PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tim Wright, Shane Vereen, 3rd WR will be keys against Denver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNathanDrake

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Their defense is pretty good. Talib and Harris will give Edelman and LaFell a tough time. Gronk will be Gronk, or having TJ Ward (the guy who injured him last year) out there might be in the back of his head all game. Either way, I see them making a huge effort to limit Gronk. Brady will be pressured a lot by Ware and Von Miller.

This is where Tim Wright and Vereen will have to step up.

The 3rd WR spot will be crucial on Sunday. It boggles the mind how Amendola is STILL getting so many snaps, despite no production. He only has 7 catches and 47 yards in 8 games, and gets a lot of snaps every week. That may be the most pathetic stat line for any WR who sees normal playing time.

Amendola averages less than 1 catch per game, and averages just 5.8 yards per game.

If they double Gronk, and shutdown LaFell and Edelman, someone will have to step up and through 8 games this year we've never seen Amendola do it. Tyms and Dobson should be called upon, but who knows. It wouldve been in the teams best interest to get Dobson involved earlier on, but he looks to be following the doghouse route that Ridley was in last year. Tyms may be good for a long ball but we haven't seen him consistently carve up a defense for a whole game.

Denvers run D is one of the best in the league. Talib can shutdown LaFell. They can get pressure rushing 4, so will have enough players to double Gronk.

I think Gronk will have a decent game, but not amazing like last week. LaFell and Edelman will have limited production. Vereen pass catching will come into play, and he'll have a big game. Wright will have to make them pay for focusing on Gronk.

How do you see our offense matching up against Denvers Defense?

The thing for me is to remember that Denver is now a heavy man to man team as opposed to Chicago last week and Denver last year. I'm sure our WR will get some wins and plenty of losses in these matchups against their CBs but I'm expecting Vereen to be featured a lot more than Gray compared to last week.

Just like man to man defenses can have trouble against mobile QBs (because the DBs are facing away from the ball), I am hoping we will get some big plays by getting Vereen out in space. Same goes with Tim Wright, as you mentioned, also.

Denver has to double gronk at least. If he plays a majority against a safety or lb, gronk and Tom will feast on them. Lafell has been exploding in production lately. Wright catches about every pass so far. As good as denver d is, Tom with enough time will exploit any matchup problems. It's gonna be a close one, but the pats have the weapons to go through that defense and put up points.

I think its pretty obvious what needs to happen, run the Welker pick play with Gronk and Wright, have one of them light up Talib, and then proceed to put up 60 points.

Man to Man defense with 4 man pressure has been a perennial krytonite for this offense for a long time because our WR never seem to get open in time.at least in the past. Will have to see what happens this time. This is LaFell's big test , if he is more of the same or can beat man to man coverage and make some plays. Gray wont run much and I dont think the pats will try to. I see a lot of shotgun from brady(which iam not a big fan of since it takes away his PA ability)

I am not worried

Gronk will either win if they 1v1 him or will force a 2v1 to limit him

After that Lafell, Edelman & Wright all get 1v1 match ups and someone should be able to win.

Either that or Denver is forced into zone or with 5 DBs and then you just run.

I am not worried about our offensive play makers. I am worried about our OL holding up.

I think that will decide the game.

If our OL shows up and Brady/Manning have near equal protection then it comes down to which secondary can limit the other more. This would swing it to our favor cause our DBs are better overall.

Their defense is pretty good. Talib and Harris will give Edelman and LaFell a tough time. Gronk will be Gronk, or having TJ Ward (the guy who injured him last year) out there might be in the back of his head all game. Either way, I see them making a huge effort to limit Gronk. Brady will be pressured a lot by Ware and Von Miller.

This is where Tim Wright and Vereen will have to step up.

The 3rd WR spot will be crucial on Sunday. It boggles the mind how Amendola is STILL getting so many snaps, despite no production. He only has 7 catches and 47 yards in 8 games, and gets a lot of snaps every week. That may be the most pathetic stat line for any WR who sees normal playing time.

Amendola averages less than 1 catch per game, and averages just 5.8 yards per game.

If they double Gronk, and shutdown LaFell and Edelman, someone will have to step up and through 8 games this year we've never seen Amendola do it. Tyms and Dobson should be called upon, but who knows. It wouldve been in the teams best interest to get Dobson involved earlier on, but he looks to be following the doghouse route that Ridley was in last year. Tyms may be good for a long ball but we haven't seen him consistently carve up a defense for a whole game.

Denvers run D is one of the best in the league. Talib can shutdown LaFell. They can get pressure rushing 4, so will have enough players to double Gronk.

I think Gronk will have a decent game, but not amazing like last week. LaFell and Edelman will have limited production. Vereen pass catching will come into play, and he'll have a big game. Wright will have to make them pay for focusing on Gronk.

How do you see our offense matching up against Denvers Defense?

Danny Amendola against Chicago 2 Targets 2 Catches albeit 5yds gulp! I have a feeling Danny is going to have a Big game this week.o_O;)

The question to me becomes, how do we slow down Ware/Von Miller? The Denver D seemed to be real good at sniffing out the screens (and while we can trick them once or maybe twice, they'll learn real fast).

Brady does seem to have more targets to throw to that have the option of being able to read the defense and allow for him (Brady) to make quick throws -- dink and dunk. So we also need to be able to keep the intermediate zones from being flooded with defenders (provided the Oline can give Brady 3 seconds for that zone to develop and to hurt them enough that they have to respect it).

We've had 2 games this year that have been among the loudest in recent memory; I hope those fans show up and have trouble talking the next day. A big game like this may attract more of the corporate types (I hope they stay home and watch on their 70"-90" tv screens).

Man to Man defense with 4 man pressure has been a perennial krytonite for this offense for a long time because our WR never seem to get open in time.at least in the past. Will have to see what happens this time. This is LaFell's big test , if he is more of the same or can beat man to man coverage and make some plays. Gray wont run much and I dont think the pats will try to. I see a lot of shotgun from brady (which iam not a big fan of since it takes away his PA ability)

That is where Vereen comes in.
Hit em with the angle pass routes and draws; Vereen must make them pay.

Denvers run defense worries me, but at the same time, we've done quite alright the past 3 weeks without putting up gaudy rushing numbers.

I hope they find ways to get Edelman matched up on Talib, he's generally the type of receiver that gives guys like Talib fits, and LaFell should be able to work open against Harris.

I'm not worried about Gronk getting open, he's always open, but a lot of his routes are slow developing and the tackles especially will need to give Brady time, or at least Brady will need to make time to get the ball to him.

Defensively I think we match up well, as long as Browner isn't on Sanders.

I can see Browner on JT at times where JT is out wide, but I do not see Browner moving into the slot to cover him. It was the same way last week, yes, he covered Bennet on occasion, but only when Bennet came to him, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not all that worried about our run defense, and if they run for 240 yards on us again and keep the ball out of Peyton's hands, I'm fine with that. They don't have Moreno this year and Hillman isn't that good.

The question to me comes, how do we slow down Ware/Von Miller. The Denver D seemed to be real good at sniffing out the screens (and while we can trick them once/maybe twice, they'll learn real fast).

Brady does seem to have more targets to throw to that have the option of being able to read the defense and allow for him (Brady) to make quick throws -- dink and dunk. so we also need to be able to keep the intermediate zones from being flooded with defenders (provided the Oline can give Brady 3 seconds for that zone to develop and to hurt them enough that they have to respect it).

We've had 2 games this year that have been among the loudest in recent memory, I hope those fans show up and have trouble talking the next day. A big game like this may attract more of the corporate types (i hope they stay home and watch on their 70"-90" tv screens).

On D Ware and Von Miller our TE's Gronk/Wright and our scat Back Shane Vereen needs to Chip alot before releasing into their respective routes. That should be enough for our Tackles to do their jobs. Nate Solder seems to be comfortable with Dan Connolly at LG and Ryan Wendell is a really fine RG. IF Vollmer wins most of his one one one Battles it will be along day for that Denver D. Over the past weeks Vollmer seems to be back in Pro Bowl form.

5 receivers; lots of chipping. Of course, that means 2 or more of them at any one time are selected from Gronk, Vereen, Wright or Develin.

I'm expecting Vereen to be featured a lot more than Gray compared to last week.

I disagree, at least in the running game. I don't think that Vereen is nearly as effective as a physical kind of back, and that's exactly the kind of back that we need vs a tough defense like DEN.

Hopefully, we can take advantage of some Vereen mismatches in the passing game.

Given the strength of the Denver team, I have no particular reason for feeling as confident as I do other than this is the type of game Tom Brady lives for. That gives me a great degree of comfort knowing that he doesn't just want to payback Denver for the AFC Championship, but crush them.

I'm really looking forward to this game.

I know we are talking mostly about our offense in this thread but I am looking forward very, very much to what BB has in store for Denver on D.

I think there were a few things that he has been holding back so far for bigger games. Giddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back