PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to switch off WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone expecting WEEI to talk draft hasn't been paying attention, they don't and won't, they even had Felger do their draft day coverage a couple of years ago and his opening remark on the broadcast was that he hated the draft, that talking about it gave him "an ice cream headache" and asked listeners to call in and discuss the Bruins, Celtics, and Sox so he could avoid talking about the draft he was supposedly covering. WEEI will be almost all Sox and Celtics until the next football game is played, so folks who really only care about the Patriots, like me, shouldn't bother with it. Getting pissed about it is a waste of time, it is what it is, and truth be told it actually is what most listeners want imo.

Last edited:
WEEI has ex-football players like DeOssie, Smerlas and Brown as rotating co-hosts. It has Patriots Monday and Patriots Friday during the season, where multiple Patriots players come on for interviews. It has a weekly show with Belichick during the season. WEEI talks plenty of football.

This isn't about balance for you, it's about football talk. Hell, if you want to talk balance, where's your complaining about the lack of basketball talk on 98.5, especially during the trainwreck hours of 2-6?

Your argument is veering a bit OT. First of all, we're talking about THIS time of year, not during football season. Secondly, yes it is about "balance" insofar as football talk is concerned. Myself (and others here) simply are decrying 'EEI's near-TOTAL immersion in baseball around the clock beginning now and on through the summer. It's not what the public demands, it's what they do because they have a contract with the Bankofamericasox. You find more balanced coverage of all the sports on the Hub, including occasional football talk this time of year.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me? They talk for six months about who will bat 2nd in lineup but can't talk about the draft?. Fred is right, radio in this area sucks. Baseball is a very boring sport and baseball talk is even worse. If someone started a real football oriented show in this area it would destroy the baseball stations(98.5, Weei)

Oh, I pretty much agree with your post (I gave up on the radio a long time ago), except I find baseball dull only until August-ish.

I still stand by my statement that there is literally nothing to talk about now with the NFL except very abstract (because of the CBA) "sign/draft this guy" type of stuff. I know some people get off on that stuff, but it won't appeal to too many people. I guess we can still ***** and moan, and point fingers, about the lost season last year...

If these stations are ignoring stuff of substance, then that would suck...but it would also be par for the course. It's like complaining about the winter weather in New England; you know what you're getting.

Last edited:
Your argument is veering a bit OT. First of all, we're talking about THIS time of year, not during football season. Secondly, yes it is about "balance" insofar as football talk is concerned. Myself (and others here) simply are decrying 'EEI's near-TOTAL immersion in baseball around the clock beginning now and on through the summer. It's not what the public demands, it's what they do because they have a contract with the Bankofamericasox. You find more balanced coverage of all the sports on the Hub, including occasional football talk this time of year.

My argument wasn't OT at all. What's more, and as I noted, you're not griping about balance. If you were, you'd be pointing out the lack of basketball coverage on 98.5, particularly during the 2-6 hours. Both stations generally cover the same major stories on a daily basis. The biggest difference between the two stations, besides the quality of the hosts, is that WEEI has more basketball talk and 98.5 has more hockey talk.

Look, people are free to choose their favorites, and crap wins as often as not. Dangerous Housewives surviving this long is evidence of that. If people want to listen to the crap on 98.5, more power to them. I just don't see why there's a reason to be making false or misleading complaints against WEEI in support of such decisions.

Last edited:
My argument wasn't OT at all. What's more, and as I noted, you're not griping about balance. If you were, you'd be pointing out the lack of basketball coverage on 98.5, particularly during the 2-6 hours. Both stations generally cover the same major stories on a daily basis. The biggest difference between the two stations, besides the quality of the hosts, is that WEEI has more basketball talk and 98.5 has more hockey talk.

It is quite simple, WEEI is the flagship station for the Celtics and Red Sox, 98.5 is the flagship for the Bruins and Patriots... each has to pimp their product..

It is quite simple, WEEI is the flagship station for the Celtics and Red Sox, 98.5 is the flagship for the Bruins and Patriots... each has to pimp their product..

So FredFromDartmouth needs a mulligan?

Do people realize that the Red Sox have one of their best teams EVER going into spring training? In many media publications they are odds on favorites to go to the World Series. The team is absolutely stacked and WEEI/98.5 would be foolish not the eschew "NFL draft talk" in favor of Red Sox talk. I'm looking forward to the baseball season, and I'm pretty hopeful that it'll end much better than the Pats season....At least the Red Sox look look like they'll have some personality and some "duende", unlike the drones down in Foxboro :mad:

Do people realize that the Red Sox have one of their best teams EVER going into spring training? In many media publications they are odds on favorites to go to the World Series. The team is absolutely stacked and WEEI/98.5 would be foolish not the eschew "NFL draft talk" in favor of Red Sox talk. I'm looking forward to the baseball season, and I'm pretty hopeful that it'll end much better than the Pats season....At least the Red Sox look look like they'll have some personality and some "duende", unlike the drones down in Foxboro :mad:

Stick and ball ... Bankofamericasox ... warm beer and cold hotdogs ... spitting and crotch scratching ... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz ... :bricks:

I for one did not realize this. Unlike the OP I think it's fine for beesball talk to run rampant @ spring training for those who eschew a competitive meritocracy and are instead mesmerized by an endeavor where corporations buy the best players so as to crush the less financially backed opponents the vast majority of the time.

I for one did not realize this. Unlike the OP I think it's fine for beesball talk to run rampant @ spring training for those who eschew a competitive meritocracy and are instead mesmerized by an endeavor where corporations buy the best players so as to crush the less financially backed opponents the vast majority of the time.

Absolutely true. The only question now is: will the Bankofamericasox beat out the Fidelityinvestmentsyankees for the division title?

I was just in the car and both WEEI and 98.5 were talking about football.

This thread is dumb, I mean really dumb. Some of you don't like baseball, WE GET IT. For those of us that actually like all of the teams we welcome the baseball talk in freakin Spring Training over the draft which is 2 months away for a season that may or may not start on time.

I was just in the car and both WEEI and 98.5 were talking about football.

This thread is dumb, I mean really dumb. Some of you don't like baseball, WE GET IT. For those of us that actually like all of the teams we welcome the baseball talk in freakin Spring Training over the draft which is 2 months away for a season that may or may not start on time.

:Greatposting: Im so sick of people whining and the inferiority complex rearing its head around here.

I dont think there is much of a debate anymore. Although this is historically a baseball town, the Patriots are now sitting at the other head of the table. The proof is in the ratings.

Time to stop crying about the Sox getting coverage in the local media. We just had 6 MONTHS of non stop Pats talk on 98.5. Time to wrap it up and get into the Sox. Lots to be excited about with this team this summer. :rocker:

Baseball baseball and baseball up until the day before the draft. Screw them; I get better Patriots off-season coverage on WFAN (A.M. 660 for all you in southern MA and RI)--I am serious.

The Sports Hub is hockey and bball and baseball. You just know that Gresh and Zo would love to talk football but their bosses will not let them. At least we can expect some pre-draft coverage.

I listened to plenty of Patriots talk during their training camp when the baseball season was still going on. Didn't hear whining from Sox fans.
Football season is over. What is there to talk about?? The draft?? Please!! You'll get all the draft preview you'll need in the week or two leading up to it.
Fred you need to broaden your horizons or perhaps get a life?? ;)

I listened to plenty of Patriots talk during their training camp when the baseball season was still going on. Didn't hear whining from Sox fans.
Football season is over. What is there to talk about?? The draft?? Please!! You'll get all the draft preview you'll need in the week or two leading up to it.
Fred you need to broaden your horizons or perhaps get a life?? ;)

Ha most of the people here need to get a life. My problem is that I drive a lot and have to listen to those bozos.

One thing you will not hear on WEEI is their morning hosts camped out at the Patriots training camp doing non-stop Patriots. No they will be whining and complaining about some player-de-jour that they hate. Manny is gone so it is hard to predict who they will pick on. JD Drew? One of the catchers? Lackey? Dice-Cay? They will work on driving one of those poor slobs out of town...

The only time they will talk football is if something bad happens.

Last edited:
Ha most of the people here need to get a life. My problem is that I drive a lot and have to listen to those bozos.

One thing you will not hear on WEEI is their morning hosts camped out at the Patriots training camp doing non-stop Patriots. No they will be whining and complaining about some player-de-jour that they hate. Manny is gone so it is hard to predict who they will pick on. JD Drew? One of the catchers? Lackey? Dice-Cay? They will work on driving one of those poor slobs out of town...

Fred on this I will agree with you ... baseball callers tend to be a bit whiny and they are anal about the smallest of details. The calls are not broad based either ... D&C on WEEI generate the theme for the day and the other shows follow suit. There have been entire days to someone taking a called strike three without swinging the bat. :rofl:

I am on the road a lot also ... I listen sporadically - I have found refuge in WBZ 1030 ... they repeat but sometimes traffic on the 3's is better than whiny cranky fans calling in.

What is the "Jug handle" :confused3:
When traffic is backed up to Columbia road you are screwed if driving alone.

Last edited:

Fred nails it again.

Fred on this I will agree with you ... baseball callers tend to be a bit whiny and they are anal about the smallest of details. The calls are not broad based either ... D&C on WEEI generate the theme for the day and the other shows follow suit. There have been entire days to someone taking a called strike three without swinging the bat. :rofl:

I am on the road a lot also ... I listen sporadically - I have found refuge in WBZ 1030 ... they repeat but sometimes traffic on the 3's is better than whiny cranky fans calling in.

What is the "Jug handle" :confused3:
When traffic is backed up to Columbia road you are screwed if driving alone.

Yes, I listen to 1030 exclusively in my vehicle. Sports talk radio is dumb on both local stations. I do like the national flair of 98.5 after midnight.

bring back pete!bring back pete!

bring back pete!bring back pete!

Tom Brady said ... "I Love Pete".

Bring back Coach Coletta while you're at it ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down