well.

Last edited:
Henne has developed very well under Brian Daboll! Remember, most people in the league expected him to get replaced by Kyle Orton in the first week or two of camp. Then many people thought the 'Phins were screwed when that trade fell through. Some were even calling for the 'Phins to get Tebow to replace Henne.

Monday night Henne looked like a solid starter. Better than several other starting QBs around the league.

Good point. I think he looked better than many, not just 'some.'

I can think of a bunch to be honest...Sanchez, McCown, Hasslebeck, Orton, Gradkowski, Dalton, Campbell, McNabb, Grossman, Eli Manning, Romo, etc....

Daboll deserves some credit, but Henne did a great job of executing out there. Henne also deserves some credit for picking up the system so quickly. The lack of off-season and OTAs minimized the amount of time Henne would have to digest everything, but he looked very comfortable out there minus a few mix-ups with Marshall.

I think the Daboll angle has been overplayed - with regard to the Cleveland game anyway.

That Browns game was probably a combination of awful tackling, bad fundamentals and a RB who was running like he was possessed.

McCoy made some plays while scrambling (if I remember correctly) but it was very different to what we seen last night.

Henne hit a number of well designed pass plays but had no running game outside of the opening drive.

Daboll is simply a good offensive co-ordinator - there is no magic code he uses to unlock our defense.

Henne has no touch. If he did, the game might have been closer.

The problem with Henne was between the first drive and garbage time.

The first drive is scripted so the question is what happens once adjustments are made.

He didn't produce a meaningful drive till late in the third quarter.

I was very impressed by his toughness. For a while there, it seemed like we were hitting him every play, and yet he never got truly rattled. Always got rid of the ball quickly, and didn't make too many poor decisions. I think it was a great response to an offseason where everyone doubted him, even when he was killing it in the preseason. Wouldn't be surprised if he continued to play well.

I've heard a lot of comparisons drawn between Romo and Henne. As I watched Henne last night all I could think was "this is no Romo". The unforced errors really were not there. No turnovers from him until the last play jump ball (which in my mind doesn't even count). He moved that ball down field and made some tough plays under pressure. He called audibles and adjusted well based on what he saw on defense. Although it is only one game, this was a Henne I don't think I have seen before.

It can be a combination of both, but you put on the tape of the Patriots Monday game from last year and than last night's game, I saw two differnet quarterbacks. A guy not afraid to take off and run with it, AGGRESSIVELY. A guy that can shift in the pocket, get on the move and make an accurate throw. A guy that can stand it there and take one on the chops and deliver a throw on schedule.

It's just one game, but I'm VERY encouraged with our young quarterback. And I also think we had more YAC in last night's game than all of 2010 put together.

Our defense is not even close to that bad. We just ran into a machine. The greatest quarterback ever, playing at his absolute best.

We'll be okay. We won't beat you guys, but we'll win 8-10 games.

The problem with Henne was between the first drive and garbage time.

The first drive is scripted so the question is what happens once adjustments are made.

He didn't produce a meaningful drive till late in the third quarter.

I disagree. His problem is lack of red zone production and the throws that make you scratch your head. The only bad throw I can think off was in the first half when he had Hartline up the sideline splitting cover two and he was late on the throw and the ball went off the finger tips of Leigh Bodden who was trailing the play.

Red zone effeciency, the dude was responsible for all 3 of our touchdowns.

He balled out last night. Only problem, he was playing Tom freaking Brady.

I don't think his touch was that bad, he was getting hit and pressured a lot despite what you might believe by reading these threads.

The thing that impressed me though was his obvious grasp of the offense. He checked into the right play quite a few times. Damn those Michigan QB's are smart!

I think he would have looked better if his receivers were on the same page more often. I think more than once, he made a good read on the D bit the WR's didn't. Considering that this is a brand-new offense I think they will improve in that department. That is if Henne doesn't get killed.

The OL didn't impress me much, and some holds and outright tackles saved Henne quite a bit more pain.

I thought that was supposed to be a point of emphasis this year but I guess you can only throw so many flags at that slug Incognito.

I agree, Henne was impressive. His mistakes killed them last year against us, Int for touchdown, bad throws, etc. As well as special teams killed them. Last's night's game scared me a bit, if Henne can do that to us, I'm really scared about Rivers.

Very classy thread, I’m impressed. If Henne is any good he will get better with experience in this offense. This was his first rodeo in Daboll’s system so I would expect improvement. If Henne is no good, once teams get more film on what Miami is trying to do he will regress or be figured out. Time will tell.

As for the Pats, you guys once again look to have a great team. That offense is a machine it looks more dangerous then ever. Miami does have some talented players on defense and the pats pretty much dominated all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back