Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tim Tebow & the NFL

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Real World, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

What do you guys think Tebow's NFL prospects are? Is he a QB at the pro level? Could he succeed there? Is he a FB, H-back, or maybe a TE? Does he even have an NFL career ahead of him? He's listed at 6'3 & 235 lbs, with a 4.5/4.7 - 40 time. After the Vince Young flop, will a team invest a high pick in Tebow as a QB? I personally don't think so, but I'm curious how others in here see him.
  2. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

He's definitely not a QB with the offense Urban Meyer runs and the ducks he throws. Good arm for most part, great accuracy, NO TOUCH. And I'm a Gator fan, mind you. I do think he'll be a very good NFL tight end though. He's too atheletic not to go into the league.
  3. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

He'll never be a success at quarterback in this league.

Exciting to watch at College level, but he's just not got the game for a pro QB.
  4. BritPat

BritPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#54 Jersey

Mind you, can you imagine running the Wildcat with him in there assuming he's drafted as a receiver or TE (hypothetically)?

That would be fun and games.
  5. cstjohn17

cstjohn17 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +4 / 2 / -0

#54 Jersey

He is a winner, I would draft him. Look at the crap there is in the NFL at the Qb position, he would at least be middle of the road with big upside.
  6. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I can't see him being a starting NFL QB. He just doesn't throw it that well and he isn't going to be a big time runner in the NFL.

What does work in his favor is the NFL has seemingly found a better way to use versatile athletes like Tebow as role players on offense in recent years. I'd expect him to be a day 2 pick and project in that type of role.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  7. PromisedLand

PromisedLand Virtual Internet Person

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I was very impressed by his accuracy in the SEC championship. I think he can learn touch, but accuracy is a rare quality.
  8. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

I can see him being drafted as a QB if the team planned on using his particular skills. The quadruple option at UF (run, quick forward pitch, outside pitch, traditional pass) suits him perfectly. Of course he would have to run less on Sundays than he does on Saturdays to avoid injury.

So while I think it is possible, I'm not sure there is a coach willing to implement an offense that would be optimal for Tebow. As a side note, I believe O'Connell was drafted to run more of a spread offense rather than be a pocket passer.
  9. Boston Boxer

Boston Boxer U.S. Air Force Retired PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

i think his only position in the NFL would be TE. I am sure he would need a tone of coaching, but some other college QBs have made the transition to TE and WR. I will say TE
  10. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

See Alex Smith of San Fran for an idea of how Tebow would do in the NFL.
  11. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I don't know how good Tebow will be in the NFL as a QB, but the Alex Smith comparison is not really accurate. Tebow is bigger and more durable than Smith, also has bigger hands and plays better competition. While not being a great passer, he can throw the ball down the field much better than Smith can. Just because they have had the same college coach, they are far different talent wise.
  12. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

#15 Jersey

Who is the last college qb that you would compare Tebow to............................ I can't think of one. Maybe you would say Flutie, in that both are/were not the typical model that an NFL team would look for. Thinking outside the box, put Tebow on a team which uses the Wildcat formation in half of its formations. Consider pairing him with a scat back such as the Jets Leon Washington or a Kevin Faulk, and a hybrid RB or WR who can throw. Tebow would take some licks, but the guy is built like a RB, and could slide when he wanted. Team his up with an OC who puts in plays that take advantage of another teams weaknesses.
    Vick could run and did convincingly, but he couldn't always throw. Tebow can throw. I'm not saying he would be successful, but in the right situation it would be very interesting.
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Tight end, people, tight end. You still run trick plays with throws down the field using the tight end. It may take him a season or two to learn how to play the position (ala Matt Jones) but he would be deadly in this area.
  14. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vince Young? Tebow's a better passer, Young's probably a touch faster/quicker

Tebow's drawbacks in my mind are mostly mechanical. His delivery can be ugly at times, but he's got an NFL arm. And there would also be a learning curve - I could count the number of times he's taking a five or seven step drop probably on one hand. But the good news is that Tebow's a quick learner. Unlike VY, I can pretty much guarantee you that he won't get a 4 on his Wonderlick (sp?).

Would I use a first round pick on him? Probably not, but I could see a team drafting him as a QB in the 3rd or 4th round.
  15. chrisfx811

chrisfx811 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Huge Gator/Tebow fan here.

I haven't seen enough that makes me think he could play NFL QB. His mechanics are not very good, he seems to have a long throwing motion, and doesn't throw a tight ball at all. His accuracy is better than his ball looks though. He's got Matt Cassel's mobility with Philip Rivers' mechanics.

He's built like a mini tank and can deliver hits rather than take them, but at the NFL level he'll be getting hit by All Americans, and All conference players day in and day out.

The plays they run at UF don't work well in the NFL, so it's hard to envision him in a more traditional offense. He's built to play TE or a Dallas Clark type slot guy, but with the ability to pass as well. Is he a better Kordell Stewart? Does it matter?
  16. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +98 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

You guys should learn that when Gator fans don't think Tebow can be an NFL starting quality QB, he probably won't be.
  17. billdog3484

billdog3484 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

i think comparing him to Alex Smith makes no sense. they are different types of QBs. thats like comparing Peyton Manning to Tee Martin simply because they had the same person running the offenses they ran
  18. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

Alex Smith couldn't play H-back or TE. Tebow can.
  19. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

I think Tebow could also afford a team some roster flexibility. He could maybe be the 3rd string QB, while playing TE, or H-back. Some coaches love that type of roster flexibility.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

Shame Belichick isn't one of them. ;)
  21. They_Hate_We

They_Hate_We Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'm an LSU alumni myself, so here's my Tebow take. He is a strong character guy with amazing desire and determination (think Welker, Tasker). He's built rugged with a full compliment of tools for a college QB. His problem is his tools will be weaknesses in the NFL. His arm is good, but not great. His speed is good, but not great. etc... etc...

He'll be a late rounder HB/TE/possible emergency QB. IMHO, he definitely makes the pros, and contributes a solid (albeit unspectacular) career.
  22. Real American Hero

Real American Hero Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

While its not something I'd wish the Patriots to try, I always thought it would be cool when Vick was in the league to pair him with a true pass first QB and run an offense where either Vick or the QB could take the snap on any given play. But Vick would be a liability when the "real" QB took the snap because he is limited as a blocker. Tebow probably would be able to block, take a direct snap and pass or run or take a handoff and pass or run. Might be something interesting for a middle of the road or god-awful team to try, especially if Tebow can be had as a second day draft pick.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.