PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time for a Taylor Price thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no rule that says BB isn't allowed to carry 4 tight ends considering Hernandez plays like a Dallas Clark hybrid TE/WR anyway. I'm sure Smith will make the roster.

Absolutely. I don't see any doubt about this one. Smith is likely part of the future plan, and having a good leader/mentor around like Crumpler only adds to the development of the younger TE's, not to mention great locker room presence and overall team leader/experience guy too.

I think we may be surprised to see where the roster cuts come from, as many feel as though it will surely be RB. I would think that is certainly a fair thought, but then again, I am not sold 100% either. It's certainly possible that BB keeps Faulk around for one last year, meaning that there would now be additions at

--QB
--TE

I think there will be one less OL on the roster than last yr for sure, and that the ST's only (not sure how many there were off the top of my head) will be extremely limited, which will add another spot or two there also. I don't see a need for a guy like Slater with the recent drafting of the ST-friendly players who actually have a role here--even if that means taking a step or two down on the gunner aspect. I think that in the long run, freeing up a roster spot is more important. It will be interesting to see what happens with Tracy White also, as that may free up a ST only spot too if he leaves.

I see the same amounts as last yr just about everywhere else, and that possibly even includes RB, who most think is a sure casualty with Faulk. I think there's a good chance that BB may keep him, and I'd see it as at least 50/50--although most will not agree with me.

To be honest, besides OL and ST only, (which should free up at LEAST 2-3 spots in my opinion), I could even see WR being cut down a spot too to 5, although that may not be plausible in case of injuries. As many have pointed out, we already employ a system where we have TE's and RB's contributing pretty regularly, and do not seem to run the 3-4 WR sets as often anymore. We'd probably need to keep 6 however, so that wouldn't have to change, as many of the other positions can stay the same as far as taking up a roster spot.

--Welker
--Branch
--Price
--Tate
--Edelman

Unless I am forgetting someone who actually plays (possible, since it's 5 am), these guys + Hernandez' role as the potential hybrid TE/WR may be enough. It may seem like a crazy idea, but that now frees up 4 possible roster spots, at the very least 3 (OL, ST 1-2, and possibly not likely though, WR).

Regardless of how it's done, the 2 extra spots at QB and TE will be taken care of just fine. The rest of RB, WR, DL, LB, and DB could be the exact same as last year, just be taking away 1 ST only, and 1 OL. The main point is that there's no way Smith goes anywhere, as he is likely the main blocking TE for the future, if he's what he is advertised as.

This is all under the assumption that the 53 man stays a 53 man, and is not increased. That too is a possibility, and then it all becomes moot anyway.

Last edited:
My only question about your post supa..

HOW do you get your brain to function so early :)

Agree with the premise that there may be only 8 OL this year.....someone will have to do C/G duty and Ohrnberger may be a casualty unless he really outperforms Connolly and Wendall......Kaczur may be gone as well....then there's the Matt Light contract to ponder....

Do we need yet another thread to discuss possible roster positions or is there one already started here somewhere? :cool:

Yes, you are very right about the OSU schedule etc.

I am not sure that I am fully understanding this rule though, maybe you could offer some clarification. So what they're saying is that you MUST finish school and earn a degree? What about the guys that come out of the NCAA's early? I would assume that many of them don't finish their degree, as we've heard the old 'I can always go back and do it later' excuse/example. They obviously feel as though the millions to be made now supersedes the need for a college degree--which is a very fair thought.

Did Ty Warren go back recently and earn a SECOND degree then?

Nobody fully understands this rule because it's stupid ;)

Players who have graduated can join the team as soon as possible (May 16), but those who haven't must wait until after final exams are done. It's really based on the exam dates, not the graduation date so calling it the graduation rule is a bit misleading.

Graduation rules affect Gilyard, others - NFC West Blog - ESPN

While all rookies are allowed to participate in their team's postdraft camp, NFL rules prevent players from joining their teams until May 16 or until their colleges have held final examinations, whichever comes later. Players who have already graduated or will graduate before May 16 can join their teams May 16.

Ross Tucker: NFL rookies hurt by outdated rule - 06.05.08 - SI Vault

Joe Flacco was finally able to reunite with his Baltimore Ravens teammates this week after missing all of the previous Organized Team Activities (OTAs). The Ravens' first-round pick and quarterback of the future, if not the present, was not allowed to participate because of a long-standing rule between the NCAA and NFL that stipulates rookies cannot cannot participate in more than one minicamp before their college class is finished with all of its course work for the semester, regardless of whether the rookie is still enrolled or not.
Perhaps the most obvious flaw in not allowing players to participate in offseason activities until their universities' exams are over is that players do not leave school early in May to participate in these sessions. They leave much earlier.

Flacco's agent, Joe Linta, maintains that "kids are not dropping out of school so that they don't miss any OTAs; they are dropping out so that they can prepare and train for the Senior Bowl and Combine, which amount to the biggest job interviews in their life."

Tucker's article goes into much more depth, including the potential impact it may have on later-round picks/UDFAs from certain schools being given less opportunities as they will miss a lot of OTAs.

Last edited:
Welker
Branch
Edelman
Tate
Price
Slater

Before anyone gets pissy, Slater is in there simply for the sake of argument.

So, there's some good competition for the 3rd and 4th WR spots....are you 100% sure that Price will get the 4th, let alone the 3rd spot? I think it will be tough for him.

I'm rooting for the guy, he has a lot of potential but he has to surpass two players who have been in the system for multiple years and Price also missed rookie (although I doubt that means much now). I think he'll have to put a hell of a training camp (god willing) to earn himself the 4th WR spot.

I'm sure he'll be active week 1 and will see the field, I'm just not so sure it will be as a 3rd or 4th WR.

I see his ceiling in 2011 as high as overtaking Branch for the #2 spot midseason (really the #1 with Welker the slot)

Guaranteed that one of the Pats WR's misses time due to injury...they always do..

does anyone think we'll see an expanded roster in 2011. THere have been rumblings about it.

When your #1 receiver lines up in the slot, you have no one who can spread the field. Price will never be anything more than #3 receiver and wouldn't even make the roster on a lot of teams.

I see his ceiling in 2011 as high as overtaking Branch for the #2 spot midseason (really the #1 with Welker the slot)

When your #1 receiver lines up in the slot, you have no one who can spread the field. Price will never be anything more than #3 receiver and wouldn't even make the roster on a lot of teams.

LOL, one person saying he could be our #1 and another saying he will "never" be more than a 3rd WR.

I'll side with patsinthesnow, I don't think he'll be any higher than #4 to start the season but I can see him making his way up the depth chart during the season.

My only question about your post supa..

HOW do you get your brain to function so early :)

Agree with the premise that there may be only 8 OL this year.....someone will have to do C/G duty and Ohrnberger may be a casualty unless he really outperforms Connolly and Wendall......Kaczur may be gone as well....then there's the Matt Light contract to ponder....

Do we need yet another thread to discuss possible roster positions or is there one already started here somewhere? :cool:

Yeah, fair enough, but with the questioning of Lee Smith coming up and how he'd make the roster that included 4 TE's, it was somewhat fitting. If you are going to discuss how Smith could make the roster/how 4 TE's is plausible, you may as well give your viewpoint on how/why it's more than possible.

Apologies if my answer on 4 TE's then described WHY it's possible took the thread off topic. That happens in just about every single thread though, as ideas get webbed off of each other.

Yes, there were a couple of roster threads started at the end of April right after the draft, although they are now long buried and forgotten about I would imagine.

does anyone think we'll see an expanded roster in 2011. THere have been rumblings about it.

At this point, ANYTHING is possible my friend ;)

Yes, it has been brought up, in which case we would not need to worry about much of anything in regards to positional numbers. It may however, never come to fruition, or at least not at this point in time, and the current 53 man roster may stay intact. One way or another it certainly seems as though we are keeping 4 TE's, unless Crumpler and his injury are somehow more severe than we imagined.

This whole season/offseason is one big mystery so far.

It must destroy players from Ohio State. My nephew goes there and they have a four quarter, rather than two semester and summer (or some such) so their semesters end at all sorts of strange times/months.

No reason mature players shouldn't be allowed to start their career and handle their school as they would like.

I too go there but I like the qtr system far better than semesters. Unfortunately they will be moving to semesters in Aug 2012.

Last edited:
Yes, you are very right about the OSU schedule etc.

I am not sure that I am fully understanding this rule though, maybe you could offer some clarification. So what they're saying is that you MUST finish school and earn a degree? What about the guys that come out of the NCAA's early? I would assume that many of them don't finish their degree, as we've heard the old 'I can always go back and do it later' excuse/example. They obviously feel as though the millions to be made now supersedes the need for a college degree--which is a very fair thought.

Did Ty Warren go back recently and earn a SECOND degree then?

Since Spring qtr system starts in the last week of March and ends on the 2nd week of June, if you decide to attend spring qtr and you are drafted, NFL rules (I believe) force you to finish school.

Edit-Converted Pats fan took care of that answer.

Last edited:
Since Spring qtr system starts in the last week of March and ends on the 2nd week of June, if you decide to attend spring qtr and you are drafted, NFL rules (I believe) force you to finish school.

Edit-Converted Pats fan took care of that answer.

Thanks man, I guess it's different per various schools, as I still don't know if I understand the T.Warren/A&M thing.

Thanks man, I guess it's different per various schools, as I still don't know if I understand the T.Warren/A&M thing.

Do you mean him skipping workouts and other off-season stuff for his degree? That was not related, just a player choosing to finish his education and foregoing a $250K workout bonus to do so.

Do you mean him skipping workouts and other off-season stuff for his degree? That was not related, just a player choosing to finish his education and foregoing a $250K workout bonus to do so.

No, I understand that aspect. What I'm not sure I grasp is that he came out early and without a degree (which he obviously later achieved), as we have seen many other players do.

So if there's a clause that says that you 'can't start practicing or report to your team until you have graduated,' how is it that guys like him are able to do so?

You are right, the different aspects of the rule is strange, and a bit confusing, as you tried to point out to me already. It really doesn't matter at all, and I apologize for my 'not getting it.' Anyway, thanks for the clarification etc, I will look it up more if I am curious about it. There must be something pretty obvious that my dumb-a## is overlooking :D

Edit: Or is it just that you cannot start practicing and report until that school's classes have finished? That would make a whole lot more sense, and also answer the question of what it is I am grossly overlooking.

Last edited:
No, I understand that aspect. What I'm not sure I grasp is that he came out early and without a degree (which he obviously later achieved), as we have seen many other players do.

So if there's a clause that says that you 'can't start practicing or report to your team until you have graduated,' how is it that guys like him are able to do so?

You are right, the different aspects of the rule is strange, and a bit confusing, as you tried to point out to me already. It really doesn't matter at all, and I apologize for my 'not getting it.' Anyway, thanks for the clarification etc, I will look it up more if I am curious about it. There must be something pretty obvious that my dumb-a## is overlooking :D

Edit: Or is it just that you cannot start practicing and report until that school's classes have finished? That would make a whole lot more sense, and also answer the question of what it is I am grossly overlooking.

Right, it's all based on the player's school, not the player himself.

Right, it's all based on the player's school, not the player himself.

Thanks Sciz (and converted), much appreciated.

Question, if someone does leave early for the NFL, can that player come back years later and still get that scholarship to finish school?
Thanks

Question, if someone does leave early for the NFL, can that player come back years later and still get that scholarship to finish school?
Thanks

lol,i seriously doubt it.

I'd imagine that an NFL player wouldn't have a problem paying the tuition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes