PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For Some Mea Culpas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe, you wouldn't come in with that weak stuff the poster did.

I hope this signing bears fruit, but it's not like the Pats didn't address "stretching the field", that's why they moved up in the draft for Jackson.

There's a classy way to do things, like the way you post, and a juvenile way.

If you're going to come in here calling posters out by name and demanding apologies, you better be prepared to bring it.

By the way, where is mg@##$? I guess he had to go.:D :bricks:

Maybe the post wasn't meant for you? The reason the post sounded harsh was because of the harsh tone that some displayed to those of us who suggested an upgrade to the wr position was needed. IT WAS MEANT FOR THEM.

Actually they wanted to sign Stallworth last season as well, indicating that Belichick recognized the need for a proven deep threat even last year... but was forced to go into the season depending on Jackson for that.

What can't be denied is that as so many here were saying we were set at WR, Belichick and Pioli were working to bring in not one, but two WRs.

That speaks for itself, and I'd suggest anyone who believes otherwise show up at the press conference to ask BB why he'd be so stupid as to address the WR spot in free agency when everyone knows Caldwell and Gaffney have things all taken care of.

Thank you Joe.

Maybe the post wasn't meant for you? The reason the post sounded harsh was because of the harsh tone that some displayed to those of us who suggested an upgrade to the wr position was needed. IT WAS MEANT FOR THEM.

I'm sure if you read my posts, I qualify.

Nevertheless, can you tell me how selecting one fast, moderately high dollar receiver in 7 years proves something? I'm all ears.

By that logic, I guess I'm more right than you because our LB free agent makes more $$$.

I guess I should have said NYAH NYAH after the AFC championship game.:rolleyes:

Piss off. The major shortcoming here is your lack of understanding, not just of the Patriots, but of football.

We would have gone to the superbowl last year with the WRs we had if the defense didn't let Indy come back from what 21-3? The defense let Indy hold the ball for two drives of about 10 miutes each at the end of the half, and the start of the third quarter. And even then, all we needed was one stinking RB to gain a first down with two minutes and change left to play.

Much as your desparate need for someone to tell you how smart you are, signing two WRs proves as much as drafting two TEs last told us about how bad Graham and Watson are, or how drafting Left Tackles in one draft said something about Matt Light.

One more first down, or a defense that showed up in the second half of the AFCCG, neither of which have anything to do with WRs, and then our WR situation would be okay.

Try and look behind the obvious knee-jerk and look at decisions based on something other than "We made a bad move with WRs and I can prove it: look who many of the D had the flu" B.S.

Was the WR situation last year ideal? No.

Was it the weakness that kept us out of the Suerbowl? No.

If the D had one in the AFCCG one third of the good job they'd done in the regular season, we'd have 4 Lombardis in 6 seasons.

I don't know if I dissed you before, but just in case, consider this dissing you for your not watching the AFCCG (or understanding what happened and how we came to lose.)

HINT: It wasn't the refs, and it wasn't the WRs.

Not to steal JoeSixPack's thunder, but "Thank you for helping me illustrate the prevailing mentality around here for Deus Irae. Suffice to say, the coach and GM of the Patriots respectfully disagree with you. Thank God."

Well if I follow, the Patriots brass doesn't feel pressed to upgrade the DB's. I guess they don't feel that is an area of need since they didn't sign any DB's so far in free agency. But that is only based on the illogical logic postulated in this thread. Heck...based upon Beoli's actions in free agency, I wonder if we will even bother to draft a DB.

On the other hand....our LB's truly suxed last year....as evidenced by signing AD to the biggest FA contract. Darn....I didn't realize how much our LB corp really stunk it up.

For all those who were complaining about the OL (not me BTW), the illogical logic of this thread shows that you were wrong...wrong...wrong. Beoli must think our OL is dandy as is.

Morris and Brady are just 1 for 1 replacements....so hard to make any comments on that.

Some of the things postulated in this thread are like statistics, some people will use them to make them say whatever they want them to say. I will just take a wait/see and hope attitude on all the signings.

Please explain how Welker is a 'significant' upgrade to Brown.

You mean besides being 10 years younger, quicker, coming into the prime of his career at age 25 and coming off a 67 catch season compared to Brown's 43?

Other than that, you'd be right, he's not an upgrade over Brown - not that I think I said that anywhere, as I've been advocating for keeping Brown on the team.

Unless I missed something and Brown announced his retirement, Welker isn't replacing Brown, this year anyway - they both can play as far as I'm concerned.

As for the rest, nothing you stated in any way conflicts with what I had said, your snide remarks notwithstanding. They needed to find Brown's successor and they needed a speed receiver because Jackson may not be ready/capable to fill that role at any given point this season. Now, despite your protestations, they were able to manage last season without the speed receiver. Hopefully, we'll see an even better offensive season now that they have one.

That's great that nothing I said about needing to upgrade the WR corps conflicts with your comments. Why are you so defensive then?

Is it just me or does anyone feel like some of those arguing against upgrading the WR position before are actually pissed that BB signed Welker and Stallworth?

And as far as this great point about the fact we missed the Super Bowl by one game or one minute with our WRs - apparently that's preferable to making it to the Super Bowl and actually winning it thanks to a better WR corps?

What kindof logic is that?

Heck, in 1996 we actually made it one step further than this year with a QB named Drew Bledsoe. Do I really need to convince people that drafting a QB to upgrade that position a few years later was a wise move?

Last edited:
Not to steal JoeSixPack's thunder, but "Thank you for helping me illustrate the prevailing mentality around here for Deus Irae. Suffice to say, the coach and GM of the Patriots respectfully disagree with you. Thank God."

This thread is as stupid as your argument.

Just because we picked up an FA WR - THIS YEAR - doesn't mean that you were right LAST YEAR in October when all you "pay-any-cost-to-get-a big-name-player" ijits wanted BB to sell out the future of the franchise to get it.

If anything, this off season and this pickup in particular proves you dead WRONG. That the way to build and sustain a winning franchise is NOT to overspend because a) you have some perceived "emergency" or b) just cause you have money to burn.

Our hole at WR NOW had nothing to do with our situation at the end of the FA/draft last year. No one was freaking out in April when our projected top 4 WRs were Branch, Jackson, Caldwell and Brown.

But the way to build and sustain a winning franchise is exactly what Beoli did when faced with being stabbed in the back by Branch - they made the best they could out of the situation (1st round pick), made some good solid trades (Caldwell and Gaffney), but didn't break the bank. And considering the false starts (Gabriel), at the end of the day our offense did pretty good, as some of the more intelligent posters here have pointed out statistically.

Now look what saving that cash has done for us THIS off season. We are getting great FA pickups, at reasonable prices. Someone pointed out today that the Thomas deal is actually a lower percentage of the cap then when we signed Colvin. I am constantly amazed that Patriots fans, after ALL THE YEARS of observing how smart this front office is, freaks out when we let a high priced player go, and don't give immediately turn around and buy the highest priced flash-in-the-pan player thats available.

So unless you were prescient, posting in February of last year demanding a shiny new #1 FA WR (instead of the hysterical posts we all remember from the fall), the only people who should be singing mea cupla are the usual "sign him at any cost" Yank-Sox crowd.

And before anyone (not to be named) tries thundering about how they were "right about it all the time", they might want to use the board's 'Search' function on their own posts.

R

Just because we picked up an FA WR - THIS YEAR - doesn't mean that you were right LAST YEAR in October when all you "pay-any-cost-to-get-a big-name-player" ijits wanted BB to sell out the future of the franchise to get it.

If anything, this off season and this pickup in particular proves you dead WRONG. That the way to build and sustain a winning franchise is NOT to overspend because a) you have some perceived "emergency" or b) just cause you have money to burn.

Our hole at WR NOW had nothing to do with our situation at the end of the FA/draft last year. No one was freaking out in April when our projected top 4 WRs were Branch, Jackson, Caldwell and Brown.

But the way to build and sustain a winning franchise is exactly what Beoli did when faced with being stabbed in the back by Branch - they made the best they could out of the situation (1st round pick), made some good solid trades (Caldwell and Gaffney), but didn't break the bank. And considering the false starts (Gabriel), at the end of the day our offense did pretty good, as some of the more intelligent posters here have pointed out statistically.

Now look what saving that cash has done for us THIS off season. We are getting great FA pickups, at reasonable prices. Someone pointed out today that the Thomas deal is actually a lower percentage of the cap then when we signed Colvin. I am constantly amazed that Patriots fans, after ALL THE YEARS of observing how smart this front office is, freaks out when we let a high priced player go, and don't give immediately turn around and buy the highest priced flash-in-the-pan player thats available.

So unless you were prescient, posting in February of last year demanding a shiny new #1 FA WR (instead of the hysterical posts we all remember from the fall), the only people who should be singing mea cupla are the usual "sign him at any cost" Yank-Sox crowd.

And before anyone (not to be named) tries thundering about how they were "right about it all the time", they might want to use the board's 'Search' function on their own posts.

R

sure - go back and see my posts prior to the draft where I was pushing for Jackson because, even with Branch on the roster, I felt we needed a deep threat...mocked by many who said we had no need at WR only to have BB grab him in the 2nd round

... and then see that, even in camp, cautioning that he was a rookie, I advocated for a trade to bring in a veteran to add needed depth - Stallworth from NO would have been perfect for us last year

... then note how much flack I took for suggesting that the lack of a deep threat was causing offensive problems for us

... then note that even once the season was over, a ton of people continued to say that with Caldwell and Gaffney we were set at WR

...then note what BB had to "say" about all of that with his free agency moves.

that's the most amazing thing to me - that even prior to last week, we had so many people deludig themselves that WR wasn't an area that needed to be addressed in free agency.

Well, Bellicheck clearly disagreed

R

WTF are you talking about last year in October? I'm talking about after the playoffs 2007.

sure - go back and see my posts prior to the draft where I was pushing for Jackson because, even with Branch on the roster, I felt we needed a deep threat...mocked by many who said we had no need at WR only to have BB grab him in the 2nd round

Back at the start of FA and up to the draft, the the vast majority of this board (as well as the media) listed WR as a need. We had only 2 of 5 starters returning. It didn't take a genius to predict the Pats would address that position in one or the other. As for all the people "attacking" you for thinking we needed help at WR - I don't see it. Perhaps you could point out some threads. But I doubt it.

... and then see that, even in camp, cautioning that he was a rookie, I advocated for a trade to bring in a veteran to add needed depth - Stallworth from NO would have been perfect for us last year

Whoa whoa whoa. So many errors, so little time. a) Stalllworth was not available as a FA last year. He was traded to Philly for LB Simoneau and a pick. b) at 25, he was not a "veteran", and c) if he had been on the market, he probably would have cost a much larger percentage of our cap last year than this year. What starter would you have cut or traded ? Or the (much needed) depth in the secondary or LB corps ?

This year, Stallworth, a year after another injury and the substance abuse issue, comes to us at a reasonable cap hit at some risk. Can you name a WR last year with this much upside that we could pickup at a reasonable cost ? I doubt it. Walker and Lelie all went for big cash.

Also, by your logic here, you should still be unhappy; if Stallworth is a Branch replacement, shouldn't you be clamoring for another #1a (for lack of a better term) receiver ?

... then note how much flack I took for suggesting that the lack of a deep threat was causing offensive problems for us.

I know this is a favorite canard for some, but I've never seen a very convincing argument for this point of view. It's mostly made by revisionists fans who believe that Branch was the fastest receiver in the league, was double-teamed on every play, and played every game of every season. Certainly the stats alone don't support that point of view - last year or any other year. The Patriots haven't really ever had a competent "burner" ever in the Belichick era - and won consistently without it.

... then note that even once the season was over, a ton of people continued to say that with Caldwell and Gaffney we were set at WR

...then note what BB had to "say" about all of that with his free agency moves.

that's the most amazing thing to me - that even prior to last week, we had so many people deludig themselves that WR wasn't an area that needed to be addressed in free agency.

Well, Bellicheck clearly disagreed

Again, from what I read, most everyone feels that WR again is a position that needed to be addressed this off-season. If these mythical people are "attacking" you, perhaps you could point them out.

The only FA WR controversy that I have seen on this board is between those that think we should have "paid" Branch, or barring that, run out and overpay for the best available "Franchise #1" that we could lay our hands (e.g all the Moss threads), and those that wanted to address it in the offseason with either a quality-but-cheap FA or through the draft.

If you look closely at this acquisition, BB obviously chose the latter, wiser path. Technically, with the issues that Donte has had last year, those of you who were clamoring for the 1st course of action should be unhappy, as he is definitely not a proven commodity.

JSP, perhaps you are confusing those that are against signing huge cash deals for prima-donna WR's for "attacking" you ? Could be.

In any event, as I pointed out earlier, BB's acquisition of Stallworth in NO WAY validates that point of view. Or your desire to get another "#1a". Quite the opposite in fact.

I think that there has been enough revisionist history and self-congratulatory hot air (polite term) already on this thread.

R

Last edited:
You mean besides being 10 years younger, quicker, coming into the prime of his career at age 25 and coming off a 67 catch season compared to Brown's 43?

Other than that, you'd be right, he's not an upgrade over Brown - not that I think I said that anywhere, as I've been advocating for keeping Brown on the team.

Unless I missed something and Brown announced his retirement, Welker isn't replacing Brown, this year anyway - they both can play as far as I'm concerned.

I didn't claim that Welker was, or was not, an upgrade. My contention about your comment was the word significant. I fully understand that Troy is coming to the end of his career, and the team needs to bring in his replacement. That's why this was a common sense signing.

However, given that Brown managed to catch more passes than he had since 2002, while still managing some returns on special teams and working as a DB when needed, you'll forgive me if I don't find any upgrade of Welker from the Troy Brown of last year to be "significant" in the sense that you meant. After all, 28 out of 43 catches, or 65% were for 1st downs for Troy. Welker wasn't bad, at 33 out of 67, or 49%, but that's a 16% difference when it comes to moving the chains, and that's a pretty big gulf for slot receivers.

Again, replacing a player who's retiring, be it this year or next, is not "proof" that the team felt some desperate need to upgrade the receivers from last year. Neither is bringing in a speed receiver when the speed receiver the team was trying to develop lost most of a season, and now a fair amount of the offseason, to injury. I have no doubt that Belioli wants to see improvement the receiver corps, and I was never in any "This team's receiving corps is simply awesome" group, but you continue to act as if signing these two receivers serves as proof that last year was a disaster when it doesn't.

I've come in for my share of crow. I got into a tear-down fight with JoeSixPat, salty, and others in Digger's thread on Stallworth at the end of February.

I still think Caldwell is a good receiver. I did not foresee:

(a) that Stallworth would sign for less than $4 million his first year when at the time he and his agent were asking for something nonsensical like $18 million upfront.

(b) That the Dolphins would be stupid enough to tender Welker at the same level we tendered Randall Gay. I also did not foresee the Seahawks tendering Hackett at 2nd round level as well.

(c) That Welker would agree to a 6 year $18 million contract, which is so cheap going forward, given projected cap increases, as to be almost thievery, providing Welker only maintains his level of play from Miami.

BB/Pioli have outmaneuvered a seller's market this year in landing Donté (I love doing that little "é" thingy) All Day, and Welker. Goddamn they've made out like bandits. This has got to be one of the best offseasons in NFL free agency.

Numbnuts? Oh, and my post count is so huge! I've been gentle and polite. Not any more you ******* idiodic pinhead!!! Why dont you do yourself a favor and google Wikipedia to read how this offense is constructed before you go opening your mouth and showing your lack of intelligence again. Moron!

Yeah, the reply when he realizes he doesn't have everything figured out is numbnuts! LOL!!

With all these posts by the free agent expert you'd think he might mention one other position on the football team besides receiver.

Didn't we get one of those linemanbackers?????

Whoa whoa whoa. So many errors, so little time. a) Stalllworth was not available as a FA last year. He was traded to Philly for LB Simoneau and a pick. b) at 25, he was not a "veteran", and c) if he had been on the market, he probably would have cost a much larger percentage of our cap last year than this year. What starter would you have cut or traded ? Or the (much needed) depth in the secondary or LB corps ?

Did you actually read my post, as quoted right above your response? The one where I specifically mentioned TRADING for a WR last year?

Were you aware of our available cap space last year? Why would we have needed to cut a player with $10 million in cap space for last year alone going into the season?

And how many people do you think would have needed to be cut to afford Stallworth's $1.9 million salary last year. Do you even bother checking any facts before you post?

And Stallworth, drafted in 2002 was not a veteran last year? Care to explain that one? What year do you think it is? Perhaps that might explain much of this.

Also, by your logic here, you should still be unhappy; if Stallworth is a Branch replacement, shouldn't you be clamoring for another #1a (for lack of a better term) receiver

Where did you see me say that Stallworth was Branch's replacement? Branch wasn't a deep threat - Stallworth is. And I've been working hard to dispell the myth that so many have that we need to "number" our WRs. We need specific players to assume important roles and I hope someday I can convince you that while other teams might want to "number" their WRs, that doesn't work for us.

Again, from what I read, most everyone feels that WR again is a position that needed to be addressed this off-season. If these mythical people are "attacking" you, perhaps you could point them out.

Obviously I don't need to as others are stepping forward to educate you of this.

The only FA WR controversy that I have seen on this board is between those that think we should have "paid" Branch, or barring that, run out and overpay for the best available "Franchise #1" that we could lay our hands (e.g all the Moss threads), and those that wanted to address it in the offseason with either a quality-but-cheap FA or through the draft.

Actually no one was really asserting that there was anything to do in the Branch situation aside from trade him. He was going to hold out til week 10 and be a major distraction. Perhaps in hindsight we should have agreed not to franchise him but that's water under the bridge now.

There was no controversy about that.

There was controversy about the fact that the lack of a deep threat last year put strain on our offense, at WR, TE, ypc, RB and pressure on Brady by shortening the field and giving defenses free reign to put pressure on those other aspects of the offense.

Some used stats to try to prove what others could see with their eyes, and what BB and SP clearly recognized as well.

Yet even once the season was over, there were those who still argued that Caldwell and Gaffney were all we needed at WR. I'm glad BB and SP are calling the shots here and not those others.

Is there some self-congratulations going on here? Sure - given the fack I took I think I deserve some. But in the end, thanks to BB, we all win as we have a much much better offense with many more weapons today.

Am I always right? Absolutely not. I was concerned/predicted Caldwell would have one of his typical seasons. Instead he stepped up to the plate and, having more catch opportunities than ever in his career, caught the vast majority of them. I didn't even join in with those who lambasted him for his playoff drop. We wouldn't have been in the playoffs if not for him.

But that doesn't prevent me from having the common sense to recognize that his role is not that of a deep threat WR, nor would it be wise to rely solely on he and Gaffney.

I recognized that we needed depth at WR and a deep threat WR. BB agreed, and addressed this with veterans in free agency (and Yes, Welker, with 2 seasons under his belt is considered a veteran)

Last edited:
Ok, just because you're acting the part of a troll:

Troy Brown was on the team last year and will likely be retiring, therefore Welker isn't "addressing" a problem from last season, he's replacing a talented player who's moving on. That leaves Stallworth.

As for Stallworth, everyone seemed to be in agreement that Jackson was drafted to provide the deep speed for the team. An injury plagued rookie season ended by a torn acl has now resulted in Belichick going out and getting a... wait for it..... deep speed player to play Jackson's role.

So, in other words, two free agent moves have been made at receiver to make up for issues that have come up SINCE the end of the season. There's no need for any "mea culpa" on the part of anyone, since the injuries suffered by Jackson mean that the jury is clearly still out on him as a player.

I agree with the original poster. WR was our #1 need and a huge weakness. Watching teams stack 9 men on the line against Brady made me ill.

If Welker is ONLY going to give us what Troy gave us last year, then Pioli and Belichick have clearly lost their fastball. Trading a second and ponying out decent $$ for Troy's recent production? That's a panic move (which I guess further reinforces the point of the thread). I expect Welker will have a lot more impact than Troy had last year. If not, then it's on Pioli/Belichick.

Now that the team has spoken and the true experts have weighed in on whether or not a major upgrade to the wr position was needed, time for mea culpas from those of you that dissed anyone who suggested a major upgrade to the wr position was in order. Please take this opportunity to acknowledge your shortcomings here. Many of you have scoffed at our lack of understanding of the Patriots (the Patriot offense is predicated on spreading the ball around so anyone will do, Gaffney and Caldwell are more than adequate, the shortcomings of the offense had nothing to do with our receivers, the receiver position is overrated...). Only full apologies will be accepted - no half apologies. I'm talking to you Maverick4 "receiver is not an area of need for this team...I think wr can be among the most hyped up positions in football.." and Oswlek "we don't need...a guy who is absolutely better than Caldwell and Gaffney.." and DaBruinz "the Pats don't need more talent on offense to have a better offense..." and PatsFanVa and Kdo5 and others. All apologies will be accepted without reservations.

Does anyone else think that this is kinda funny. The "Big Inadequacy" of a team that was one minute away from the Super Bowl? Playing in a suspiciously warm 82 degree dome on the road with 13 players suffering from the flu? The somehow inadequate offense put up 34 points in the game against a more than decent defense? That Brady had a better completion percentage and better QB rating in that game than Peyton Manning?

If the Pats D hadn't given up 32 points in the 2nd half (a game equivalent of 64 points for those of you scoring at home), NE would be sitting right now with its 4th ring in 6 years and nobody would have been moaning about the WR's.

If you think the reason why the Pats had such a DISASTROUS season is because of the WR's (and not the porous LB situation) then you'll be waiting an awful long time for those mea culpas.

If you think the reason why the Pats had such a DISASTROUS season is because of the WR's (and not the porous LB situation) then you'll be waiting an awful long time for those mea culpas.

"For all of you who tried to make the claim last year that the receiving situation didn’t hurt the Patriots - that Deion Branch and David Givens weren’t missed and Tom Brady may have been the problem - you must now realize this:

Bill Belichick disagrees with you. "

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=187916

I think its more funny that even as BB proves you wrong, so many continue to protest.

And based on your logic, since we came so close to the Super Bowl, the LB situation can't be all that bad, right? I mean, we were just one minute away - therefore there's no way that the LB situation hurt us right?

Therefore no need to bolster the LB corps, right?

Amazing the warped logic that people use.

LB was a need AND Wide Reciever was a need. It CAN be more than one shortcoming you know.

I agree with the original poster. WR was our #1 need and a huge weakness. Watching teams stack 9 men on the line against Brady made me ill.

If Welker is ONLY going to give us what Troy gave us last year, then Pioli and Belichick have clearly lost their fastball. Trading a second and ponying out decent $$ for Troy's recent production? That's a panic move (which I guess further reinforces the point of the thread). I expect Welker will have a lot more impact than Troy had last year. If not, then it's on Pioli/Belichick.

Troy Brown was the team's #3 receiver last season. In that role, he was far more successful at picking up first downs than Welker was. Welker was a lesser punt returner than Kevin Faulk was last season and does not likely represent an upgrade there, either. Welker did not play cornerback when needed, to the best of my knowledge. What Welker did was catch more balls in an offense that threw more often than New England's.

Regarding Stallworth, whom you didn't mention, the same mistake is being made on this thread. As Donald Hayes, Bethel Johnson, Chad Jackson, Andre Davis and others have shown, this is a team that has been trying, year after year, to bring in a downfield receiver. In fact, in the case of Stallworth, we know that New England wasn't even the high bidder, something you wouldn't expect to be the case if this was an area of such panicked necessity. There's a difference between the natural transition and improving of a position and panicked maneuvering. Last season was when the panic moves were made, as the team was forced to scramble to replace Branch as best as could be done.

I think its more funny that even as BB proves you wrong, so many continue to protest.

Exactly right. They are arguing against the facts. So be it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back