PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time To Trust The Secondary

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The secondary will be counted on much more now. They are the strength of our defense, or so we need to hope. Having Chung and Wheatley as our #8 and #9 defensive backs is not too shabby. The secondary must be able to play some one on one to allow some blitzing (both run and pass blitzing).

As other have posted, it time for the experiment to stop. It is time to stop the run with base 3-4 with Thomas inside with Guyton, and with Woods and Burgess on the outside. Banta-Cain will play plenty on passing downs. Personally, I think Wright will get more starts at DE than Green, but it doesn't matter much. Both will get lots of reps, as will Ninkovich.

I agree, I think I could count the number of blitzes on one hand. This secondary couple play, time to attack with the entire front seven by sending in 5 6 players in on a blitz. If yesterday was any indication the DB's can cover pretty damn good.

The jets don't have TO and Evans. Our corners will be out there by themselves sometimes.

I agree, I think I could count the number of blitzes on one hand. This secondary couple play, time to attack with the entire front seven by sending in 5 6 players in on a blitz. If yesterday was any indication the DB's can cover pretty damn good.

The jets don't have TO and Evans. Our corners will be out there by themselves sometimes.

Yeah, the Pats DB's should win the 1 on 1 battles more often then not.

Yeah, the Pats DB's should win the 1 on 1 battles more often then not.
When was the last time you could comfortably say that about a Patriots secondary ;)

The secondary will be counted on much more now. They are the strength of our defense, or so we need to hope. Having Chung and Wheatley as our #8 and #9 defensive backs is not too shabby. The secondary must be able to play some one on one to allow some blitzing (both run and pass blitzing).

As other have posted, it time for the experiment to stop. It is time to stop the run with base 3-4 with Thomas inside with Guyton, and with Woods and Burgess on the outside. Banta-Cain will play plenty on passing downs. Personally, I think Wright will get more starts at DE than Green, but it doesn't matter much. Both will get lots of reps, as will Ninkovich.

Wow, how quickly things change.

I still think our DL will be fine over time - obviously not as good as with Seymour, but much better than they played last night. Obviously, our LB corps is the weak part of the defense, which was true even before Mayo's unfortunate injury.

As long as we can keep Eric Alexander off the field, I think we have a chance.

Ty Law and Otis Smith

Let's not get carries away here. The secondary is not THAT good. They did seem to play very well yesterday. Good coverage and some big hits. Got their hands on 1 ball. They don't tackle though, they just put their shoulder down and ram the opposing player. If he goes down, great.

Interesting thing I noticed on the last play of the game - Darius Butler managed to miss 3 tackles on 3 different guys on that 1 play.

I don't for a moment think that Bodden and Springs are as good as Law and Smith. It's just been that long since we've had a really solid secondary.

Let's not get carries away here. The secondary is not THAT good. They did seem to play very well yesterday. Good coverage and some big hits. Got their hands on 1 ball. They don't tackle though, they just put their shoulder down and ram the opposing player. If he goes down, great.

Interesting thing I noticed on the last play of the game - Darius Butler managed to miss 3 tackles on 3 different guys on that 1 play.

I dont think were getting carried away here, were just excited not to have to hold our breath every time the ball gets thrown to the outside. Bodden, Springs, Wilhite, and probably Butler too seem to be legit cover corners. Major major upgrade over Hobbs and O' No Neil...

Last edited:

Not trying to be a prick but have you been watching the NFL for the past 10 years? That is how people tackle these days. Who needs arms? :confused:

Even rational people tend to make too many assumptions based upon week one of the NFL season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back