PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to involve Maroney in passing game more

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyManny

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
I just noticed Maroney only has 6 catches (for 76 yards) this season. I think it's time to get him more and more involved in the passing game. If this guy gets the ball with any room to run, it's guaranteed yardage.

I'm not saying Maroney should take over Faulk's duties, but we need to start involving Maroney in the passing attack, whether screens or just dumping the ball off to the guy. He's just so lethal.

BradyManny2344 said:
I just noticed Maroney only has 6 catches (for 76 yards) this season. I think it's time to get him more and more involved in the passing game. If this guy gets the ball with any room to run, it's guaranteed yardage.

I'm not saying Maroney should take over Faulk's duties, but we need to start involving Maroney in the passing attack, whether screens or just dumping the ball off to the guy. He's just so lethal.
I believe they have. He's lined i the slot multiple times throughout the season. This has been even when Faulk is in the one back set.

Personally I think they need to put a fullback to block for Maroney when he runs, get out of the one back set till he gets more seasoned.

I love what they're doing with these two. They seem to be using Dillon more in the 1st half and then Maroney more in the 2nd half. That way they are preserving Dillon for later in the season and slowly working in Maroney in terms of experience.

What I don't understand is why they don't fix the feild. I think it's hindering both of them.

I think it is going to be increasingly harder to get the ball into the flat as the Miami defense was able to knock down quite a few passes and now other teams will be trying to do that as well.

I agree. Imagine having Maroney in there on 3rd down, defense would guess run, and then throw a screen pass to him. I believe he already has a 30 or 40 yard reception. He is quite dangerous.

Faulk's hands are unrivaled out of the backfield, but Maroney can do a lot more damage once it is in his hands. I'd run a screen pass to Maroney at least once a game. He could break one.

BradyManny2344 said:
Faulk's hands are unrivaled out of the backfield, but Maroney can do a lot more damage once it is in his hands. I'd run a screen pass to Maroney at least once a game. He could break one.

Man, are we spoiled or what ? Faulk has great hands, and has even split out wide as a receiver, Dillon has broken some nice screen passes in the past, and now we have Maroney, who can bring it to the house on any touch (run, catch, return). It's a great time to be a Pats fan.

Didja notice in the Miami game they had Maroney and Faulk both in the backfield out of pro-set? The only time I noticed it, I think they both just blocked, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

belichickaholic said:
I love what they're doing with these two. They seem to be using Dillon more in the 1st half and then Maroney more in the 2nd half. That way they are preserving Dillon for later in the season and slowly working in Maroney in terms of experience.

What I don't understand is why they don't fix the feild. I think it's hindering both of them.

I think it is going to be increasingly harder to get the ball into the flat as the Miami defense was able to knock down quite a few passes and now other teams will be trying to do that as well.

I agree. Another thing is that by using Dillon in the first half is that he beat up and wears down the defense, which allows Maroney to get some of those big chunks of yards in the second half with his fresh legs.

FSUPatsFan said:
I agree. Another thing is that by using Dillon in the first half is that he beat up and wears down the defense, which allows Maroney to get some of those big chunks of yards in the second half with his fresh legs.

Great theory, but it doesn't always work. I cite the Miami game. IMO Cory should have carried way more in the second half.

I agree it's a beautiful time to be a Pats fan, for running the football. I also think our (this BBS's) tweak ideas exist already in the playbook, and "at least once per game" of anything is a little silly to dictate without knowledge of what else is available, what weakness in a given opponent the Pats hope to exploit, etc. etc. etc. I know my opinion of this is frustrating and unsatisfying, but I think the Pats know what they're doing (which is why we as Pats fans get to ***** that we're not 5-0, winning by 20 points a game, and some other fans have to ***** about being 0-5.)

Love to see him in screens more often, sure. But what does the staff see regarding his ability to catch and run, versus Faulk's and Dillon's? What is so unsatisfactory about handing or pitching him the ball, given his stats thus far running the ball? Is he our best option to run screens? How well's he doing it in practice?

Something tells me that what looks nonsensical to us, might be the result of observation of many more reps on the part of the coaches. Of course, we've only got 5 games to go by... any of this has plenty of time to change, if in fact change in this regard is good.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Love to see him in screens more often, sure. But what does the staff see regarding his ability to catch and run, versus Faulk's and Dillon's? What is so unsatisfactory about handing or pitching him the ball, given his stats thus far running the ball? Is he our best option to run screens? How well's he doing it in practice?

At almost 13 yards a catch, I say Maroney has proven he can be a viable option out of the backfield despite limited catches. I don't know how much of his 76 receiving yards are on screens, however. I seem to recall him turning nothing into something on a few receiving plays in the Denver game.

Last edited:
BradyManny2344 said:
At almost 13 yards a catch, I say Maroney has proven he can be a viable option out of the backfield despite limited catches. I don't know how much of his 76 receiving yards are on screens, however. I seem to recall him turning nothing into something on a few receiving plays in the Denver game.

Or by the same token, 13 yards a catch could be the result of only targeting him the 6 times he gets open. How often does he line up in the slot or run a route out of the backfield, to get those 6 touches?

At this point I'm devil's advocating, and stipulate to that point. Appreciate the point about him making something out of nothing on catches v. Denver.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
How often does he line up in the slot or run a route out of the backfield, to get those 6 touches?

That's a good point. I don't think we'll see Maroney do that anytime soon.

NEM said:
Another puzzle that makes no sense in trying to figure out McDaniels. Maroney was a threat as a pass receiver out of the backfield in college. Some of his highlight tapes showing him after the reception are just amazing.

Just another weapon that is being mishandled by McDaniels, in my humble opinion, of course.

Actually Maroney was rarely utilized as a receiver in college.

NEM said:
Another puzzle that makes no sense in trying to figure out McDaniels. Maroney was a threat as a pass receiver out of the backfield in college. Some of his highlight tapes showing him after the reception are just amazing.

Just another weapon that is being mishandled by McDaniels, in my humble opinion, of course.

No disrespect NEM, but who was the last offensive co-ordinator that you liked ? Knute Rockne ? Also, I think Maroney had less than 30 receptions in his career at Minny. Not that he can't be used that way, but he wasn't used that way in college.

I like to see Faulk, Dillon, Maroney, and Evans all get involved in the passing game - spread it around, so the defense doesn't know what's coming...

DC, they used to do that with something called "receivers"...

;)

scott99 said:
No disrespect NEM, but who was the last offensive co-ordinator that you liked ? Knute Rockne ? Also, I think Maroney had less than 30 receptions in his career at Minny. Not that he can't be used that way, but he wasn't used that way in college.

Actually it doesnt matter what the facts are, when NEM says Lomo was a huge catch threat it must be true. How dare you dobt him.

NEM said:
Its not the quantity that counts, its the quality. There were some awesome video highlights of him taking slot passes, screen passes, and then what he did after the catch were amazing.

I think that if we dont utilize him this way, its a big mistake.
Ya david terrell had a couple 100 yard receiving games and heath evans tore up miami for a ton of yardage once, but quanity doesn't count.

Maroney's College receiving stats,

2005 17/170 1TD
2004 3/16 0TD
2003 1/11 0TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back