PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For Patriot Ring Of Fame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HOFs, Ring of Fames, Retired Numbers and etc. just further lowers the standards of what "Exceptional or Great" really means. NFL HOF in Canton Ohio is suffice. What next a New England Patriot's Cheerleader HOF?

Guys like Tip would not have benefitted from a Ring of Honor. He was snubbed for two reasons - his owner was a dolt (Sullivan) and McDonough didn't like him. HOF is a perception vote by a collection of mediots who talk each other into things like they trade favors in Congress. Only the most elite go in on one or two ballots. The rest have to lobby for inclusion or have influential friends in the right places who keep banging the drum. Say what you will but Borges was determined to right the wrong on Tip, and over the course of several seasons as Will's successor he did.

Excellent point Mo. The way the NFL HoF process works, as I understand it, is that all of the voters (one per team, plus a few at-large voters) meet and one by one make a case for a player for the team they cover/represent. It is mostly beat writers that may have paid little to no attention to the other 31 teams other than watching SportsCenter, so if whomever is representing you does not make a good case because he didn't like you, or is new to the committee, or doesn't know the protocol, or is not a very good public speaker, then that player is screwed! No surprise that a player that came up for vote after finishing his career in the Kiam - Orthwein years didn't get much notice, considering this voting process.

HOFs, Ring of Fames, Retired Numbers and etc. just further lowers the standards of what "Exceptional or Great" really means. NFL HOF in Canton Ohio is suffice. What next a New England Patriot's Cheerleader HOF?

Hopefully Ian will give us a pain in the ass resident troll Hall of Shame/Ring of Dishonor first. I'll champion your inclusion...

I could not agree more.

Really it's Tippett and Hannah - That's all we got right now.

No. 12 will be there someday for sure, but I hope it's a long time and a lot of rings later.

Tedy Bruschi and Troy Brown may be yet another two - if I had to pick one of those two it would be #54.

What a great jumping off point for debate! However, I'd add John Hannah, Andre Tippett, and maybe Ron Burton. I'd get rid of Clayborn and Buoniconti.

For the currents, I'd just do Brady, Brown, and Bruschi.

I did assume that the comment of Tippett and Hannah above my post would lead all to conclude that those guys would be included.

Last edited:
Bod Dee and Jim Lee Hunt? Why?

Bob Dee:
Ironman of the AFL, never missed a game during his career and started 112 consecutive games. 4 AFL All-Star teams (1961, 1963-65) and a member of the Patriots All-1960's team.

Jim Lee Hunt:
Played both OT and DT from 1960 to 1970. 4x AFL All-Star, and was one of only 20 players to play the entire 10 yrs of the AFL. Also a member of the Patriots All-1960's team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back