PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time Out !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

in 12 we trust

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Being at the game sitting above that endzone, I was one of what seemed like hundreds of Patriots fans screaming "time out" when we saw James Sanders walk away from the island he put our 2nd best corner Ellis Hobbs on when Burress lined up on him for the game winning td. I understand the blitz was called, (which Sanders got no pressure at all), but like Moss being one on one on the Pats td, as soon as the ball was snapped, the game was over. The choice to have to defend the slant or the fade really didn't matter as the were gonna score either way. Hobbs got hung out to dry and the coaches shouldve known better.

Hobbs got hung out to dry and the coaches shouldve known better.

Don't question the coaching staff or you will be called a front-running bandwagoner, a clown, a dum dum and oh yeah, delusional. Don't you dare question the coaching staff. Our coordinators have been on for 5 playoff wins and zero SB titles. What gives you the right? Our coaches tell their men to "do their job" and if they are out of position or fail to make a play then that's all on the players. Our coaches are infallible.

(see the "Reality Check" thread)

I know so many people are giving Hobbs grief about that final play. He was burned, of course, on a good move by Burress, but he should never have been in that situation.

I guess Im looking for answers like the rest of us....... as i never claim to be a "football guru"....it was amazing the combined knowledge of the fans, Giants and Patriots, around us to all see what was coming before it happened...and as the ball snapped.....one unified "NO !!!!!!!!!!" was screamed among us Pats fans.......except for me.....i threw out a "STOP THE FIGHT " it was all i could think of other than "FIRE !!!" the car wreck was happening...but i couldn't look away !!!!

Don't question the coaching staff or you will be called a front-running bandwagoner, a clown, a dum dum and oh yeah, delusional. Don't you dare question the coaching staff. Our coordinators have been on for 5 playoff wins and zero SB titles. What gives you the right? Our coaches tell their men to "do their job" and if they are out of position or fail to make a play then that's all on the players. Our coaches are infallible.

(see the "Reality Check" thread)

Valid specific questions or criticism are welcomed here, which unlike your silly RAC and Charlie rants, this is. Would RAC have somehow stopped Bill from making the decision to send the house in that situation...I think not. And that was Bill's call. Otherwise, had he not agreed with it, he would in fact have called a TO.

Grow up.

I know so many people are giving Hobbs grief about that final play. He was burned, of course, on a good move by Burress, but he should never have been in that situation.

Correct call from the bench or not - doesn't it say something about Hobbs skills or rather his lack of skills that he "should never" be left one on one with a good WR in a big spot?

I guess Im looking for answers like the rest of us....... as i never claim to be a "football guru"....it was amazing the combined knowledge of the fans, Giants and Patriots, around us to all see what was coming before it happened...and as the ball snapped.....one unified "NO !!!!!!!!!!" was screamed among us Pats fans.......except for me.....i threw out a "STOP THE FIGHT " it was all i could think of other than "FIRE !!!" the car wreck was happening...but i couldn't look away !!!!

Where were you sitting....I was in 118....I was the one screaming all game surounded by corporate giants fans that just wanted me to shut up. One of them even said to the other you think he will shut up if I give him a grand. (he wasn't really offering and if he was I would have shut up moved to seats over and had my bro start screaming in his ear.)

and the play was right infront of me and Plaxico was where I was looking as I knew we had a mismatch their before the snap.

In hindsight I wish a took off down the section and jumped on the field to make the play.....I feel like everyone in the whole stadium new the play was going to Burress.

DAMN IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Correct call from the bench or not - doesn't it say something about Hobbs skills or rather his lack of skills that he "should never" be left one on one with a good WR in a big spot?

No he just shouldn't be left all alone to handle a 6'5" receiver in the red zone when theres a high likelihood of a fade route over his head.

No he just shouldn't be left all alone to handle a 6'5" receiver in the red zone when theres a high likelihood of a fade route over his head.

Don't blame the coaches though. Blame his parents for not producing a taller kid :D

I wasn't at the game, so I don't know what the mood was there..

In my mind, you have to save those timeouts for a potential last drive unless you have absolutely no other choice. Of course, since we decided to run 4 straight deep passes, it didn't matter.

I was way up in 419 !!! I spent half the game with some good Patritos fans....and some Giants fans who bought there tickets from Patriots club seat holders who apparently have seen enough Super Bowls and want to make money......I for one, being 44, grew up with the Patriots being abused by Namath and O.J. praying to finish .500 and have never and will never not appreciate how good the times are now........

I was way up in 419 !!! I spent half the game with some good Patritos fans....and some Giants fans who bought there tickets from Patriots club seat holders who apparently have seen enough Super Bowls and want to make money......I for one, being 44, grew up with the Patriots being abused by Namath and O.J. praying to finish .500 and have never and will never not appreciate how good the times are now........

While I am a lot younger than you I shared in some hard times too.

My father was taking me to my first games when this team was at its worst....late 80's early 90'2 when they were 1-15 and I fell in love with them/the game despite the brand they gave us so I will never not apreciate the good times.

I know 1990.....ouch....but all in all....i am still very disgusted in the outcome, but when we needed Brady to step up...he did.....and a fluke catch and some bad luck by our defense which had played well all game made the difference........ I still can't believe it and have thrown myself into the Celtics like never before to try to ease the pain......I can't imagine what the players are living with knowing that they were 35 seconds from immortality.......that feeling goes right to the grave...

As I posted in numerous threads, would it have been too much to ask of stubborn BB to bite the bullet on his CB rule and simply put Asante over on Plax down inside the redzone ? That should have been done ASAP. Never mind single coverage on the one of the best redzone options in football. The coaches and their decisions did us in all game.

As I posted in numerous threads, would it have been too much to ask of stubborn BB to bite the bullet on his CB rule and simply put Asante over on Plax down inside the redzone ? That should have been done ASAP. Never mind single coverage on the one of the best redzone options in football. The coaches and their decisions did us in all game.

If you think Asante is any more capable than Hobbs of matching up 1-on-1 with the significantly taller Burress in the Red Zone, you're wrong. The issue wasn't the guy on him so much as it was the fact that he was on an island, so that when he stumbled a bit the play was over.

Hobbs has been left one-on-one against plenty of good receivers in plenty of big spots, and held his own. I wish some posters would actually think before they type, it might prove useful...:rolleyes:

Now, you probably shouldn't leave the 5'9" Ellis Hobbs one-on-one down by or in the endzone against the 6'5" Plaxico Burress, who's good at taking the ball out of the air, especially if you've got the blitz on. Oh, and even Plaxico was shutdown for most of that game (2 catches for 27 yards and a TD).

Last edited:
If you think Asante is any more capable than Hobbs of matching up 1-on-1 with the significantly taller Burress in the Red Zone, you're wrong. The issue wasn't the guy on him so much as it was the fact that he was on an island, so that when he stumbled a bit the play was over.

You're actually correct about this. I think Hobbs has better jump ball/endzone ability than Samuel. Ellis has a 42+ inch vertical leap, while Samuel isn't close, and we've seen Samuel get beat on jump balls in the past. Hobbs was the guy for the job, but he shouldn't have been alone in that situation.

Being at the game sitting above that endzone, I was one of what seemed like hundreds of Patriots fans screaming "time out" when we saw James Sanders walk away from the island he put our 2nd best corner Ellis Hobbs on when Burress lined up on him for the game winning td. I understand the blitz was called, (which Sanders got no pressure at all), but like Moss being one on one on the Pats td, as soon as the ball was snapped, the game was over. The choice to have to defend the slant or the fade really didn't matter as the were gonna score either way. Hobbs got hung out to dry and the coaches shouldve known better.

That is just depressing. Dammmmmmm.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye