PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Timing issue is BS, Pats WR's not that good

Status
Not open for further replies.

RIP#40

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
If CJ gets over his injury that may change but for now it is true IMO. They can't get open. Branch seems to have found his timing w/MH and Stallworth did well with the Eagles as soon as he was acquired. Why didn't they need to work together to be productive?If you get open, Brady finds you and delivers the ball.

I'm not ready to buy what you're selling yet - but, yes, they do have to get it going soon or I'll agree. To be fair, Givens and Twig had problems getting open against top defenses too - Brady often had lots of time and couldn't find a WR - so I'm not sure they were "that good". But with WR like Moss and Porter plus Stallworth before out there, we'll have to hope the front office made the right judgements here. Put me at 50-50 on this one.

RIP#40 said:
Why didn't they need to work together to be productive?
Different offense. Some offenses do not rely on changing routes based on what look the defense provides, and doesn't even require precise route running.

RIP#40 said:
If you get open, Brady finds you and delivers the ball.
You must be watching tapes of last year's games. This year Brady has missed the open man frequently.

Let's not mix apples and oranges here. Just becuase another receiver has adjusted to their system faster doesn't mean squat. We always here about how coming to NE involves more adjustment time because everything is so much more complex. For example if you took algebra 1 in high school and then started with Calc 1 your freshman year in college. There is an adjustment period, and to me it looks like things are getting better---slowly, but they are getting better.

With that said i do think it's critical for CJ to become involved in the offense down the stretch as it will open more things up. Right now they need someone (whoever it ends up being) who can stretch the field. Becuase until the safety's fear getting burned, the middle of the field will remain tighter-thus forcing brady to throw into a lot smaller spaces with not much run after the catch.

RIP#40 said:
If CJ gets over his injury that may change but for now it is true IMO. They can't get open. Branch seems to have found his timing w/MH and Stallworth did well with the Eagles as soon as he was acquired. Why didn't they need to work together to be productive?If you get open, Brady finds you and delivers the ball.

Branch 11 catches 2TDs = doing great

Gabriel 12 catches 2TDs = we have no receivers

Curious world :confused:

Jaworski has broken down some of the Patriots' game films, and he doesn't see one of those weaknesses being quarterback Tom Brady, despite Brady completing only 54 percent of his passes, one of the lowest marks in the league.

``When you look on tape, there is nothing wrong with Tom Brady," said Jaworski, a former quarterback. ``If there is a problem, it's that the windows to throw into are a lot smaller. It's more difficult when your only way to stretch the field is horizontally, not vertically.

mtbykr said:
With that said i do think it's critical for CJ to become involved in the offense down the stretch as it will open more things up. Right now they need someone (whoever it ends up being) who can stretch the field. Becuase until the safety's fear getting burned, the middle of the field will remain tighter-thus forcing brady to throw into a lot smaller spaces with not much run after the catch.

I think you've hit the nail right on the head. It's probably over-dramatic to say so at this stage, but there's a part of me that is convinced the outcome of our entire season could depend on this.

The WR's are fine, they just need to keep improving their chemistry with Brady. Once they all get on the same page there won't be much to worry about.

I say give it some time, right now the offense could be doing better, but will let you know after the tenth game. Deion had a good game yesterday, but the Hawks have three other receivers who were with the team last year. To acclimate one receiver is much different that having three adjust. TB will make all of these guys better than they ever have been or could dream of being.

I don't think that Stallworth and Branch are a valid comparision. In those cases teams are trying to intergrate one new reciever into their system. This is a much easier adjustment. With the Patriots, Brady is trying to adjust to completely new group of recievers. Even the ones who have been here (Brown, Watson) are being used in a different role. That being said I still don't think we know if these recievers are good enough to get us to the Super Bowl. Only time will tell, I think they will certainly get better but how much better remains to be seen.

This issue has been beaten to death. Bill Belichick has already chimed in with his comments on the topic (I don't have the link) and he himself says that the passing offense is still in development. Tom Brady says the passing offense is a work in progress. Why are we expecting a finished product at this stage? Why does it even MATTER considering that we're 4-1 and can depend on our run game until the passing game jells? This is the oldest, deadest horse thus far in the regular season.

I say that anyone expecting a fully functioning passing attack as of the bye week is either mildly ******ed or simply has not paid a lick of attention to either the first five games or the comments from the QB and HC.

Get. Real.

As I can personally attest from the toll he's taken on my fantasy team, Stallworth hasn't done much this year because he can't stay on the damn field. He's a soft player, and I don't care if he catches 5 TDs a game when he's on the field, it doesn't do you any good if you can't get out there. As for Branch... he hasn't exactly been lighting the league up since his move ot Seattle. Yesterday's 2 TD performance is the first decent showing for him in a while.

The Pats" WRs are so good, they bring in a new receiver every week.
I counted only 3 plays in which the intended WR was clearly open vs Miami. All other completions, Brady had to force the ball in to tight coverage, usually to the savy Brown. The other dudes are just JAGS, and there career #s demonstate how ordinary they are.

forget-this-thread.jpg

Brownfan80 said:
This issue has been beaten to death. Bill Belichick has already chimed in with his comments on the topic (I don't have the link) and he himself says that the passing offense is still in development. Tom Brady says the passing offense is a work in progress. Why are we expecting a finished product at this stage? Why does it even MATTER considering that we're 4-1 and can depend on our run game until the passing game jells? This is the oldest, deadest horse thus far in the regular season.

I say that anyone expecting a fully functioning passing attack as of the bye week is either mildly ******ed or simply has not paid a lick of attention to either the first five games or the comments from the QB and HC.

Get. Real.
Let's just pretend I wrote the same thing with the same level of irritation with our defeatist crowd - who may join NEM in rooting for Pittsburgh, they're F-ing awsome. :rolleyes:

borg said:
The Pats" WRs are so good, they bring in a new receiver every week.
I counted only 3 plays in which the intended WR was clearly open vs Miami. All other completions, Brady had to force the ball in to tight coverage, usually to the savy Brown. The other dudes are just JAGS, and there career #s demonstate how ordinary they are.

Career numbers don't tell the WHOLE story and anyone with football sense can tell you that.

Gabriel was stuck behind Moss and Porter so he wasn't gettting a lot of reps. He's looked good so far in the small amount of time he's been with the Pats.

Caldwell was also stuck behind Parker, McCardell, Gates, and Tomlinson, so again, he got very few reps. he's getting more reps here and has been used as a decoy on numerous occasions to help open up the field for Ben Watson and Troy Brown. That's been noted by several people on here.

Gaffney put up the very similar numbers to David Givens, yet he was let go by the Texans and the Eagles. Could he be a JAG? Yes. But if so, then so was Givens.

People who insist on stereotyping the Patriots receivers as being JAGS or lousy really haven't shown they understand the game, IMHO. And you are way to quick to judge because this group looks better than the group the Pats had in 2001. (And please don't post some stupid PROJECTION and act like it means something)

Also, none of them have explained the overthrowns and underthrows by Brady. I'm sorry, but when you pass the ball to the receiver and he has to make a leaping circus catch to get it when he is wide open (which has happened several times) then that is the fault of the QB. When the ball hits the ground at the receivers feet and he was wide open, that is the fault of the QB.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Let's just pretend I wrote the same thing with the same level of irritation with our defeatist crowd - who may join NEM in rooting for Pittsburgh, they're F-ing awsome. :rolleyes:

I'm less irritated at the 'defeatest' angle than at the 'ignoring reality' angle. It's just silly and irrational some of the things that are being said at this stage of the season. Especially when you consider what the team has accomplished in spite of what could have and probably should have occured.

And yeah, it must be the awesome playcalling that led to 2 TDs and 7 INTs over the span of five games for the Steelers and big Ben.

It must be the awesome playcalling that helped the Steelers average 11 ppg over three losses prior to the blowout over a beat-up KC team.

Go Steelers!

:rolleyes:

brady2brown said:
Different offense. Some offenses do not rely on changing routes based on what look the defense provides, and doesn't even require precise route running.

You must be watching tapes of last year's games. This year Brady has missed the open man frequently.

This hints at both sides of the problem. Complex offense which Caldwell can't seem to get into, but Gabriel seems to be okay with it.

And Brady is not playing at the level we are used to seeing.

Our WR's are fine. The problem right now is with Brady. He has not been accurate, especially with the deep balls. He has been off target more this year than any (54% completion). Dont get me wrong, I like Brady and think he is the best winning QB but every player has his bad year. I am starting to think this may be Brady's worst year. Hopefully he will put it together. I watched many games and saw WR's open on plays. Could it be his pass protection?, maybe. When they are open he has missed the targets. Our WR's have proven they can catch so lets not put all the blame on them.

DaBruinz said:
Also, none of them have explained the overthrowns and underthrows by Brady. I'm sorry, but when you pass the ball to the receiver and he has to make a leaping circus catch to get it when he is wide open (which has happened several times) then that is the fault of the QB. When the ball hits the ground at the receivers feet and he was wide open, that is the fault of the QB.

Baloney. If the receiver was supposed to run an 11 yard out and is actually 9yards out the Pass will be "high". If he runs a 12 yard incut when he was supposed to be an 8 yard incut, the pass will be at his feet, and "low'.

If he cut the wrong way the pass won't be close to him if thrown, at all.

If Brady doesn't know what the receiver was going to do, so he holds it too long; he may thenthrow it away at the WRs feet to insure no INT. I've seen him do that on at least half a dozen failed screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back