PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time For Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Message to the moron contingent, we don't need less talent we need more. And it would help if it's durable. We lost tonight because we play on a margin driven in part by the value model. Brady is the least of this teams problems. When we lose what other little elite talent or as close to it as we've come of late at critical positions we don't have the pure talent to overcome an opponent who might struggle in season with less depth but if healthy in the post season poses a tougher matchup.

Branch was our 3rd WR on the field tonight. Welker and Lloyd both had drops but there was no alternative but to keep targeting the same two guys. And Hernandez, who simply isn't a $7M TE when not in tandem with another one. Both of whom shape an offense that struggles in their absence. The running game was supposed to counter some of that but for all it's flashes it still struggles when the chips are down. And Vereen's speed and receiving ability that might have been presumed to cause the Raven's D problems simply never was apparently never part of the game plan. The plan itself may be part of the problem because we react and rely so much on scheme it almost renders us incapable of simply stepping up and making plays. Some of that is lack of talent and some of it is over reliance on scheme. The more Belichick coached up that D the worse it played.

Brady had some time at times but no one who could get open. The defense was so worried about Flacco going deep they couldn't stop the run or the intermediate throws that converted 3rd and long. Once Talib went out they just wilted. I think it was one of the more poorly coached games I've seen in a while.

I agree it's time for a change, but that change involves addition rather than subtraction. They need another outside WR who can get open not via scheme but via talent and speed. Probably need to draft that guy since you have $15M per tied up in the TE's. Need to figure out whether to extend or replace Talib with equal or better and more durable talent. Need to figure out what you're doing with the young backs and commit to them or move on. Can't run a two TE offense when you often don't have two available talented enough to. Can't run 3 or 4 wide when you don't have the horses to. Can't count on the running game when you still can't run even when they know you are.

We became one dimentional again, the same thing Belichick supposedly tasked McDaniels last off season with eliminating the possibility of ever happening again. Guys are going to drop balls and even fumble them on occasion. You have to be able to overcome that. We still lack the talent to. Opponents are going to make plays but you have to be able to make stops too. And if you aren't getting any pressure you have to stop banging your head against the wall and change it up. We didn't on either side of the ball and so we end up with the post season headache again.

IMO,

If you add a DE who can get consistent pressure opposite an improved Jones, and DTs that can rush the passer this defense would be a top ten unit.

The offense is where some moves need to be made. Welker either needs to be re-signed for less money or let go. He's simply not indispensable, he's a finesse receiver who's no longer clutch. But if we keep him as our 3rd option? He suddenly becomes a valuable commodity again, if he signs for less. Players like Welker dropping passes in postseason games are costing us championships, we can't depend on them. But having him as an option makes our offense deadly. We just don't want to depend on him.

Speaking of WRs, add a threat like Wallace to the WR core and suddenly this offense truly becomes unstoppable. What's killing us is we're simply not deep enough. We need more than one true playmaker on offense. That way one little injury wont either kill our offense or effect it in big situations.

Also, the Oline. This unit needs to be improved. Can we please give Dante proven, tough offensive linemen and not scrubs? That's our biggest problem of all and the main culprit for our playoff woes. The most common theme you'll see in all our playoff losses is we get beat in the trenches. We can never get a good running game going in a big game, and we can never protect Brady. The right side of the line dissapears, Mankins dissapears and we haven't had good blocking from the center position since 2005. Everrrrry single postseason it's the same story, the big physical bully beats us up. Well where do you think the whole physical battle starts?

I remember when we used to eat teams that prided themselves on toughness. Remember the 03 Panthers? If this current Patriots squad faced that team they'd probably lose that game. That DL would tear our soft little OL to pieces. Yet our OL at the time ate their lunch, ya know why? Because back then we had tough offensive linemen that played mean in big games. What the heck has happened to that?

Whatever it is this is not working..We have become the Colts finesse teams do not win the Superbowl..Bill Belichek needs to get back to what the Giants were all about back in the 80's

You clearly weren't watching the game. This isn't a finesse team. This is a team that couldn't execute when the pressure was on. And it starts and ends with Brady. In all honesty, he's his own worst enemy and his interview with Marino showed that. He needs to get back to being the guy who fell asleep a couple hours before the SB and woke up with 30 min to game time.

He had several bad throws and missed numerous open receivers tonight. The short throw to Vereen that was to Vereen's INSIDE shoulder instead of his outside Shoulder that would have given the Pats a drive extending 1st down is just one example.

Now, where I blame McDaniels is on the 3rd and 2s.. Instead of lining up Ridley or Woodhead and either running a draw, running a screen or just running a wham, he has to get fancy and try for a 10 yard play.. Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead all have the ability to get outside, yet the Pats didn't use it effectively either.

Also, the defense took a hit when Talib came up lame. Not to mention that, for whatever reason, the Pats stopped jamming the Ravens receivers at the line which allowed the likes of Boldin and Smith to get open for big plays.

His cap hit this season was $8M. Against a cap that was $48M higher than in 2004. Ryan and Flacco weren't on cheap rookie deals, they were on expensive ones about to get more expensive. Ryan is finishing up a 6 year $66M deal with a cap hit of $10M. Flacco is finishing up a 5 year $30M deal with a cap hit of $8M. Believe me, both are going to get paid and neither is going to be replaced by some cheap pistol QB. Both of whom will be lucky to last long enough to get their first big deal in 2015.

Brady wasn't the problem tonight. It was the same problem that has dogged his team for some time now. Lack of sufficient talent compounded by multiple injuries on both sides of the ball to be able match up with healthy playoff caliber competition.

brady certainly was part of the problem last night, and ys, his cap # is 8M now because they made some changes to the desal.....it is 21M per for the next 2 years, and not sure wha tyou're going to do with that unless you want to extend him again which I certainly do not.....I watched the celtics die this way in the 80's. smart teams move on even if it means temporarily taking a step backward.......we are very close to that if not right there......injuries are compounded by the fact that you are paying a few players alot of money and can't afford higher quality depth, but tonight was nothing about injuries.....the pats could have had their entire IR healthy and they still would have lost this....and brady has screwed the pooch with more talent than this.

I understand your love for brady, but this is as good as it is going to get, and it is likely going to get worse......another year, another kid, more fear and age

Other than the Boldin matchup (which normally would be matched or outweighed by the Gronk one) and the Pollard KO on Ridley (which normally would have been flagged by the refs), I didn't really see the Pats get physically beaten.

The Pollard hit would not normally have been flagged because RIDLEY was the one who lowered his helmet into Pollard.

No legitimate deep threat receiver, Lloyd just isn't going to cut it. And the fact they didn't try to get Fells or Hooman involved was befuddling.

Hooman and Fells were out there doing what they do best. BLOCKING....

And;

• tackles who can collapse the pocket,
  • ends who can rush the passer,
  • DB's who can locate the ball, &
  • linebackers who can cover tight ends.

There's quite a few on that wish list.

TBH, McDaniels play calling left me baffled. He's developed a serious issue since SB42 with playoff game calling.

Let me know when you learn about Belichick's 4-3 2Gap defense. It doesn't used DTs to Collapse the pocket...

BTW, the DBs do locate the ball. Guess you missed the numerous PDs they had tonight.

I think that Gronkowski's injury was key in our loss today. He is such a weapon and there were many times in the game the he could have made a difference.

You clearly weren't watching the game. This isn't a finesse team. This is a team that couldn't execute when the pressure was on. And it starts and ends with Brady. In all honesty, he's his own worst enemy and his interview with Marino showed that. He needs to get back to being the guy who fell asleep a couple hours before the SB and woke up with 30 min to game time.

He had several bad throws and missed numerous open receivers tonight. The short throw to Vereen that was to Vereen's INSIDE shoulder instead of his outside Shoulder that would have given the Pats a drive extending 1st down is just one example.

Now, where I blame McDaniels is on the 3rd and 2s.. Instead of lining up Ridley or Woodhead and either running a draw, running a screen or just running a wham, he has to get fancy and try for a 10 yard play.. Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead all have the ability to get outside, yet the Pats didn't use it effectively either.

Also, the defense took a hit when Talib came up lame. Not to mention that, for whatever reason, the Pats stopped jamming the Ravens receivers at the line which allowed the likes of Boldin and Smith to get open for big plays.

It doesn't start and end with Brady. It starts and ends with BB and the coaches and the talent level on the roster and the lack of elite players at skill positions and the fact that if they didn't have bad luck with injuries they wouldn't have any.

It was over when Talib went out. The offense that remains predicated on the two TE's because aside from Welker they don't really have a receiver remotely as talented as anyone else features was already playing without it's best weapon. Belichick has failed again to account for that. Lloyd was a nice try, he just isn't that significant a player. And he had a drop too. Also had YAC once... And McD seemed disinclined to play the hot hand in Vereen until he was forced to and it was too late.

Brady didn't have numerous open receivers at any point. He almost never does unless the opposition blows coverage. That's the problem.

I'm just going to go ahead and say it even though I feel I'm going to get roasted.

Tom Brady is not what he used to be.

He's become the Peyton Manning we always used to laugh at, great in the regular season but not clutch when it counts most. Granted, I know receivers dropped passes, but early in the game on various 3rd and shorts, Brady went for the 10-15 yard throw into tight coverage instead of taking the first down underneath for an easy 5 yards. There were so many passes that were off target or in the ground.

I'm afraid the Brady glory days aren't coming back guys. Who cares about the regular season and regular season stats when he plays sub-par in the most important games.

13 points aren't going to do it.

Youre right, but the Homers will find where you live and make your life miserable.

Poor drafting and development has a lot more to do with it than Brady's cap hit which has always remained manageable. This year it was $8M. Screwing up the Welker situation and $20M in dead cap mistakes cost them a lot more against the cap.
While not the best when it comes to drafting the Pats have done well in this department the last several years.

While Brady's cap this year is low (because he re-did it), it isn't next year and beyond which is what restricts the team from entering into expensive, long term deals with better players that could help them now.

Make no mistake about, Brady's cap charge has and will be a hindrance for this team.

The Pollard hit would not normally have been flagged because RIDLEY was the one who lowered his helmet into Pollard.

The Pollard hit would never be flagged because Ridley is a RB. If they start flagging defenders for helmet to helmet hits on running plays they will have to rename it flag.

brady certainly was part of the problem last night, and ys, his cap # is 8M now because they made some changes to the desal.....it is 21M per for the next 2 years, and not sure wha tyou're going to do with that unless you want to extend him again which I certainly do not.....I watched the celtics die this way in the 80's. smart teams move on even if it means temporarily taking a step backward.......we are very close to that if not right there......injuries are compounded by the fact that you are paying a few players alot of money and can't afford higher quality depth, but tonight was nothing about injuries.....the pats could have had their entire IR healthy and they still would have lost this....and brady has screwed the pooch with more talent than this.

I understand your love for brady, but this is as good as it is going to get, and it is likely going to get worse......another year, another kid, more fear and age

Without Brady this is a 8-8 team. I don't know what you're smoking. Next year Joe Flacco will be making huge money too, and they'll swallow it.

This team will end its reign a la Elway and the Broncos, and that's the proper way to do it with a great passer with no suitable backup waiting.

They already took a step back and are building back up, if you think this team is better without Brady then your more lost than your posts make you out to be. They're not going to the friggin super bowl every year, you can nit pick and analyze every flaw the team has but every team has them, they played poorly in the second half and Baltimore played great thats why they're not going this year.
Most of you sound like a bunch of Jets fans, things aren't as bad as they seem after a big loss, go to bed and when you wake up tomorrow you may have a better perspective.

Message to the moron contingent, we don't need less talent we need more. And it would help if it's durable. We lost tonight because we play on a margin driven in part by the value model. Brady is the least of this teams problems. When we lose what other little elite talent or as close to it as we've come of late at critical positions we don't have the pure talent to overcome an opponent who might struggle in season with less depth but if healthy in the post season poses a tougher matchup.

Branch was our 3rd WR on the field tonight. Welker and Lloyd both had drops but there was no alternative but to keep targeting the same two guys. And Hernandez, who simply isn't a $7M TE when not in tandem with another one. Both of whom shape an offense that struggles in their absence. The running game was supposed to counter some of that but for all it's flashes it still struggles when the chips are down. And Vereen's speed and receiving ability that might have been presumed to cause the Raven's D problems simply never was apparently never part of the game plan. The plan itself may be part of the problem because we react and rely so much on scheme it almost renders us incapable of simply stepping up and making plays. Some of that is lack of talent and some of it is over reliance on scheme. The more Belichick coached up that D the worse it played.

Brady had some time at times but no one who could get open. The defense was so worried about Flacco going deep they couldn't stop the run or the intermediate throws that converted 3rd and long. Once Talib went out they just wilted. I think it was one of the more poorly coached games I've seen in a while.

I agree it's time for a change, but that change involves addition rather than subtraction. They need another outside WR who can get open not via scheme but via talent and speed. Probably need to draft that guy since you have $15M per tied up in the TE's. Need to figure out whether to extend or replace Talib with equal or better and more durable talent. Need to figure out what you're doing with the young backs and commit to them or move on. Can't run a two TE offense when you often don't have two available talented enough to. Can't run 3 or 4 wide when you don't have the horses to. Can't count on the running game when you still can't run even when they know you are.

We became one dimentional again, the same thing Belichick supposedly tasked McDaniels last off season with eliminating the possibility of ever happening again. Guys are going to drop balls and even fumble them on occasion. You have to be able to overcome that. We still lack the talent to. Opponents are going to make plays but you have to be able to make stops too. And if you aren't getting any pressure you have to stop banging your head against the wall and change it up. We didn't on either side of the ball and so we end up with the post season headache again.

Stop with the deflection and just call a spade a spade. Brady did not play well tonight.

Branch was our 3rd WR on the field tonight. Welker and Lloyd both had drops but there was no alternative but to keep targeting the same two guys. And Hernandez, who simply isn't a $7M TE (Hernandez isn't a $7M TE yet and won't be until 2014 and he was exceptional tonight)when not in tandem with another one. Both of whom shape an offense that struggles in their absence. The running game was supposed to counter some of that but for all it's flashes it still struggles when the chips are down. And Vereen's speed and receiving ability that might have been presumed to cause the Raven's D problems simply never was apparently never part of the game plan. The plan itself may be part of the problem because we react and rely so much on scheme it almost renders us incapable of simply stepping up and making plays. Some of that is lack of talent and some of it is over reliance on scheme. The more Belichick coached up that D the worse it played.

Gotta disagree with almost your entire take, MO. We lost tonight, not because of lack of talent, but lack of execution. Starting with Brady. He missed OPEN MEN all night long. Several of his throws were off the mark including the one that went behind Vereen instead of in front of him so he could catch it on the run.

Why do they fail to execute? For Brady, he said it in his interview with Marino. He get's too anxious. Instead of being calm and relaxed and taking what's given to him, he tries to force it.

And contrary to what you say, the running game didn't falter tonight. Not every run is going to be a 4-5 yard gain. You're going to have 1-2 yarders every now and then. And, until Ridley lowered his head into Pollard, the running game was doing damn good.

The Pats not including Vereen more in the game plan is perplexing. He is clearly a dynamic talent and Belichick supposedly was talking him up to Nantz in an interview. So, to not see him used more earlier in the game was just dumbfounding.

The Patriots DO have the talent where they shouldn't need to rely on their 3rd WR the way they were tonight with Branch even with the Welker and Lloyd drops. Welker, Lloyd, Hernandez, Woodhead, and Vereen are all better receiving threats than Branch. Only Belichick and McDaniels can tell us why they didn't put them on the field at the same time.

I think that Gronkowski's injury was key in our loss today. He is such a weapon and there were many times in the game the he could have made a difference.

The Pats have more than enough talent that Gronks injury didn't make a bit of difference. Not when you have a QB missing open receivers and him not hitting his receivers the way he should.

Stop with the deflection and just call a spade a spade. Brady did not play well tonight.

How so? Couple of big time drops, sustained drives by Baltimore in the 2nd half, play calls for pass on 3rd and 2. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either.

Make no mistake about, Brady's cap charge has and will be a hindrance for this team.

The Devil you (half) know or the Devil you don't? That's really what it boils down to. For better or for worse, though, Brady does give this team the best chance to win a Super Bowl, at least for the rest of his current contract.

How so? Couple of big time drops, sustained drives by Baltimore in the 2nd half, play calls for pass on 3rd and 2. He wasn't great but he wasn't terrible either.

Brady missed at least a half dozen open receivers. Brady was responsible for the 2 poor throws to Lloyd (the one that bounced in front of Lloyd by a few yards and the one that Lloyd picked up off the carpet), not to mention the poor throw behind Vereen that would have resulted in him being clobbered instead of being able to turn upfield if he'd actually made the catch.

Even on the interception, Brady had the Woodhead wide open to his left with no Raven within 10 yards but decided to try and go downfield to his right and McPhee batted it up for Ellerbe to intercept.

Without Brady this is a 8-8 team. I don't know what you're smoking. Next year Joe Flacco will be making huge money too, and they'll swallow it.

This team will end its reign a la Elway and the Broncos, and that's the proper way to do it with a great passer with no suitable backup waiting.

brady WILL NOT end the way Elway did.....brady already plays scared....elway never did

this was elway at 37

All Time Bronco Plays: #1 The Helicopter - YouTube

when was the last time you saw brady put himself out there like that?

the ravens will not be forced to pay flacco and when they do, their hands will be tied when it comes time to upgrade the defense post Lewis/Reed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back