PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to end it, release Branch now !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Look, if he's going to sit for 10 games, and then come back as if nothing happened, he's going to cause a major distraction. Right now, he is causing a major distraction. I know it's not the popular thing, but cutting him right now probably makes a lot of sense, why drag it out any longer. In the long run, the Pats will not get what they want, they won't get a #1 and a mid round pick, they'll be lucky if they get a #2 pick (I really don't think that will happen). Most teams know that the Pats are stuck in a bad situation right now, so they will try to take advantage, I say cut the bastard and sign another WR.

When you have an old wallet you probably throw that out in the middle of the street because you're tired of it . . . even if it has $100 in it. The player is worth something, you don't just throw him out.

scott99 said:
Look, if he's going to sit for 10 games, and then come back as if nothing happened, he's going to cause a major distraction. Right now, he is causing a major distraction. I know it's not the popular thing, but cutting him right now probably makes a lot of sense, why drag it out any longer. In the long run, the Pats will not get what they want, they won't get a #1 and a mid round pick, they'll be lucky if they get a #2 pick (I really don't think that will happen). Most teams know that the Pats are stuck in a bad situation right now, so they will try to take advantage, I say cut the bastard and sign another WR.

Sorry but this is really silly. We're going to get at LEAST a 2nd rounder - you can't possibly NOT know this. Why would we give up Branch and get NOTHING for him?

Last edited:
scott99 said:

Dissection of your post advances one succinct antiphon. Put down the crack pipe! Seriously though, there are two important reasons why I think your wrong. First, you don't throw away value. BB and SP certainly will not just release a sure, high round pick compensation (or at least their track record leaves no doubt to that). Second, every player will now know that these tactics work with the Patriots. Hey, I don't like my contract, or at least the last year of it, so just sit out and cause trouble to get what I want. That's even more troubling. I think Branch needs to be held onto for a while, for that reason, unless the compensation is becomes too tempting.

At worst Branch wins the grievance and we get a second round pick.

Yep. One thing must be clear by the end of this: Branch is not Seymour. So, unless, you're Seymour, think twice about a holdout. Realize you may just be bargaining within your rights, but that the Pats have the same abililty, and they will damn well use it if you get unreasonable, from their point of view.

It's just business, dude. And if ten weeks of splinters in your hindquarters is a business tool, they have every right to use it. Beyond that, just watch your value fall vis a vis other teams as the Pats hold on to you. Halo effect from Super BowlXXXVIIII? Are you kidding me? It'll be two years since then before anybody comes calling... and one "star" receiver later.

Once Tommy hooks up with someone this year as his "favorite receiver" -- whether Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell-after-the-hands-transplant, or even Watson, and comes out with his 3500-4000 and yards and 24-28 TDs, see what happens to the halo effect. You'll be just another system receiver... playing for someone like Tennessee or Washington, at less than the 36 mil you're trying to collect.

Hey, it's business. You know, Mr. K has to feed his family and all (anybody for mac n cheese???)

PFnV

Yep. One thing must be clear by the end of this: Branch is not Seymour. So, unless, you're Seymour, think twice about a holdout. Realize you may just be bargaining within your rights, but that the Pats have the same abililty, and they will damn well use it if you get unreasonable, from their point of view.

It's just business, dude. And if ten weeks of splinters in your hindquarters is a business tool, they have every right to use it. Beyond that, just watch your value fall vis a vis other teams as the Pats hold on to you. Halo effect from Super BowlXXXVIIII? Are you kidding me? It'll be two years since then before anybody comes calling... and one "star" receiver later.

Once Tommy hooks up with someone this year as his "favorite receiver" -- whether Gabriel, Jackson, Caldwell-after-the-hands-transplant, or even Watson, and comes out with his 3500-4000 and yards and 24-28 TDs, see what happens to the halo effect. You'll be just another system receiver... playing for someone like Tennessee or Washington, at less than the 36 mil you're trying to collect.

Hey, it's business. You know, Mr. K has to feed his family and all (anybody for mac n cheese???)

PFnV

Come on, man, think before posting. There's no way they'll cut him. He still has value, even if it isn't what they want.

scott99 posted a bad thread. We should expell him from this board. That's what your saying isnt it? Time to end it, release scott now !!

I've been waiting to bring this up. One thing I haven't noticed discussed much yet, but that interests me, is Branch's potential impact on the Pats from game 10 on.

It's the most likely scenario that Branch comes back then (rather than being traded or reporting earlier) IMO. If that's how it works out, what will his impact be? Hopefully the offense will be high-performing already, and Branch's coming back could take it to the next level and be a huge boost going into the playoffs. Hey, we could just pretend he was PUPed. I'd rather have the guy for only the second half of the season than the first.

Patjew said:
I've been waiting to bring this up. One thing I haven't noticed discussed much yet, but that interests me, is Branch's potential impact on the Pats from game 10 on.

It's the most likely scenario that Branch comes back then (rather than being traded or reporting earlier) IMO. If that's how it works out, what will his impact be? Hopefully the offense will be high-performing already, and Branch's coming back could take it to the next level and be a huge boost going into the playoffs. Hey, we could just pretend he was PUPed. I'd rather have the guy for only the second half of the season than the first.

I have a very difficult time envisioning Deion ever playing for the Pats again, he has burned a lot of bridges through his idiot agent...he may want to come back, but I just can't see it right now. I think this will be resolved soon, prior to any decision by an arbitrator.

The first check that Branch will write a check for with any big contract he signs, will be to the Patriots for all the fine money he owes

You better beleive they will make him pay every cent of it. A precedent must be set that you can't whine, cry and conive you way out of town without paying a price and without adequate compensation.

We must release Branch because he is a distraction!!

Remember what a distraction Terry Glenn was!!

Oh, we won the Super Bowl that year, didn't we.

Never mind.:D

I would assume he would have to pony up the fines before being able to report back. For his sake, I hope he has saved enough money in the last 4 years to write a check for $500,000.

Or maybe Chayut could float him a loan by selling some of the fancy silverware he got at his wedding.

I can understand your concerns about a potential distraction but
he is not in the locker room .... those guys have more important
things to think about and I believe Branch is not one of them.

Huh?
We're making money off the guy as long as he doesn't report.
Besides, if they released him now think of the message it would send. Pout and you get your way. Sorry, I don't believe in that.

(edited for a spelling error)

Last edited:
Take the Jets #2 and let him go. It will be 15 picks ahead of Seattle's. He'll never be the same with their QB's

Patjew said:

It's he most likely scenario that Branch comes back then (rather than being traded or reporting earlier) IMO. If that's how it works out, what will his impact be? Hopefully the offense will be high-performing already, and Branch's coming back could take it to the next level and be a huge boost going into the playoffs. Hey, we could just pretend he was PUPed. I'd rather have the guy for only the second half of the season than the first.

I'm with you PatJew---Branch could be a nice boost for the playoff run, particularly if we have any injuries to the WRs. BB couldn't care less if a player hates him, as long as he performs, and Branch will have every incentive to perform. No doubt Brady will give him a big hug and he'll be embraced by his teamates because they'll think he can help them WIN. His trade value will be just as good as a franchised tagged player after the season, might as well get one last run out of him.

I don't see Branch being a distraction to the team at all once the season starts. BB will just tell the team that he'll be back in week 10 and there's nothing left to worry about. He'd only be a distraction to this message board and the media, but BB doesn't care about that.

1) The arbiter may rule that we must accept a trade.
2) He could show up at Game 10 and be inactive for the rest of the year, and then we'd play this nonsense game next year, again. We could choose to franchise and trade, or simply cut late in the year and take the 2008 comp pick.
3) I would not play him at Game 10. He would not be in game shape, and he would indeed be a major distraction.

In all case we would end up with a pick for Branch.

Or, Branch could lose the arbiter's ruling and come to an agreement with the patriots.

Yeah, as much as I'd love for them to stick it to Branch and let him rot on the bench when he comes back, assuming it plays out that way, it's tough to ignore thay type of an upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes