Welcome to PatsFans.com

Time Mag presidential poll

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

TIME Poll: Giuliani's Lead Widens

[​IMG]

If Presidential campaigning were about something other than politics, how would the current crop of candidates fare? Take speed dating. Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani, who is on wife no. 3, was judged most likely to be best at the new matchmaking technique — outdistancing Barack Obama by 3 points and New York Senator Hillary Clinton by 4, in a new TIME poll. Guiliani came in second when voters were asked to name which presidential candidate they'd most like as a teammate on The Apprentice (5 points behind Hillary Clinton). But asked which candidate would be the best boss, they picked Giuliani again — at 18%, just ahead of both Obama and Clinton.

Of such little things, perhaps, are Presidential nominees made. According to the new TIME poll, Giuliani now leads his closest rival for the Republican nomination, Senator John McCain of Arizona, by 14 points (38% to 24%) among registered Republicans and those who are leaning toward the G.O.P. In January, a TIME poll showed McCain ahead by 4 points — a startling swing of 18 points.

The core of Giuliani's strength is in the Northeast, where he has a 50% to 23% advantage over McCain. But even in the West, he leads McCain by 5 points. The poll, conducted for Time by Schulman, Ronca & Bucuvalas Public Affairs (SRBI), surveyed 1,144 registered voters by phone from Feb. 23-26. It has a margin of error of +/-3 percentage points.

Third among the Republicans in Time's poll, with 12%, was former House Speaker Newt Gingrich; former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney was at 7%. The rest of the Republican field polled in the very low single digits. If the G.O.P. field were limited to Giuliani, McCain and Romney, the former mayor would have a slightly more commanding lead, 49% to McCain?s 30%, with Romney at 12%.

As for the Democrats, Clinton's lead has eroded since the last TIME poll. Obama has closed to within 12 points (36% to 24%), gaining seven points since January, a reflection perhaps of the dust-up over anti-Clinton comments by Hollywood mogul David Geffen, who is now supporting Obama. The African-American component of the Democrats polled appears to be evenly split between the two senators. Former Vice President Al Gore, who has not declared his candidacy, was in third place, at 13%, while former North Carolina Senator John Edwards kept a firm hold of fourth place with 11%.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1594847,00.html

2. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

3. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

4. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

means nothing at this point...

and i still believe Al Gore will run... he's just being fashionably late...

5. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Even if he runs, I don't think he has a chance.

6. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The same was said about Bush after the rest of the world found out what a complete lying imbecile he is. I'm not just saying that because I think he's a traitor. Many of my Republican and Democrat friends still can't believe he won. I knew he could win when the Dems dumped Dean on his head and called up Kerry to run. Lots of things happen between now and November 2008.

7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

he's a better candidate for the Dems than any of them...

and i believe he'd destroy Rudi Guliani if it came to that...

8. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Guliani will get his when the knuckledraggers learn of his extensive social liberalism. I could live with Rudi, but he isn't as bright as some seem to think he is.

9. Real World

Ratings:
    +897 / 7 / -3

Oh, anything can happen, but aside from the bizarre, I think Al Gore is viewed as a type of has been/also ran to far too many people. IMO anyway. He'd certainly get the support of the far left, but a guy like Rudi would be too tough for him to beat in the middle. I think Rudi has a chance because of his appeal to the middle. It'll be how he recruits support from the far right that makes or breaks him. The far right would be less interested in him because of his very moderate positions, and because of his moral history.

10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, nevermind that he lost the popular vote by almost a half a million people... but, when you digest everything available about what happened in Florida in Nov. of 2000, are you really being honest with yourself when you say "he won?" ... Florida was won by Al Gore, and stolen by a cabal of GOP state officials, most notably Katherine Harris... but, i digress...

11. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +814 / 26 / -33

There is some stuff out there this AM about his draft dodging stuff, may not sit well with the righties.. still think he is a terrible choice, and cannot imagine how he will appeal to the right side of the Republican Party.

12. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 22 / -19

Giuliani is a great choice. Pro choice, pro gay, pro-gun control, appointed fairly liberal judges in New York City. I would seriously consider him. But, I think 10% of the Republicans might stay home, so I think he'd have difficulty defeating a Democrat.

I would not be surprised if their was darkhorse conservative who moved to the front of the Republican pack or if the religious right fielded a third party candidate.