PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tim Graham vs. James Walker on better rivalry: Steelers/Ravens or Pats/Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kontradiction

On my retirement tour.
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Even though it's between two ESPN hacks, I thought it was a pretty decent read. Not a mind-blowingly solid debate, but an entertaining one nonetheless.

Double Coverage: Best divisional rivalry - AFC North Blog - ESPN

Two of the NFL's hottest rivalries will take center stage in Week 13. Lucky for us.

The Pittsburgh Steelers will visit the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday night. The New York Jets then will visit the New England Patriots on Monday night. Combined record of the four teams: 34-10.

Millions of football fans will be tuned in to see both marquee matchups with superstars and storylines aplenty.

But which pairing represents the NFL's best divisional rivalry?

Each matchup has a history, quality quarterbacks and plenty at stake for the playoffs. A couple of feisty bloggers -- James Walker from the AFC North and Tim Graham from the AFC East -- will state a case for why his division has the better rivalry.

Personally, I think it's no contest. Pats/Jets has more venom, more controversy, and more history behind it than Steelers/Ravens does. If the Browns are ever any good, Steelers/Ravens isn't even the hottest rivalry in it's own division.

I agree. Nobody cares about the Steelers and the Ravens rivalry except for Steelers and Ravens fans.

But the best rivalry in football is the Pats and Colts.

I agree. Nobody cares about the Steelers and the Ravens rivalry except for Steelers and Ravens fans.

But the best rivalry in football is the Pats and Colts.

Pats/Colts is a respectful rivalry. There's no respect between the Jets and Pats.

There is no rivalry between a Hammer and a Nail :rocker:

This is a special game befitting a special rivalry. Your game features clubs that needed overtime to beat the Buffalo Bills. I'll expect that resignation letter by kickoff.

That line is awesome. If he'd started with that one, the article would have been very short. :D

That line is awesome. If he'd started with that one, the article would have been very short. :D

+1

Awesome line. Also Im pretty sure Graham just kicked Walker's @ss. Verbally.

Steelers-Ravens is a better recent rivalry than Jets-Patriots. They seriously bash the crap out of each other every time they play. Perhaps if the Jets start winning more it'll be more of a rivalry but we've a 2/3 match win ratio against the Jets in recent seasons.

Last edited:
Pats/Colts is a respectful rivalry. There's no respect between the Jets and Pats.
The rivalry between the Jets and Pats is starting to heat up like it did when Parcells and BB going to New York, BB going back to New England and Mangini going to New York.

The Herm Edwards years sucked.

Last edited:
Steelers-Ravens is a better recent rivalry than Jets-Patriots. They seriously bash the crap out of each other every time they play. Perhaps if the Jets start winning more it'll be more of a rivalry but we've a 2/3 match win ratio against the Jets in recent seasons.
You can't be serious?

Look at my above post and tell us that the Steelers/Ravens rivarly is better than the Pats/Jets or Pats/Colts.

Usually I'm right there with you, but you've lost me on this one.

2006: Split
2007: Pats sweep
2008: Split
2009: Split

In 2010, if we beat them on Monday night, it will be another split. Meaning we will have split with them in four of the last five seasons. That's certainly not a 2/3 win ratio.

Usually I'm right there with you, but you've lost me on this one.

2006: Split
2007: Pats sweep
2008: Split
2009: Split

In 2010, if we beat them on Monday night, it will be another split. Meaning we will have split with them in four of the last five seasons. That's certainly not a 2/3 win ratio.

============================================

closer to 1/3.

The Jets rivalry has always been the Dolphins.

Then there was the Bill Parcells, Bill Bilicheck, Curtis martin, Mangini, Tampering, Spygate, etc.

The rivalry between the Jets and Pats is definitely heating up.

And I like it.

Last edited:
You may say I'm biased but I'd say Steelers-Ravens. The reason's simple--the Jets just haven't been very competitive. (If the alternative was Pats-*Colts* I might have a different answer). The Jets have won, what, one division title since 2000? And until very very recently (ie last year) the Jets just haven't made much postseason noise so it doesn't feel like there's a ton on the line when those two play.

Pittsburgh and Baltimore have won 7 of the last 9 North titles, so usually the division title is more or less at stake with these games. They've won 3 SBs since 2000, so it's not like the games don't matter.

I know the style of the games isn't for everyone--they're bloodbaths, so big fans of offensive fireworks or fantasy football aren't interested--but there's no questioning that the games actually matter. Plus recently the games have been incredibly close (last 6 games decided by less than 7 points, 2 going to OT--the one exception being the AFC title game).

If it were Pats-Colts I'd probably vote that way. The marquee nature (Brady/Manning) plus the more high-flying style probably has a much broader appeal.

For me it has to do with the regions...NE/Boston vs. NY is going to always be more heated than Pitt vs Baltimore...That being said I hate all NY teams:mad::mad::mad:

As an old time fan, we have never had a NY/Bos rivalry with the Jets except during the BB vs Parcells era.

Our divisional rival has always been Miami. the funny thing is, years ago, Miami didn't even consider us a rival (for good reason) but we did. Must have been Shula. The snowplow incident, where Shula's head almost exploded, was like pulling God's pants down, it was awesome.

If Miami was 9-2, I guarantee it would be more of a rival feeling and I don't know why. Rivalries aren't logical. I think part of it is the snowbird effect.

Wow, I wouldn't consider either of these to be among the best rivalries in the NFL. The Patriots-Jets is good, but the any Jets fan will say the Phins are their biggest rival. Meanwhile, the only time I remember the Pats and Jets playing for something really meaningful was the Wild Card game in '06. You'd think that after so many years going head-to-head, there would be too many huge games to choose from.

As for the Steelers-Ravens, the only thing I see in common is they both have whiny b*tch players. For Pittsburgh, it's pretty much their whole team, and the Ravens have Suggs. That and the star players of both teams are criminals. I would hardly call this a great rivalry either. They've both been good for the last decade, and neither has been good enough to sit atop the NFL in terms of reputation.

The best rivalries in the NFL, based on history, are the Pats-Colts (simply because of Brady-Manning), basically every NFC East game, and every NFC game outside of the Lions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back