PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tim Wakefield

Fogbuster

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Tim Wakefield seem to pitch every other game?

Admittedly, I'm out of the market, so I don't get to see the games on TV or even on radio, but I do follow loyally from a distance via the internet.

And, kazow!! It seems almost every couple of days there is another Tim Wakefield game (and more often than not, a loss).

I like Waker, and his change-of-pace is a good thing to have every now and then. I also know that his pitching style gives him more opportunities to pitch because it's relatively easy on his arm. But, damn!

Any chance of getting this guy from the Pads who bombed us yesterday?? Guy was apparently throwing fast aspirins out there.

//

I hate watching Wakefield pitch, because you know hes going to give up a few bombs every night most likely, I dunno, I have just grown sick of watching him over the years. As far as getting Chris Young goes, no chance.

You can't have aces 1-5 in the starting rotation. If you compare Wakefield to other #4's throughout the league he comes up ok. In fact I wandered through the stat pages of 8 or 9 MLB teams just now before I came across a #4 with a better ERA than Wakes. I know on TV his pitches look like they should be crushed every time; but they work. Don't forget that part of his record is dependent on offense and we do put a lesser hitter in his games in Mirabelli; but there's no way to get around the fact that Catchers need rest. So a hindrance (Tek's days off) that should be spread around the entire rotation is dumped exclusively in Wake's lap.

Sure I'd jump at the chance to make the trade: Young for Wakes straight up, lets trade Mirabelli for Jorge Posada while we're at it:D

Don't forget that part of his record is dependent on offense and we do put a lesser hitter in his games in Mirabelli;

Unfortunately, I think you have to factor that into the Wakefield equation. Mirabelli is part of the baggage that comes with him.

I think this is his last year in the rotation. If Tek could catch him at all, putting Wake in the pen would make a lot of sense. Since he's really hot or really cold on any given night, you could discern that a lot quicker if he's working out of the pen. Rather than being stuck with a guy who doesn't have it for 6 or 7 innings, you could figure out if the knuckle ball wasn't moving from the pen, or very quickly in the game.

Last edited:

Admittedly, I'm out of the market, so I don't get to see the games on TV or even on radio, but I do follow loyally from a distance via the internet.

And, kazow!! It seems almost every couple of days there is another Tim Wakefield game (and more often than not, a loss).

I like Waker, and his change-of-pace is a good thing to have every now and then. I also know that his pitching style gives him more opportunities to pitch because it's relatively easy on his arm. But, damn!

Any chance of getting this guy from the Pads who bombed us yesterday?? Guy was apparently throwing fast aspirins out there.

//
yeah you can get chris young off of us when we become ******ed again and have another fire sale

I would prefer having lester when he comes back over wakefield.

Complaining about Wakefield is silly considering that hes doing about the same this season as Schilling but for $9M less. Miguel Batista got a 3/$25M contract this past offseason after putting up a 4.58ERA and 1.527WHIP in the NL. Wakefield, who can easily replicate those stats, is far underpaid in this current market and thus extremely valuable. He may be exasperating to watch at times, but the fact is he is a very valuable guy to have and a very good 5th starter.

Now that I think of it, Wake did work out of the bullpen in '99 I think. That would have gotten him an appearance every 3rd or 4th game or even more often. Foggy's from Prague or something. Maybe Prague's version of NESN is a few years behind the times.

Foggy did you know that Dan Duquette and Jimy Williams are out and that the Sox won it all in 2004?

Don't make fun of Czechia or I'll have to go down there and tell them what you said about them. ;)

Damn straight I know about 2004. Waited all my life for that. My first trip to Fenway was in 1955 or something like that. Remember seeing Ted Williams, the living legend that he was.

Yeah, I know for a #4 Wake's not so bad. Maybe I'm being a bit hard on the old codger. And maybe I just need to follow the games more regularly. Somebody in the Boston area can send me up my own satellite with NESN beamed down to me in LITHUANIA (not Prague).

All in all, I guess Wake's a nice complement to all the rest, but he needs to work between two hard throwers in order for his off-speed to be most effective. Francona is doing well in that regard.

On the other foot, gotta love what Beckett is doing this year!! Hope Schill gets mended/stays mended. Getting old sucks, except for the alternative.

//

Last edited:
yeah you can get chris young off of us when we become ******ed again and have another fire sale

Please hurry up and get ******ed again!! Think I'll slip Alderson a mickey at our next class reunion!!! Then bundle him down to Epstein's house; then we'll work some magic!!

//

Please hurry up and get ******ed again!! Think I'll slip Alderson a mickey at our next class reunion!!! Then bundle him down to Epstein's house; then we'll work some magic!!

//
haha i wouldn't even put it past our ownership man

i gotta say, i caught the series on nesn over the weekend and honestly remy and that other guy are the best pbp guys in baseball i've ever heard

i have never heard such unbiased announcing during a baseball game, seriously.

it was almost a red sox padres love fest 3 hours a day, without dismissing question marks of both teams , i loved it

//

Wakefield is to inconsistent for my liking. He is a knuckleball pitcher which makes him inconsistent. Its a matter of time before he hangs one out there to big smashed. Every homer he gives up is on the knuckleball. Its an easy pitch to make mistakes with.

Wakefield did OK last night, our 4-5 guys are better than many 2-3 guys, keep us in the game, eat up mucho innings and keep our bullpen fresh.

haha i wouldn't even put it past our ownership man

i gotta say, i caught the series on nesn over the weekend and honestly remy and that other guy are the best pbp guys in baseball i've ever heard

i have never heard such unbiased announcing during a baseball game, seriously.

it was almost a red sox padres love fest 3 hours a day, without dismissing question marks of both teams , i loved it

Sorry it took so long to get back; been "busy".

Yeah Rem-dog and his colleague (Tom _____; sorry I can't remember, don't get to see many games) do an excellent job, very professional. They are very impartial, almost to a fault, yet their smiles when the Sox do well gives it away :D, if the camera ever shows them. Excellent balance between Remy's blue-collar field experience and Tom's school-trained professional cool. Great team.

//

OK, so here we are almost two months later, and I say:

"Is it just me, or does it seem like forever between Wakefield starts??? :D

Gotta say, when he's on, he's great. When he's off with that floater, it seems like the world is about to cave in.

Then, again, could say that about almost any pitcher, eh. Except for the "floater" part.

//

Don't forget, Wake also makes the other pitchers better. Absolutely no one wants to hit against Wake. Then, the next day you might have to face Becket. Its all about timing.

this is the most unbelievable thing: Tim Wakefield is 30 wins away from being the #1 ALL-TIME Red Sox leader in wins.
He has 163. Clemens and Cy Young are at 192.

Can you even IMAGINE Wakefield ending up #1 of all-time?

Difficult to complain about anything he does; he keeps his mouth shut, pretty consistently eats up a lot of innings, great contract, keeps the batters off balance, great professional teammate and he has 12 wins.. find nothing to complain about what he does for this team, today he is third in innings pitched after Dice-K and Beckett..

this is the most unbelievable thing: Tim Wakefield is 30 wins away from being the #1 ALL-TIME Red Sox leader in wins.
He has 163. Clemens and Cy Young are at 192.

Can you even IMAGINE Wakefield ending up #1 of all-time?

Who'd a thunk it. Actually, in looking back, there is no pitcher who really had a long *and* successful stint with the Sox, other than Clemens, that I can think of. Tiant was only a few years. Lonborg started like a house on fire, then crippled himself skiing. The rest... no one stands out.

But to think Wake could surpass both Clemens and "Cy Young"!! is genuinely amazing. One thing about knuckleballers: they do have longevity if they are decently efficient. Wear and tear is much less than with a usual hard-thrower.

//

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back