Welcome to PatsFans.com

Time To Trust The Secondary

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Sep 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

The secondary will be counted on much more now. They are the strength of our defense, or so we need to hope. Having Chung and Wheatley as our #8 and #9 defensive backs is not too shabby. The secondary must be able to play some one on one to allow some blitzing (both run and pass blitzing).

As other have posted, it time for the experiment to stop. It is time to stop the run with base 3-4 with Thomas inside with Guyton, and with Woods and Burgess on the outside. Banta-Cain will play plenty on passing downs. Personally, I think Wright will get more starts at DE than Green, but it doesn't matter much. Both will get lots of reps, as will Ninkovich.
  2. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I agree, I think I could count the number of blitzes on one hand. This secondary couple play, time to attack with the entire front seven by sending in 5 6 players in on a blitz. If yesterday was any indication the DB's can cover pretty damn good.
  3. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

The jets don't have TO and Evans. Our corners will be out there by themselves sometimes.

4. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Yeah, the Pats DB's should win the 1 on 1 battles more often then not.
  5. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +256 / 3 / -2

#51 Jersey

When was the last time you could comfortably say that about a Patriots secondary ;)
  6. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +326 / 0 / -1

Wow, how quickly things change.

I still think our DL will be fine over time - obviously not as good as with Seymour, but much better than they played last night. Obviously, our LB corps is the weak part of the defense, which was true even before Mayo's unfortunate injury.

As long as we can keep Eric Alexander off the field, I think we have a chance.
  7. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

Ty Law and Otis Smith

8. bucky

bucky Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Let's not get carries away here. The secondary is not THAT good. They did seem to play very well yesterday. Good coverage and some big hits. Got their hands on 1 ball. They don't tackle though, they just put their shoulder down and ram the opposing player. If he goes down, great.

Interesting thing I noticed on the last play of the game - Darius Butler managed to miss 3 tackles on 3 different guys on that 1 play.
  9. mgteich

Ratings:
    +211 / 14 / -2

I don't for a moment think that Bodden and Springs are as good as Law and Smith. It's just been that long since we've had a really solid secondary.

10. slash83

slash83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I dont think were getting carried away here, were just excited not to have to hold our breath every time the ball gets thrown to the outside. Bodden, Springs, Wilhite, and probably Butler too seem to be legit cover corners. Major major upgrade over Hobbs and O' No Neil...
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  11. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Not trying to be a prick but have you been watching the NFL for the past 10 years? That is how people tackle these days. Who needs arms? :confused:
  12. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +718 / 44 / -47

Disable Jersey

Even rational people tend to make too many assumptions based upon week one of the NFL season.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.