Welcome to PatsFans.com

Tillman's family REJECTS findings, wants congressional hearing

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Mar 27, 2007.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Bush did not do it, but it happened in an environment espoused by Rumsfield and his boss, GWB.
  4. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +116 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

You guys are preaching this stuff to yourselves. Blaming the "Rumsfeld environment" and his boss GWB may make you feel good, but be serious here, the ones responsible were trying to cover thier own asses. It a gigantic stretch to say that Rumsfeld and Bush caused them to try and cover it up.

Step back from the Bush hatred for a minute everybody and try and look at things a little more objectively.
  5. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

But I thought the constitution says that the president is commander in chief of the armed forces.. oops, forgot George said that the "Constitution is just a goddam piece of paper."

No one said they caused them to cover it up, however the president and sec of defense set a tone and define expectations of the military. If the prez stretches the truth, the sec of defense nods in agreement.. what does all of those they lead do??
  6. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Bush had nothing to do with this. The military in general is shrouded in secrecy and classified information. All information is first filtered. It is a shame that it is this way, and that it took an NFL celebrity to shed light on the lies that the military passes down to the masses on a regular basis.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +195 / 7 / -23

Bush has everything to do with this and all things military, your point is that he is so insulated. My point is the opposite, by the nature of his office he is responsible for all things military.. it is less about Tillman and more about his responsibility intrinsic with his oath of office. If the Tillman family or any family want answers they are entitled to the truth, not 3 or 4 sanitized versions of the same act.
  8. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

Are you trying to say that the war in Afghanistan is unjustified or wrong?

The Tillman loss is beyond tragic. The man exemplifies everything that a hero, and honorable man could be. This guy was someone to look up to. Unfortunately, he died from friendly fire. I'm not sure what the family is looking to find here. Does the family think that that someone murdered him? That people wanted to kill him, or for him to die? I'm not sure what they are searching for. Honestly, I don't.
  9. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Well, it's clear the military lied to the family, and they probably want the appropriate leaders punished for military lies and disinformation.
  10. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +317 / 4 / -2

They lied about saying it was combat first, when it was friendly fire during combat. They could have just told the truth from the beginning, but my guess is that combat sounds more heroic than friendly fire, which is truly tragic. In no way should that excuse the misinformation. I guess they want people to be punished for not offering the truth to begin with. Fair enough. It just reads to me like they feel that somebody killed their son purposely is all. Everytime I hear the story, or see his picture, I feel depressed. The guy is a legitimate hero.