PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to switch off WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya it seems like it is so ingrained in the Morning Show that they cannot help themselves. It is Milton's this and Dunkin Donuts that. They must think that they are doing the station a great service giving away these free ads but how about the listener....

WTF are you talking about? You guys do know that Ad revenue is what drives these stations right?

Ya it seems like it is so ingrained in the Morning Show that they cannot help themselves. It is Milton's this and Dunkin Donuts that. They must think that they are doing the station a great service giving away these free ads but how about the listener....

It is because Milton's and DD are giving them free stuff, some folks might call that prostitution.. in that world is called promotion.

That should lead to FEWER champions, since that eliminates opportunities for upsets. You're making poor arguments.

Hardly. For some odd reason you want to believe that MLB is competitively balanced and the lack of a salary cap/true revenue sharing, combined with a wide disparity in financial capability between teams, is not a serious problem. Further, you want to believe that this has nothing to do with the Fidelityinvestmentsyankees and Bankofamericasox -- the sport's two highest-bankrolled teams -- combining for relative dominance over a 15-year span. You need to look at WHY this happens (money) and WHY teams in other sports with cap/revenue sharing dominate (superior organization, talent development and coaching). In MLB, you can have the best front office, best coaching and best talent development system, and you're going to be left wanting if you can't afford to retain and hire the best free agents. Conversely, you can be mediocre as an organization and literally BUY a championship-caliber team in the free-agent market if you have the dough to do it.

Certainly, the good organizations will field a winner occasionally and knock off the rich teams. But there is absolutely no way you can tell me that the two teams used in this example would be as competitive as they have been without the ability to out-spend everyone else in free agency. That's BUYING your way to a shot at the World Series vs. EARNING it through smarts and organization on a level playing field. The NFL is the antithesis of MLB for that very reason. What's not to understand here?

WEEI sucks. The Sports Hub is where it's at!!!

Tired of Bruins and Red Sox talk?
WWLS-on Itunes
OKC' Sports Animal has some good combine talk--(G)

Hardly. For some odd reason you want to believe that MLB is competitively balanced and the lack of a salary cap/true revenue sharing, combined with a wide disparity in financial capability between teams, is not a serious problem. Further, you want to believe that this has nothing to do with the Fidelityinvestmentsyankees and Bankofamericasox -- the sport's two highest-bankrolled teams -- combining for relative dominance over a 15-year span. You need to look at WHY this happens (money) and WHY teams in other sports with cap/revenue sharing dominate (superior organization, talent development and coaching). In MLB, you can have the best front office, best coaching and best talent development system, and you're going to be left wanting if you can't afford to retain and hire the best free agents. Conversely, you can be mediocre as an organization and literally BUY a championship-caliber team in the free-agent market if you have the dough to do it.

Certainly, the good organizations will field a winner occasionally and knock off the rich teams. But there is absolutely no way you can tell me that the two teams used in this example would be as competitive as they have been without the ability to out-spend everyone else in free agency. That's BUYING your way to a shot at the World Series vs. EARNING it through smarts and organization on a level playing field. The NFL is the antithesis of MLB for that very reason. What's not to understand here?

Going back 15 years, which was your number, gives baseball as many different champions as football, and more than both hockey and baseball. Using 10 years as the cutoff shows baseball as the sport with the most different champions.

The Florida Marlins have won as many World Series titles in your 15 year span as the Red Sox have won, as have the Cardinals and Phillies.

In the past 10 years, Oakland and Minnesota have both made the postseason 5 times, despite being only #24 and #22 in average payroll respectively. Colorado (#21), Florida (#20) and Tampa Bay (#28) have all gone to the World Series.

BaseballAmerica.com: Majors: Major League Preview: Revenue Sharing Is Making An Impact

It's not a matter of what I believe. It's a matter of the facts.

Last edited:
In the past 10 years, Oakland and Minnesota have both made the postseason 5 times, despite being only #24 and #22 in average payroll respectively. Colorado (#21), Florida (#20) and Tampa Bay (#28) have all won World Series titles.

Did you mean went to the world series? neither team has won a world series.

Did you mean went to the world series? neither team has won a world series.

:bricks: Thanks. I'll edit the mis-type. I meant to type "won league titles and gone to the WS", but I was trying to do too many things at once.. That's what I get for not proofreading.

Last edited:
Last week as the CBA deadline loomed there no talk about it at all that I could find on WEEI on my morning commute. Just baseball and the usual asinine banter. The Sports Hub had a little with Gresh and Zo at mid day. But each morning WFAN had 100% NFL on my 40 minute commute; I got more Patriots info on a NYC station than the local stations!

Sure it is the start of Spring training but change things around. Let's say it was the start of the Patriot training camp but the MLB was facing a lockout and the FA period had started...what would WEEI have on? Baseball speculation and complaints 100% of the time....not a peep on the Patriots (unless something bad happened).

Anyone expecting WEEI to talk draft hasn't been paying attention, they don't and won't, they even had Felger do their draft day coverage a couple of years ago and his opening remark on the broadcast was that he hated the draft, that talking about it gave him "an ice cream headache" and asked listeners to call in and discuss the Bruins, Celtics, and Sox so he could avoid talking about the draft he was supposedly covering.

I remember that; that's when I started to realize what a DB he was...it was sooo frustrating trying to get coverage....

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes