Welcome to PatsFans.com

Time Magazine: An Interview With Iran's President

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by maverick4, Sep 19, 2006.

1. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Link at the bottom. Some choice excerpts:

...He was more generous and accommodating when it came to discussing the U.S., saying his May letter to Bush was a genuine effort to reach out. He spoke highly of Americans, based on his trip to New York. "My general impression is that the people of the United States are good people ... The people of the United States are also seeking peace, love, friendship and justice."...
    TIME: Do you feel any connection with President Bush, since he is also a religious man, a strong Christian?
    AHMADINEJAD: I've heard about that. But there are many things which take place and are inconsistent with the teachings of Jesus Christ in this world.
    TIME: Why do your supporters chant "Death to America"?
    AHMADINEJAD: When they chanted that slogan, it means they hate aggression, and they hate bullying tactics, and they hate violations of the rights of nations and discrimination. I recommended to President Bush that he can change his behavior, then everything will change.
    TIME: How do you think the American people feel when they hear Iranians shouting "Death to America" and the President of Iran does not criticize this?
    AHMADINEJAD: The nations do not have any problems. What is the role of the American people in what is happening in the world? The people of the United States are also seeking peace, love, friendship and justice.
    TIME: But if Americans shouted "Death to Iran," Iranians would feel insulted.
    AHMADINEJAD: If the government of Iran acted in such a way, then [the American people] have this right.
    TIME: Why won't you agree to suspend enrichment of uranium as a confidence-building measure?
    AHMADINEJAD: Whose confidence should be built?
    TIME: The world's?
    AHMADINEJAD: The world? The world? Who is the world? The United States? The U.S. Administration is not the entire world. Europe does not account for one-twentieth of the entire world. When I studied the provisions of the NPT [Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty], nowhere did I see it written that in order to produce nuclear fuel, we need to win the support or the confidence of the United States and some European countries.
    TIME: Do you believe the Jewish people have a right to their own state?
    AHMADINEJAD: We do not oppose it. In any country in which the people are ready to vote for the Jews to come to power, it is up to them. In our country, the Jews are living and they are represented in our Parliament. But Zionists are different from Jews.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1535827,00.html?cnn=yes

Last edited: Sep 19, 2006